Hot Toys putting Sideshow to shame.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much. They make some dang nice stuff and a lot of it is quite impressive. The same 4 me can be said with Sideshow. I just simply kick back and enjoy what I'm getting from both companies as it makes collecting more fun 4 me at least.

I agree. More choices are always a good thing. So far I've loved every PF I've gotten from SS and every 1/6 I've gotten from HT. I have the LotR 1/6s and although they could be better, I'm still happy with them. :)

Though I have a feeling that if Hot Toys got the SW license they would really go to town with it.

With this MMSDX idea where multiple costuming is included as well as headsculpts I wonder if HT got the SW 1/6 license they'd make them all MMSDX and include one Luke with various costumes and headsculpts to cover all of his appearances and just charge $250 for it.

I can understand when people want a specific line to fall under HT or SSC...but to want SSC to totally become like HT or HT to become like SSC is kinda wishing for trouble.

The collectible world worked well with 1 company producing $130 amazing figs and 1 company producting very good $60 figures.

1 company can focus on small lines
1 can focus on big lines

Again, sucks that both may not do the same license, but I would hate for either one to just be a clone of the other because they are each good for something.

:lecture :lecture :lecture

Though I have a feeling that if Hot Toys got the SW license they would really go to town with it.

But who would pay $150 for Lando or Rebel Fleet Trooper, etc. They'd kill on some figures but would simply be overkill and overpriced on others.

With this MMSDX idea where multiple costuming is included as well as headsculpts I wonder if HT got the SW 1/6 license they'd make them all MMSDX and include one Luke with various costumes and headsculpts to cover all of his appearances and just charge $250 for it.

I really don't get this concept fully. Are base figures that much more expensive to make a package of 3 outfits and only 1 body?

I don't know about others, but loose heads and outfits don't do much for me without a body to put them on.

Essentially the idea is you can either display one way or the other. So with the Joker for example you can either have the Cop Joker or change the costuming to the Mob Scene Joker. They have though included everything to the point where if you get a base TT you can have both. Considering that the average MMS is $150, the MMSDX is $190 range so adding the cost of a TrueType which is about $30-40 you can get an entire other figure for about $80 which is a steal in the HT realm.

But who would pay $150 for Lando or Rebel Fleet Trooper, etc. They'd kill on some figures but would simply be overkill and overpriced on others.

I think production would have been more with Star Wars figures, so I think the price would've prolly been around 120ish for the average figure.

And I would pay that for a well done Lando.

Sideshows looks good anyway.

Wow, another Sideshow bash thread.
I think two threads like this get started each month now.

Look Dave, I think some people on here want the Sites name changed to Hot Toys 4 Life.
Maybe you should do a poll

Look Dave, I think some people on here want the Sites name changed to Hot Toys 4 Life.
Maybe you should do a poll

sadly hot toys would probably win. :lol:lol

Enterbay

Hot Toys

Sideshow

Medicom
--------------------

If HT were to make a Bruce Lee, it would be compared to Enterbay's.
Of course, the argument if HT's Bruce was better was that it was made after Enterbay's, and the years in research and development has paid off.

SSC is probably learning that to keep some of its base clients on board, they have to provide their 1/6 scale figures. But the cost in R&D to make 1/6 scale, mass produce, and cover all operations costs, they would be making profit, but at a potential margin. Yeah, with some licenses and multiple characters, it's a cash cow, but you open yourself to discontent if the buyers don't get their figure made now, or soon...and you have to compete with other manufacturers out there. If you can't beat them,... join them. Which was a good move by SSC to distribute HT's figures. If SSC was allowed to carry the DC license, AND sell HT's renditions? that's be awesome.

For 1/6 figs, there's Enterbay, HT, SSC, Medicom, Takara, etc... how many polystone/premium format companies are out there?
SSC, Cinemaquette,...DC Direct (for its DC line), ... Bowen?

I always prefer SSC to Bowen statues. DC is only for the characters I like, so it's limited. Cinemaquettes, while higher caliber, are also $2k to SSC's $145-$500. This is their income maker, and can focus more on these, limiting the exclusivity and can raise up their prices to cover operation/project costs and make profit.

It's not always a putting to shame thing like "I'm a PC, I'm a Mac", but i'm in it for the money but giving people what they want.

If you don't like the thread of have nothing substantial to add to the rest of us actually having a conversation, then...
b57a8effdc027181fbbebe081b1f8628.jpg

If you don't like the thread of have nothing substantial to add to the rest of us actually having a conversation, then...
b57a8effdc027181fbbebe081b1f8628.jpg

I am joining a conversation. you just don't like what I have said.
I have seen your posts before and they always seem to bash Sideshow.
If you don't like Sideshow then you move along.

It just gets on my Nerves
Yes Hot Toys figures are better than Sideshows, but they are starting to come out the same price as a bloody Premium Format Statue.

I think production would have been more with Star Wars figures, so I think the price would've prolly been around 120ish for the average figure.

And I would pay that for a well done Lando.

Sideshows looks good anyway.

Exactly, why overpay for a figure that SSC already can make good (and really the great SSC Lando should be closer to $60, IMO). $120 for a lando that is marginally better than one SSC is producing at $80 which is marginally better than what they should be doing at $60 leaves me confused.

Hot Toys would make more then 5 Star Wars figures for sure, hell its the line they want to do the most overall but, i think Sideshow would pump out some excellent 1/6th if they started molding their sculpts in colour like Hot Toys(clone Obi for example) and then better QC with the pro and armor bodies and only then SSC will have a great compeditive 1/6th figure to somewhat rival Hot Toys, SSC accessories and outfits are pretty damn good so, i don't see any more real room for improvement there, i think when they do Stormtroopers or Clones or even the Fett's or Vader, rather then sculpting them they should just digitally scan the likeness and create a mold from there..then i could see some really nice things coming from SSC.

WINNER: longest single sentence ever!

Yes Hot Toys figures are better than Sideshows, but they are starting to come out the same price as a bloody Premium Format Statue.

I love Sideshow. I would work there if given the chance. (I even was pitching my freelance stuff to Dusty :lol) Their Premium Formats are so good that DCD and Gentle Giant are trying to copy that formatting. I guarantee you that EnterBay's Bruce Lee 1/4 will bear some resemblance to the strategies used. In reality before SSC I'd never seen anything in 1/4 scale outside of custom jobs. Their LSBs are good, their Comiquettes but in reality they should probably just get out of the 1/6 game. It isn't their strong suit anymore (some argue it never really was) but it was really affordable especially for what we were getting, unfortunately to compete against HT and EB they have to edge closer and closer to their pricepoints and the quality isn't there yet. I say yet because who knows what the future holds but going off what HT is doing in 1/6 now in all their various lines and what SSC is doing in their various lines (How many 1/6 are still around actually....) its really no contest.

Does that mean I'm out to bash SSC? Absolutely not but it does mean I have to be honest when asked.

Its no contest IF SSC tries to compete. But who said they had to compete with HT?

If SSC stayed in their niche of making REASONABLY priced stuff, no one comparing them to HT would have a leg to stand on and SSC could maintain their market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back