1/6 Hot Toys R2-D2 (Artoo-Detoo) - TFA Version

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks so much, Timemeddler! Much appreciated! I think they look terrific together - and, indeed, the size relationship might be a little more accurate than the Sideshow R2/C-3PO combo (if A New Hope stills are anything to go by).

View attachment 387879

Thanks again. :)

I think they look great together too! The only two issues I can think of with the SS 3PO is that the thumbs are ****ed-up (Sideshow put them on the wrong way round!) and that he is about 1/4 of an inch too tall. Apart from that, I think he’s an excellent figure!

Hi! I'm looking for some advice. I already have the Sphero R2-D2, but not displaying it atm, since it realy feels like a toy. Looks like a toy. R2-D2 is one of my favorite characters, so I do want a statue/figure of him on display. Don't know wether to go for this Hot Toys version (which I can score in the Netherlands for around 250 euro), or the premium format R2-D2 (which is around 450..). Thinking of the R2-D2 Hot Toys version, because it's a bit smaller and in same scale as Rey 1/6 (only one I have atm from SW), but I don't know if it's worth it? Is it worth the money, or am I better off just trying to love the Sphero one? Is the difference really big? The Premium format is in my mind, because it would be epic to have a big R2-D2 in the home, alongside C3PO and BB8 in the future.

Not sure about after market prices in Europe but that sounds a bit too much for a HT R2.
Edit: compared to here in the states.

Yeah, I agree. Not many companies ship to the Netherlands, so I depend on Dutch sellers, but the prices...

Then again, I know I want them, so now it's just finding the proper choice.

Well that price may go down a bit but if you like the figure get it or wait since HT might make ANH version but who knows when.

Well that price may go down a bit but if you like the figure get it or wait since HT might make ANH version but who knows when.

Point is that I don't know wether to buy the HT version, just keep the Sphero version (is the HT version worth the upgrade?), or go for the premium format versions :)

Depends if you are displaying with other 1/6 or if you collect statues since the PF is 1/4 I believe. Definitely an upgrade from the Sphero although he does seem to be a cool functioning toy.

I got Jyn Erso and Rey coming next week (1/6 Hot Toys), which will be my first SW figures, so I guess the 1/6 R2-D2 would make more sense. Hard to know wether or not he's worth the upgrade over the Sphero though (which felt really cheap in my hands..). Plus I can't seem to find a C-3PO 1/6 in the Netherlands.

It’s definitely a big improvement from the pictures I’ve seen—haven’t seen the Sphero in person but I believe it is a bit too small. I would maybe keep an eye out on Hong Kong sellers as they probably ship anywhere and maybe even mark down the item if customs/taxes are an issue.

I got Jyn Erso and Rey coming next week (1/6 Hot Toys), which will be my first SW figures, so I guess the 1/6 R2-D2 would make more sense. Hard to know wether or not he's worth the upgrade over the Sphero though (which felt really cheap in my hands..). Plus I can't seem to find a C-3PO 1/6 in the Netherlands.

If you're looking for details and accuracy, the HT R2 is the way to go. Although some would pick the Tama R2, I still went for HT. The figure itselff is very realistic. The metal dome is the major point. Plus the weathering on the body looks great. I cleaned up the dome and just left a few dirt and grime (from Antra's advice) and looks much better..

If R2D2 is your favorite character, I recommend the Hot Toys version too. Not only is it the most accurate-looking figure, but it has lights and sound as well. You'll need to fiddle with the remote control a bit, and keep the batteries fresh- but the sound quality is quite good. The sounds are a huge part of R2's character.

Oh my, didn't realize he sold out already...

Is there any chance C-3PO might come out in a set pack with R2? I'm wondering if there is need to jump on the waitlist or if they will make him again as perhaps ANH or RoTJ version even though they're all practically the same, but like they did with BB-8.

Is water wet? :lol - HT'll get an OT R2 out eventually, I really believe so.

Timewalker Toys still has this guy at retail and you can use a $15 off coupon right now that takes care of the shipping. WINTER15

Saw this up-close in person for the first time today and was kinda surprised to be somewhat unimpressed. Just like the SSC R2, the dome weathering seems to obscure a bit too much, in this case that nice metal.

It's good, but I really thought I was going to be blown away by the "it's R2 straight from the movie, just shrunk down" type realism but really wasn't - just looked like a nice 1/6 R2.

I can’t wait to get him in. As unimpressed as I was with that cheap piece of crap Sideshow gave us, I’m pumped to have an actual good quality R2. :lol

Back