Hot Toys putting Sideshow to shame.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that is where the frustration kicks in. You and TheJosh are right, of course, in that there is a noticeable price difference, but when something like Snake Eyes only costs $30 or so less than what you could pay for something of Hot Toys quality, then the extra cost really doesn't seem so great, and then people like agent5 (and myself) have to debate if Sideshow is really worth the price anymore.

This is actually one component of an psychological theory called "prospect theory." Once you have already seriously considered paying a certain, high amount for something, it is pretty easy to justify paying more (even if it is a fair amount higher) for something similar but nicer, than if you hadn't already considered buying the cheaper thing.

Wal-Mart is very effective at exploiting this phenomenon, if you see their dirt cheap TVs being displayed right near the better quality, but more expensive ones, and even better quality, even more expensive ones right next to that. When people see this, they often get the more expensive one, even if they went to the store seeing the ad for the dirt cheap one from the no-name brand.

I totally understand the point as I just bought a new computer and thought I'd be paying $600 for a simple machine and ended up paying $1000 (and if my wife didn't say "enough", probably spend another $300).

But its good that there is at least that middle of the road option.

I agree that SSC had crept into the HT philosophy, it might be too late to turn back. I'll be off the joy ride if they make it all the way to those prices.

I don't think HT puts SS to shame. SS aims to hit a totally different price point. They are two totally difference species. While HT is more of a gorilla, Sideshow is a chimpanzee.

Until the Chimpanzee gets to Gorilla Pricing which might happen within the next couple of years because HT has been able to keep their pricepoints marginally the same while SSC has had to raise their prices for various reasons.

The bottom line is that both companies have a seemingly good working relationship so you'll see a lot of collaborative projects in the future and who knows maybe we'll see SSC product sculpted by Yulli or HT product sculpted by Trevor. Either way I still say that the two companies will merge down the line. :lol

The idea of a merger between the two seems more and more likely. With the sharing of licenses and co-developing bodies it seems more like this will happen.

I don't think Sideshow has any interest in producing 1/6 figures at the HT/Enterbay level. They're bit players in the 1/6 world now and they know it. If it weren't for Star Wars they wouldn't be a player at all. I think they're focused on what they do really well which is large scale statues and busts. That's their bread and butter.

While I do agree completely that much of Sideshows clothing app's are very good...

You got Belloq, right? Not their best example.

I'm a long supoorter of SS, I have tons of their figures and have been very pleased that they've taken on so many licenses that I've wanted. But now that prices have gone up, but not quality, it's getting more frustrating.

SS prices for me are comparable to HT prices because I have to pay for repaints on so many SS figures.

With the release of the new Joker from Hot Toys, which is by far the pinnacle of 12" figures IMO, it seems Hot Toys is on a mission to show Sideshow just how to do a 12" figure the right way. With every new wave of figures from Hot Toys including the Dark Knight, Predator, Planet of the Apes and Iron Man, they continue to upstage Sideshow in almost every way possible. The figures are so incredibly life-like with amazing paint and basic application of features. This leads me to ask, what is Sideshow waiting for? Why are they letting Hot Toys pass them by in a trail of dust like a fart in the wind?

My hobby consists of collecting any and all things related to Raiders of the Lost Ark and it pains me to see so many incredible figures being put out by Hot Toys because I need to stay focused on my true hobby even though I desparately want most of what Hot Toys is putting out nowadays. I can't stray or I will continue to stray further. Still, somewhere in the back of my head, I'm wishing...no, wait, praying that Sideshow will dump the Indy license and hand it over to a company who will put all of their effort, heart and soul into an amazing line of Raiders figures and continue it into all 3 other Indy films. Sideshow just can't keep up with the level of quality presented by Hot Toys yet their prices continue to rise.

What is the cause of all this? Is Sideshow short on hiring solid talent across the board? Is it a lack of care from upper management? Do they just accept decent sculpts and ideas over sending it back to the drawing board to get better, dare I say...perfect? Don't get me wrong, Sideshow has come out with some amazing stuff but overall they don't hold a candle to where Hot Toys is at right now and they don't seem to concerned about it. Even Sideshows incredible stuff (Indy PF) still had problems out of the box and issues that needed addressing but in my mind those issues should have been addressed long before these items went into production. Most of what they put out is just short of wonderful and needs attention right out of the box.

I remember years ago when I first saw Sideshows stuff in person I was completely blown away by them. Now, in such a short period of time they've been left in the dust by a company that really seems to take this seriously. So, where did they go wrong and what can they do to improve? Do they care enough to improve? Do you think that every new announcement from Hot Toys will push Sideshow to strive to do better or are they just happy where they're at, being middle-class citizens instead of the top spot they once held?

What say you?

No one will ever be able to put Sideshow to shame, They are "The Gods" of the collecting world!:D

Yea I think I only have Hot Toys 1/6 figures in my Detolf. Hot Toys Rules! And they can only get better at what they do.

I don't think Sideshow has any interest in producing 1/6 figures at the HT/Enterbay level. They're bit players in the 1/6 world now and they know it. If it weren't for Star Wars they wouldn't be a player at all. I think they're focused on what they do really well which is large scale statues and busts. That's their bread and butter.

:lecture :lecture :lecture

Why do some people feel the need to post this useless trolling threads?
Until I see HT doing SW, Indy, LOTR or GI JOE, there's really no point for this discussion...
I love HT's stuff, and the SS figures I have are awesome, so are the Medi's I have...
I don't care about brands or labels...
I'm just happy all this stuff is available for us to buy...
Sure, each company has room for improvement, and HT's figures are amazing, but the only shame I see here, is this thread...

I can't say this with certainty, but don't you think by quantity that SSC probably produces more figures than HT?

Basically, I think you're saying that Toyota isn't a player in the automobile market because they don't make uberexpensive vehicles. Or that Coors is a bit player because they sell cheap beer.

Even if they aren't the fanciest figures anymore, SSC cranks out a ^^^^load of them. HT releases are relatively few and far between and I doubt they produce them in quantities like SSC.

I'll wager that SSC's net sales on 1/6 figures far outweigh HT.

You know, Hot Toys receives a lot of praise. But there is always room for improvement. Hot Toys still only releases a few characters for each line. Their likenesses aren't always as good as they could be (Bruce Wayne sculpt). They still have scale issues (TDK Batman). Hot Toys takes at least as long as Sideshow to release announced product (especially with their multiple waves). And their tailoring isn't always what it is cracked up to be. Take their DX Joker for example. People are swooning over the texture of the purple coat and socks while everything else is in the wardrobe is basically the same as the V1. Even the coat appears to be cut the same way. For a DX re-release, you would think they would upgrade all the issues with the first release. I also don't like how they are bundling this 'DX edition' with the cop joker. Reminds me of something Sideshow recently did with the Indy line. :rolleyes:

Oh I don't know. Talking with them they want to make the best 1/6th they can and I think that they are trying to do that. I don't really consider Enterbay a major player. I mean they've done what a few Bruce Lee's and what else?

But now that prices have gone up, but not quality, it's getting more frustrating.

SS prices for me are comparable to HT prices because I have to pay for repaints on so many SS figures.

I'd totally disagree. I think the quality matches the price they're charging. At least from what I feel when I get them. You don't HAVE to repaint them though you choose to have them repainted.

You know, Hot Toys receives a lot of praise. But there is always room for improvement. Hot Toys still only releases a few characters for each line. Their likenesses aren't always as good as they could be (Bruce Wayne sculpt). They still have scale issues (TDK Batman). Hot Toys takes at least as long as Sideshow to release announced product (especially with their multiple waves). And their tailoring isn't always what it is cracked up to be. Take their DX Joker for example. People are swooning over the texture of the purple coat and socks while everything else is in the wardrobe is basically the same as the V1. Even the coat appears to be cut the same way. For a DX re-release, you would think they would upgrade all the issues with the first release. I also don't like how they are bundling this 'DX edition' with the cop joker. Reminds me of something Sideshow recently did with the Indy line. :rolleyes:

the only thing that I don't think is great about this figure is how they used the BR Joker head instead of another new head. I know the BR Joker head is great but I think using the same head is kinda weak.

I'd totally disagree. I think the quality matches the price they're charging. At least from what I feel when I get them. You don't HAVE to repaint them though you choose to have them repainted.

Well I know that, I'm just saying for my own out-of-pocket expenses, much of the time I end up paying HT prices for my SS stuff anyway, but with HT I don't have that headache... so their higher price saves me time and shipping for repaints.

All that said, I DON'T like this new HT business model where they constantly upgrade a figure -- Joker to be specific. At least with SS, whether you like the figure or not, you know that's going to be their one and only version of that figure.

Well I know that, I'm just saying for my own out-of-pocket expenses, much of the time I end up paying HT prices for my SS stuff anyway, but with HT I don't have that headache... so their higher price saves me time and shipping for repaints.

If I had kept my POTC figures or wanted to make my Bruce Wayne better I'd have to had or have them repainted. All of them are too dark and its something I wonder about the Tony Stark head. So at that points you're getting more expensive. SS heads I'm usually pretty ok with really as far as the overall look of them.

Bruce Wayne is perfect - I really don't understand the complaints there.

This kind of thread is started all the time - usually with a more politic title - but as said above - they're different animals aiming at different markets. Do we all really want 50-some Star Wars figures at $150-200 each?

But we wouldn't have had that choice, HT would make 5 characters from SW and that would be it.

Maybe I got a bad Bruce Wayne but mine came out more tanned than I think he was in the movie.

Do we all really want 50-some Star Wars figures at $150-200 each? But we wouldn't have had that choice, HT would make 5 characters from SW and that would be it.
Me, personally, I'd rather have 5 incredible Raiders figures and pay more for them than 20 so-so figures at a lesser price. I know many here disagree with that but many of you immediately start customizing them right out of the box and enjoy that aspect of collecting 12" figures. I'm not all about that. I understand many of you enjoy custom painting them and swapping clothing, etc. but I think it should already have the futzing done by the company I paid the figure for to have taken care of all that before it's boxed and shipped.

Hot Toys would make more then 5 Star Wars figures for sure, hell its the line they want to do the most overall but, i think Sideshow would pump out some excellent 1/6th if they started molding their sculpts in colour like Hot Toys(clone Obi for example) and then better QC with the pro and armor bodies and only then SSC will have a great compeditive 1/6th figure to somewhat rival Hot Toys, SSC accessories and outfits are pretty damn good so, i don't see any more real room for improvement there, i think when they do Stormtroopers or Clones or even the Fett's or Vader, rather then sculpting them they should just digitally scan the likeness and create a mold from there..then i could see some really nice things coming from SSC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back