Hot Toys ROTJ Emperor Palpatine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol there was someone in another thread here who talked about ordering from SS to keep them performing well financially. I just don't get it, they're making money hand over fist on basically everything 1/6 or statues in the US and Europe.

Sounds like a shill to me.

Just opened this guy. Very nice, but you can see that finding exactly the right pose is going to be key to selling it as Palps. Happier with the hood out of the box than I thought I'd be.

I can also see why I've liked this guy more standing than displayed on the throne - the headsculpt is tricky. I think it works with the body and robe carefully futzed into a very Palps-like iconic standing pose, but simply sitting on the throne (in that slumped watching-the-game pose) it's more reliant solely on the headsculpt selling it as Palps and I'm not sure its quite enough. IMO this figure needs the standing pose - because there's a lot of Palps likeness you can generate with just the body and hands posing that combined with the headsculpt/hood sells Palps.

Interesting that there's so much plastic around the arms/head where it touches the robe. I've never seen a figure's forearms wrapped all the way up past the elbows before. Slightly concerning. You'd think it would be easier to find a way to chemically set the dye so it never stains painted heads/hands/arms than constantly placing this plastic and putting warning on the figure - I mean Palps is pretty much 100% pale skin against a black robe, how are you supposed to keep them apart?

All this talk about staining....I still have not seen a picture that show it happening...

I am not sure if its as wide spread as people worry about.....essentially we had one figure that I saw any proof of the issue..

That being said its weird they wrapped him that way. It could be a response to the customers using “staining” as a return excuse.

Also, my Deluxe has no shipping date yet from SSC.
I am sure they will charge 30 for that box.
Which is why this was my last order from them. The definitely do not respect their customers....shipping os only the tip of the iceberg.

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Just opened this guy. Very nice, but you can see that finding exactly the right pose is going to be key to selling it as Palps. Happier with the hood out of the box than I thought I'd be.

I can also see why I've liked this guy more standing than displayed on the throne - the headsculpt is tricky. I think it works with the body and robe carefully futzed into a very Palps-like iconic standing pose, but simply sitting on the throne (in that slumped watching-the-game pose) it's more reliant solely on the headsculpt selling it as Palps and I'm not sure its quite enough. IMO this figure needs the standing pose - because there's a lot of Palps likeness you can generate with just the body and hands posing that combined with the headsculpt/hood sells Palps.

Interesting that there's so much plastic around the arms/head where it touches the robe. I've never seen a figure's forearms wrapped all the way up past the elbows before. Slightly concerning. You'd think it would be easier to find a way to chemically set the dye so it never stains painted heads/hands/arms than constantly placing this plastic and putting warning on the figure - I mean Palps is pretty much 100% pale skin against a black robe, how are you supposed to keep them apart?

Glad you are pleased with the hood. I was concerned it was too small. So you think the hood is large enough to futz properly?

I also agree that he looks better standing. That's the reason I passed on the deluxe version and opted for a second Royal Guard.

Looking forward to pictures.

I just managed to swap my original single figure order to the Deluxe version. I've also managed to sell my Sideshow Emperor with Exclusive head and Throne, it cost me about $50 to upgrade from Sideshow to Hot Toys.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I just managed to swap my original single figure order to the Deluxe version. I've also managed to sell my Sideshow Emperor with Exclusive head and Throne, it cost me about $50 to upgrade from Sideshow to Hot Toys.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Nicely done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is a somewhat peculiar figure, positives and negatives - I haven't really had a chance to do much futzing or even place it in the display where it will be. This is a pic of it just set up temporarily without much in the way of tweaks in bright natural daylight. I do think the hot toplight will look best as other pics have proven.

nlT4jcg.jpg

I will say that I think the non-yellow eyes (they're kind of brown) hurt it more than I thought it would, even though they are pretty tiny overall. It's one of the factors that turns him from Palps into simply an elderly man.

I also think the hands might be a tad oversized, either that or maybe the head is slightly undersized - I haven't had time to compare it yet. There's just a bit of slight mismatch between the head and hands sizing.

Despite this being out in asia/europe for a while, there has been a surprisingly low amount of pics of this figure. SO far almost no photo i've seen makes him look too great. I am kinda having second thoughts on having preordered this figure. I guess if i am unsatisfied i can return it to ssc.

Despite this being out in asia/europe for a while, there has been a surprisingly low amount of pics of this figure. SO far almost no photo i've seen makes him look too great. I am kinda having second thoughts on having preordered this figure. I guess if i am unsatisfied i can return it to ssc.

For me It's the eyes and the grin.

Also doesn’t help the sculpt is smooth and needs to have more wrinkles. It’s a soft sculpt and missing the skin texture the emperor has like oatmeal skin.

^^^ I was thinking that as well. Too smooth and pasty looking. Not wrinkled like it should be. More RotS in that way.

Seems like another idealized rendition which seems to be a frequent problem with Hot Toys Star Wars figures. Although I think their Tony Stark headsculpt looks just like Robert Downey Jr. (I don't have it, just remarking on high quality pics I've seen, maybe I'm wrong).

Also doesn’t help the sculpt is smooth and needs to have more wrinkles. It’s a soft sculpt and missing the skin texture the emperor has like oatmeal skin.

I think most of the wrinkles are there, but they've clearly been softened a bit from the proto like we see with all HT sculpts (like Tarkin). Filling those wrinkles in and highlighting them more with paint should hopefully give him that older look he needs. I guess that's an extra step the production painters just don't have time to take.

But hey, at least they didn't make him too tan like we see with every other HT figure! :D

Yeah there haven't been a ton of great in-hand shots of this guy so far, but when it's futzed and lighted the right way (like below, or in Otaku Surf's review) it seems to look pretty damn good. So I'm still hopeful.

But this seems to be one of those figures like Chewy, where every figure is going to look wildly different depending on how people choose to pose and futz him. It's not going to look perfect right out of the box.

Got my standard edition today....and been a loooooong time since i posted :rotfl

View attachment 429425

Just checked and Sideshow still has my last payment set for Nov 15. I guess we can see on a few days where they are as far as getting ready to distribute the figure in the US.

I personally think a lot of it has to do with the sculpt expression, because it’s so scene specific. There’s more poses that make him look goofy than there is that make him look good. The pose has to match the expression exactly.

Back