HOT TOYS QS 1/4 Darth Vader (pic courtesy Seanxlong)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Compared to Fett, this Vader looks cheap... but it's probably the lighting and - as others pointed out - it's a prototype, so too early to judge for me. I wonder when it will go up for pre-order, I was thinking of selling my Avengers collections and collecting Star Wars 1/4 scale - collected Star Wars in the past, but I'd only really be interested in this larger scale from Hot Toys if I get into it again.

I thought about the same thing but my major concern is not knowing how many Star Wars figures they intend to make in this scale. Two Stormtroopers, Boba Fett and Darth doesn't make for a poor collection by any means, but it's nowhere near as comprehensive as I would like to see.

People just hate the prequels more than actually important things. Like I think people would vote to erase the prequels from existence before getting rid of world hunger or cancer.

you can always pair the 1/4HT with Sideshow PF line... im sure it will blend in just fine ..

I just want this thing go up finally so I can make up my mind what to get !

Here's my stance on the ROTS Vader vs. ESB/ROTJ Vader issue.
I don't mind symmetry. If there's going to be a Vader cameo in Rogue One or another OT era spin-off, I want a symmetrical helmet. An asymmetrical helmet likely wouldn't stand up as well to scrutiny as a symmetrical helmet would. Furthermore, an asymmetrical helmet likely dictates a lesser number of close up, head-on shots, in order to avoid drawing attention towards the asymmetrical structure of the helmet. In the OT, the best shots involving Vader are from an angle or some distance away. What I don't like about the ROTS helmet is how large the helmet/dome appears in relation to the mask and the rest of the body; ROTS Vader always looked as though he had an oversized head to me. In addition, I dislike the flat lenses.

On the subject of how the rest of the suit compares to those seen in the OT, I agree with others in that I believe it should look like a less refined version of the ANH suit. For example, the robes should be placed over the upper chest armor, as in ANH. I do not mind, however, the fact that the chest armor is connected to the shoulder plates, or that the control panel on his chest is embedded into the bodysuit rather than attached via straps, as is the case in the OT. In my eyes, Vader would tinker with the suit over the years, modifying it in order to make it more comfortable and easier to move in. I could very well see him having the shoulder plates and the upper chest armor separated in order to make the movement of his arms easier. On the subject of the chest plate, having it embedded in the suit itself would likely result in Vader having difficulty bending forward, and I could easily imagine Vader changing that in order to make bending forward easier.

I agree. And to add to your post, the robe issue could be as simple as him altering his outfit how we do. Some days we wear a tie, some days we don't, etc.

And also, in the book, "Dark Lord: Ruse of Darth Vader," he describes how to suit is uncomfortable and how he thinks Palptatine made the suit cumbersome and difficult to move in on purpose. I like that the suits are different as Vader would have altered it over the 25ish years until he dies.

In my own head canon, Vader's kinda crummy looking suit in ANH is just that he didn't have access to his nice suit, or he damaged it and needed to fabricate a new one.

Anyways, I like the ROTS suit a lot and will be getting this as my first 1/4 scale figure. :D

Vader has all kinds of close up in ANH that look great. I can't really think of many shots of Vader in the original film where he doesn't look great. I think it depends more on how he's lit over shot angles etc. The majority of the viewing audience, and even most fans, still don't know that Vader's mask and helmet are asymmetrical. The original sculptor of the Vader mask(s) has been hired to work on the masks in Rogue One, so that is pretty exciting. To me anyway.

The ROTS Vader doesn't look horrible, but it does come off more like a very expensive cosplay. Someone who doesn't have the right bodytype playing dress up.

Well for the body type issue, Anakin was 22 when he went into the suit. He was fit and athletic. It's normal that he'd look different 19-20 years later and actually fill out the suit.

I dont care.. I want to see the final product and a PO finally so I can make up my mind .. C'mon HT !!!

after I got the Boba.. I really think this will turn out fantastic !! Can someone please tell HT to &)#$*#*$ the speed up ??

Back