1/6 Hot Toys R2-D2 (Artoo-Detoo) - TFA Version

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a few SS R2’s with the the goal of getting one where the seam was minimal (took advantage of different sales and sold off the ones that weren’t great), though even if it’s bad you can usually rotate R2’s dome a bit to minimize the issue head on. Another thing that can be done if you don’t mind minor customizing is taking some isopropyl alcohol to the dome (with a q-tip or cotton ball) to remove the grime a bit and make the silver paint pop a bit more. The Sideshow R2 held up okay for me. It just became an issue when I had both. I wish I could have held out for the OT one from Hot Toys but I was weak and pre-ordered this one some time back. I thought to myself maybe I could have one R2 that just does nothing, and then I’ll get the OT version for some of the gadgets, but I know I’ll just drop this one if the OT version is clearly better.

I bought a few SS R2’s with the the goal of getting one where the seam was minimal (took advantage of different sales and sold off the ones that weren’t great), though even if it’s bad you can usually rotate R2’s dome a bit to minimize the issue head on. Another thing that can be done if you don’t mind minor customizing is taking some isopropyl alcohol to the dome (with a q-tip or cotton ball) to remove the grime a bit and make the silver paint pop a bit more. The Sideshow R2 held up okay for me. It just became an issue when I had both. I wish I could have held out for the OT one from Hot Toys but I was weak and pre-ordered this one some time back. I thought to myself maybe I could have one R2 that just does nothing, and then I’ll get the OT version for some of the gadgets, but I know I’ll just drop this one if the OT version is clearly better.

I see. From the sound of what you are saying (and from some of our other discussions about troopers) you and I seem to be on the same page with what we like to display - and I'm thinking I may very well be a bit disappointed with the SS R2 after being spoiled with HT quality droids so far. I'm sure we will get an OT one - the question is what will come with it and how that will compare. I could see HT doing a deluxe and normal edition with the materials that SS has as accessories as well.

If I might ask one question, should you have him too, how did the SS R2 compare to the HT BB8? That would be R2's direct competition on the shelf, so that would be a strong deciding factor. Appreciate your time, bud!

BB-8 mostly comes across as plastic but maybe with the K-2 the quality difference becomes more evident. Unfortunately I just sold my SS R2 last week but I can dig up a few comparison pics—I know I took a few of the SS R2 with BB8 and with the HT R2.

BB-8 mostly comes across as plastic but maybe with the K-2 the quality difference becomes more evident. Unfortunately I just sold my SS R2 last week but I can dig up a few comparison pics—I know I took a few of the SS R2 with BB8 and with the HT R2.

If you might have one that would be awesome to see really quick. I think I've got till 2am CST to decide since the code is still working. Appreciate it, TonTon!

Sorry for the delay here. Here are some comparisons I took, don't have any shots of HT R2 with BB-8 and K-2 unfortunately.

DSC_0456.jpg
DSC_0457.jpg
DSC_0433.jpg
DSC_0385.jpg
DSC_0386.jpg
DSC_0021.jpg

Great to see side by side photos posted (I have both the SS and HT R2) I like having both; best of both worlds: SS has the opening doors and gizmos, HT has the metal dome and weight/ sounds. Both are nice to have.

Sorry for the delay here. Here are some comparisons I took, don't have any shots of HT R2 with BB-8 and K-2 unfortunately.

Seriously TonTon, you've got the best comparison shots around for this. I was surprised how hard it was to find good, simple shots like this that really make the differences and similarities apparent. That being said - I have to say, the SS one holds ground really well, far better than I expected. The finish on the HT dome is almost too shiny due to the die cast perhaps? But other aspects of finishes are very superior on HT. The mold seam is a bit irritating. Interesting comparison - and no worries on the delay bud, I need to think on this more before making a decision; I also need to even out my PayPal statement before I make another 1/6 Payment - the Punisher took that balance this month :rotfl. Really though, thanks for these - they're really great and I suspect/hope this will also help a lot of other members.

I think the HT dome is too dark, with the finish far too grimy/rusted (although this might be in keeping with the R2-D2 of The Force Awakens). For some reason, for me, the SS dome and 'face' (for lack of a better word) reads more like R2-D2: the SS dome is a little wider, so the rise isn't so sharp on the sides, and it just feels a little 'softer' in character for me - which is R2-D2.

But yes, TonTon, many thanks for those comparison pics. Much appreciated. :)

I think the HT dome is too dark, with the finish far too grimy/rusted (although this might be in keeping with the R2-D2 of The Force Awakens). For some reason, for me, the SS dome and 'face' (for lack of a better word) reads more like R2-D2
When I first took the HT version out of the box, the dome looked too dark for my liking too. I decided to try to polish away the grime, and it came off very easily with a dry paper towel. Not that I prefer the 'clean look', I don't. I just wanted the metal to stand out, and cleaning off the grime really makes a difference. Now I can add my own oil and dirt touches to the metal dome, in corners, isolated spots, etc... I have the SS version too, and I think the HT wins hands down. I don't need all the opening doors and gadgets. For me, the shiny metal dome and larger size make all the difference, especially standing next to my Tamishi Nations C-3PO.

When I first took the HT version out of the box, the dome looked too dark for my liking too. I decided to try to polish away the grime, and it came off very easily with a dry paper towel. Not that I prefer the 'clean look', I don't. I just wanted the metal to stand out, and cleaning off the grime really makes a difference. Now I can add my own oil and dirt touches to the metal dome, in corners, isolated spots, etc... I have the SS version too, and I think the HT wins hands down. I don't need all the opening doors and gadgets. For me, the shiny metal dome and larger size make all the difference, especially standing next to my Tamishi Nations C-3PO.

Was thinking of doing the same but still hesitant though. Can you post pics of your HT R2?

Was thinking of doing the same but still hesitant though. Can you post pics of your HT R2?
My phone takes crappy photos, and I loaned my digital camera to my sister. Trust me though- the dome polishes clean very easily, and it makes it look so much better and really shows a true metal look. The problem was that the dirtiness was too evenly spread all over the whole dome, making it look too dark and 'coated'. Once that film is polished off, the metal actually LOOKS like metal... then oil and dirt accents can be added.

My phone takes crappy photos, and I loaned my digital camera to my sister. Trust me though- the dome polishes clean very easily, and it makes it look so much better and really shows a true metal look. The problem was that the dirtiness was too evenly spread all over the whole dome, making it look too dark and 'coated'. Once that film is polished off, the metal actually LOOKS like metal... then oil and dirt accents can be added.

please could you show us a crappy picture?

thanks...!

Holding R2 outside my window in natural overcast light, the photos came out not too bad. Note: In order to install the internal magnet for the restraining bolt, I had to cut out a disc shape of white plastic under the dome to gain access to the inside of the body. There are no 'vital organs' under the hole I cut, so no problem there.KIMG0314.jpgKIMG0313.JPGKIMG0311.JPGKIMG0312.JPGThe pic below shows the hole I cut under the dome. I could have made it even larger if I wanted to, and it wouldn't harm anything as you can see. I glued a magnet to hold the bolt on R2's body, (actually I stacked two magnets together, to increase the pull through the plastic body to the outside) and I also glued in a magnet at the top so I can store the restraining bolt hidden under the dome, so it won't get lost when I'm not displaying it. I also put in a few heavy steel screws and nuts to make the center of gravity lower and add some extra heft.KIMG0318.JPG

Last edited:
Great work Antra! I will do like what you did. Except I don't have a magnetic restraining bolt to attach. Might fabricate one though.

Great work Antra! I will do like what you did. Except I don't have a magnetic restraining bolt to attach. Might fabricate one though.
I have some silicone rubber mold making compound, so I just might take a cast and make some extra bolts to spread around, if there is interest. I also have a bunch of neodymium magnets identical to the ones I glued inside the body, so maybe I'll sell a restraining bolt with magnets as a sort of 'Episode IV conversion kit'.

Last edited:
I have some silicone rubber mold making compound, so I just might take a cast and make some extra bolts to spread around, if there is interest. I also have a bunch of neodymium magnets identical to the one I glued inside the body, so maybe I'll sell a restraining bolt with magnets as a sort of 'Episode IV conversion kit'.

I'd be glad to have one or two of those. Let me know how much will it cost with shipping to Manila.

Thanks!

I'm seriously considering sculpting a Kenny Baker head and shoulders as a tribute to our fallen hero. I would also buy a 1/6 scale fabric shirt to match the shirts he wears in various behind-the-scenes photos- I know I can find a very close match to one of them, so the finished display has a quality 'HT' look to it.

Fitting it in would require some extra work though; I would need to completely remove the existing white plastic 'lid' under the dome, and make it so that it can be put back in again to hold the dome like it does now. When I want to display Kenny, I would need a metal ring to sit at the top edge of the R2 body, as shown in the photo below. The metal ring would represent the bottom rim of the metal dome, but I certainly can't cut off that ring from the existing dome- so I would make a seperate one just for the Kenny display option.View attachment 386118

Last edited:
So I followed Anthra's advice and cleaned the dome off. Although I still left a few grime and dirt. The dome is lighter and looks much better.

Before and after pics below.

Attachments

• P1130592.JPG
    P1130592.JPG
    588.4 KB · Views: 239
  • P1130593.JPG
    P1130593.JPG
    574.6 KB · Views: 236
  • P1130595.JPG
    P1130595.JPG
    579.1 KB · Views: 237
  • P1130596.JPG