Hot Toys Princess Leia (Bespin Gown)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loving this sculpt. New favorite Leia.

4412229F-E328-4962-8E50-35FBEEE69F92.jpg

I'm sure it's just the pics, but it looks like such a dead expression. I feel like during the scenes in this outfit she had some emotions going in her expressions.

a hint of a smile would have been nice to have.
While she displayed concern and dubious sarcasm, and then later fear and trepidation, the point of the costume change/scene was to give an upbeat respite from dire situation they had just fled- right before the hammer falls again. It's also the point where Han & Leia's true feelings for each other are finally acknowledged without any pretenses.

I like the figure. Happy to have it. But the zombiefied deer-in-the-headlights expression across so many of these figures, especially the female figs, is wearing down my enthusiasm to keep collecting.

After Endor Leia I am officially done with Leia figures. The enthusiasm is still in tact but I want characters like Lando to be revealed and made already.

I don't expect to see Boushh Leia anytime soon but that's the only one left I'd make an exception for.

After Endor Leia I am officially done with Leia figures. The enthusiasm is still in tact but I want characters like Lando to be revealed and made already.

I don't expect to see Boushh Leia anytime soon but that's the only one left I'd make an exception for.

I'm passing on this (unless I see some great deal), but I'd get a slave or Boushh Leia too. That'd probably be it.

Yeah it's hard to get overly excited at the idea of owning three Leia figures with the exact same sculpt and dead-eyed expression. Lol

And chances are probably good that they'll use the same sculpt for Slave Leia as well, if they ever decide to make it.

Yeah it's hard to get overly excited at the idea of owning three Leia figures with the exact same sculpt and dead-eyed expression. Lol

And chances are probably good that they'll use the same sculpt for Slave Leia as well, if they ever decide to make it.

Sounds like it's time they did a Ceremonial Leia with a different expression!
leia2.jpgleia.jpg

Agreed......Hoth and maybe Endor will round out the princess needs of the collection.

It does seem that HT has adopted a "set it and forget it" approach to sculpts - what started as the "new Luke Jedi sculpt" seems to have become the "all Lukes" sculpt with re-releases for DX/Endor and (as yet not PO'ed) Bespin along with the lower-half "cheesy grin" tweak of the same sculpt as the second DX headsculpt.

And yeah - with Leia you wonder if what was originally the "new Hoth Leia sculpt" will become the "all Leias" sculpt, just with tweaks for the hair. It's been used on Hoth, Bespin and Endor and you have to wonder if they do a Bousshh or slave or ceremonial if it'll be the same.

It's unfortunate because for these prices you really want an all-new sculpt instead of the same sculpt with tweaked hair in a different outfit, especially given that (despite their trademark hyper-realistic paint apps and incredible sculpt detail) HT's SW likenesses, and hair color paint apps, have often been middling at best.

On the other hand, who knows if headsculpt reuse decreases the price enough that they do more figs they might not have done otherwise. You have to wonder if they had to do an all-new sculpt for a Leia Bespin whether they would have done it. On that basis, maybe it balances out the problem.

You figure they still have to create a new mold for the head, which is from what I've read is by far the largest cost. They're not paying people $100k to sculpt one head. So I don't quite get them not creating truly new sculpts for each of these releases.

It does seem that HT has adopted a "set it and forget it" approach to sculpts - what started as the "new Luke Jedi sculpt" seems to have become the "all Lukes" sculpt with re-releases for DX/Endor and (as yet not PO'ed) Bespin along with the lower-half "cheesy grin" tweak of the same sculpt as the second DX headsculpt.

And yeah - with Leia you wonder if what was originally the "new Hoth Leia sculpt" will become the "all Leias" sculpt, just with tweaks for the hair. It's been used on Hoth, Bespin and Endor and you have to wonder if they do a Bousshh or slave or ceremonial if it'll be the same.

It's unfortunate because for these prices you really want an all-new sculpt instead of the same sculpt with tweaked hair in a different outfit, especially given that (despite their trademark hyper-realistic paint apps and incredible sculpt detail) HT's SW likenesses, and hair color paint apps, have often been middling at best.

On the other hand, who knows if headsculpt reuse decreases the price enough that they do more figs they might not have done otherwise. You have to wonder if they had to do an all-new sculpt for a Leia Bespin whether they would have done it. On that basis, maybe it balances out the problem.[\b]

That's my thinking. It's tough to say how they add up the numbers internally but it's obviously the case that it saves sculpting $$ and potentially a way to justify multiple outfits of a potentially lower-selling figure. And Leia figures have been pretty affordable versus other human figures ($205 for a couple of them?) though they also came with fewer accessories.

Even custom sculpters like Jnix and Inigo, they're seizing the opportunity to make a number of characters off their initial Ford sculpts. I do think the ANH sculpt is different than the ESB-ROTJ sculpts though.

On the other hand, who knows if headsculpt reuse decreases the price enough that they do more figs they might not have done otherwise. You have to wonder if they had to do an all-new sculpt for a Leia Bespin whether they would have done it. On that basis, maybe it balances out the problem.

Some interesting and valid points there - especially that the Star Wars sculpts are seemingly never quite as good as say the mcu ones- I really want a Luke that is perfect.

I can sort of get them reusing the same sculpt for essentially outfit changes within the same movie, but using them to represent other movies isn't on. Three years passed between each and they all looked different. And as Tali mentioned, some weren't the best likenesses to start with. I think Leia is the only ANH likeness I'm really happy with. The rest could have used more tweaking. If they do a Red 5 Luke they better not reuse the ANH sculpt (or the RotJ one).

Back