1/6 Hot Toys R2-D2 (Artoo-Detoo) - TFA Version

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my HT artoo yesterday. My first impression was that the metal dome looks too grey, but that changes in better lighting conditions. This HT version is 5mm taller than the sideshow, which is great for better scale. The overall body looks great, and the smaller details are much more refined and accurate than the SS version. My main concern is with the lighting features.

1) The colored LEDs are way too bright in some cases. The twin over-and-under rectangles on the 'face' of R2 should be less bright, and should have a blue tint. The narrow horizontal rectangle on the rear of the dome that flashes in left-to-right sequence is too bright also, and it needs a yellow-green tint.

I fixed this by opening the bottom plate of the dome and inserting some color gels. The improvement is striking, and totally worth doing. It's surprisingly easy to do this, because each LED chip has two little white plastic tabs at the bottom; perfect places to put a tiny bead of superglue, then glue on a color gel in front of each light.​

2) The three-position light feature was wired in the wrong sequence. The lights were soldered to the wrong points. Let's say position #1 is OFF. As it is now, position #2 turns on the three 'eye' lights, or 'projectors'. At no point in any of the films did we see the 'eye' lights being on while all the colored flashing lights were off. That never happened. Position #3 turns on ALL lights...

This is how the sequence should be so it makes sense: Position #1 = OFF. Position #2 = ONLY FLASHING COLORED LIGHTS ON. Position #3 = ALL LIGHTS ON, including projectors.

That way, you can have the normal colored lights that we always see running, without the projectors on. (that's how we see R2 through 90% of his screen time) Then if you wish, you can add the 'eye' projector lights too. I'm convinced the chip sequence was intended to accomplish this, and it would have- IF they had soldered the correct wires to the correct terminals- but they didn't. I think there was a lack of communication between the department that designed the chips, with their correct intentions, and the people who programmed the automated soldering machine to do the work.

I fixed the color gels, but I can't re-solder such tiny connections to fix the light sequence. If I want the colored lights to be on separate from the projectors, I'll have to install a new set of lights, wires, and battery supply, while keeping the original circuit intact to preserve the sound... I'll sacrifice the touch-on light feature, but I can live with that.

Last edited:
Photo0703_001.jpg

Picked this lil fella up from a UK website ( UKTOYZ ). Gave him a quick once over to check he all worked before wrapping him up for someone's surprise Christmas gift. I went with this rather then then the sideshow one due to the dome being metal and better overall weathering effects. For an extra 30 GBP it made sense ( for me at least lol) Wish he had a bit more weight to him, even if they just put a few weights in the body. He's certainly over priced. However once he's lit and posed he does look fantastic. (Ignore that strange white camera artefact on the bottom left of the canister, and I took the advice of others and switched it off on the inside before wrapping him back up)

He fits right in with my ANH display. I love him!

Attachments

• IMG_4792.jpg
    IMG_4792.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 283
I love this figure, but I wish the sound would actually WORK more than 5% of the time... The infrared remote is such a cheap piece of junk. For some reason, even with brand-new batteries, the remote beam just won't activate the sound 95% of the time. When it does work, it works fine- for about 5 minutes only... Is anyone else having the same issue?

Yep. Just bought one last week and the 1st time I did the sound it was fine. Now it only makes the sound when the lights aren't blinking or on. Kinda a bummer. It is a really cool feature that i would actually play with lol

Yep. Just bought one last week and the 1st time I did the sound it was fine. Now it only makes the sound when the lights aren't blinking or on. Kinda a bummer. It is a really cool feature that i would actually play with lol

Glad its not just me. When showing it to my wife the other day it wouldn't make sound when the lights were blinking and i was getting frustrated because I know it worked before. Love the look of the figure though.

Yeah, I would play with the sound and lights often if everything worked like it should. If I bought a new TV for the same price this figure cost, you can be sure the remote would work every time... sad commentary for HT.

Quick question for those with both the SS Deluxe and this - with the SS New Year Code I could get the SS Deluxe for $133 shipped plus RP's from it.

Given that price - is the HT R2 $100 better? I know in the future we will definitely see a new HT R2, but the question is if it is worth THAT much more. I'll be displaying him with Hoth Leia, who will be paired with Rey/BB8 and Jyn/K2 in subsequent detolf cubes. I also appreciate the hologram Leia on Obi Wan's table accessory as well as the pop out arms and such. I've heard mixed responses - the HT is undoubtedly better with the dome and some paint choices, but lacks so many accessories and opening panels are the only conclusions I've seemed to find.

Weathering isn't THAT big a deal for me as I am more than handy with paint and feel comfortable bringing the SS's closer to HT's around all the panels.

Any suggestions or input is greatly appreciated.

Quick question for those with both the SS Deluxe and this - with the SS New Year Code I could get the SS Deluxe for $133 shipped plus RP's from it.

Given that price - is the HT R2 $100 better? I know in the future we will definitely see a new HT R2, but the question is if it is worth THAT much more. I'll be displaying him with Hoth Leia, who will be paired with Rey/BB8 and Jyn/K2 in subsequent detolf cubes. I also appreciate the hologram Leia on Obi Wan's table accessory as well as the pop out arms and such. I've heard mixed responses - the HT is undoubtedly better with the dome and some paint choices, but lacks so many accessories and opening panels are the only conclusions I've seemed to find.

Weathering isn't THAT big a deal for me as I am more than handy with paint and feel comfortable bringing the SS's closer to HT's around all the panels.

Any suggestions or input is greatly appreciated.
I think HT R2 is waitlisted so you may need to go to a second hand dealer. Either way I like the HT better than the SS. Do what feels right. Good luck!

The biggest and most important question is whether you think the seam on the dome will bother you on the SS R2. Another good question is whether you think you’re going to actually use all those accessories given that you plan to display R2 with Leia. If you can live with the seam then the SS is a much better value and can be a lot of fun if you dig the arms and the drink tray—the periscope and life scanner don’t stay up all that well.

The Hot Toys is more like a statue than an action figure.

That said, after I got the Hot Toys I ended up selling the Sideshow figure since I don’t have space for both and I thought the metal dome looked better with the Tama 3PO. I loved the drink tray but don’t have any Jabba’s Palace figures, and I liked the table/hologram but I have Ben displayed with a death star backdrop and 3PO/R2 displayed with a Tantive backdrop so in the end I wasn’t using it. I figured I could live without the extra frills until HT makes an OT R2.

I think HT R2 is waitlisted so you may need to go to a second hand dealer. Either way I like the HT better than the SS. Do what feels right. Good luck!

Indeed - he is waitlisted unfortunately - I missed the Midtown comics sale for the R2 at $163 as well. I do suspect we will see R2 again when HT finally does 3PO. Thanks for the input!

The biggest and most important question is whether you think the seam on the dome will bother you on the SS R2. Another good question is whether you think you’re going to actually use all those accessories given that you plan to display R2 with Leia. If you can live with the seam then the SS is a much better value and can be a lot of fun if you dig the arms and the drink tray—the periscope and life scanner don’t stay up all that well.

The Hot Toys is more like a statue than an action figure.

That said, after I got the Hot Toys I ended up selling the Sideshow figure since I don’t have space for both and I thought the metal dome looked better with the Tama 3PO. I loved the drink tray but don’t have any Jabba’s Palace figures, and I liked the table/hologram but I have Ben displayed with a death star backdrop and 3PO/R2 displayed with a Tantive backdrop so in the end I wasn’t using it. I figured I could live without the extra frills until HT makes an OT R2.

Good points - since you had the SS - is the seam that obtrusive and noticeable under normal shelf lighting or is it glaringly obvious? I've seen some pics that it seems to be very minimal - but I suppose that could be a variable in manufacturing. I think the accessories are certainly fair game, probably minus the drink tray as that is rather irrelevant for my display tastes, given that ROTJ is probably my least favorite OT film. I think my general concern is that the SS, while obviously plastic, won't hold up to my HT figures and will look very toy-like in comparison. I've had a harder time than I thought finding a good, well lit review of the SS R2 - I think Norm from Tested on Youtube by far has the best looking review, and if he looked like that out of box, I don't think I would mind at all. And I think that even should I want to get a HT R2 one day, I suspect I could at least get $100 back on the SS R2 as well...

Back