Hot Toys POTC Newsletter, history + hint of the future for the line (pics)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah Bill NIGHY eyes were definitely present in Jones.

FromRealToReal.jpg

Well no wonder you think the sculpt is off :nana:

BillNye.gif
:lol
:lol fixed my post.

I do disagree though. I feel they got extremely close to Nighy's :)wink1:) eyes. I have ton's of Davy sculpts from other Davy figurines and what not, and they all fell flat in almost every way. HT is the only company to even come close.

However I'm not completely opposed to improvement...as there is room for it.

I agree that HT has come the closest just as they came the closest with their Jack, but just like Jack didn't look enough like Depp, for me, Jones didn't look enough well like Jones, especially with the eyes. I too have had my fair share of Jones figures (12" and 3 3/4" Zizzle, 12" NECA, disney 6" figure), but there's still something missing in HT version for me. You know it's Jones by the overall look, but when you get up close to it the face doesn't scream "that's Bill Nighy as Jones" for me

this was just bland too me. not enough emotion for me
review_ht12jones_large.jpg

Davy-Jones.jpg

davy_jones.jpg

DavyFace.JPG

Indeed they were. Bill, Bled through that CGI perfectly.

Of course credit goes to the CGIers as well.

I agree that HT has come the closest just as they came the closest with their Jack, but just like Jack didn't look enough like Depp, for me, Jones didn't look enough well like Jones, especially with the eyes. I too have had my fair share of Jones figures (12" and 3 3/4" Zizzle, 12" NECA, disney 6" figure), but there's still something missing in HT version for me. You know it's Jones by the overall look, but when you get up close to it the face doesn't scream "that's Bill Nighy as Jones" for me
this was just bland too me. not enough emotion for me
I agree on the expression. However I've never seen a photo of the figure that captures what it looks like in hand. Which is a given a lot of times.

oh yea definitely. most photo's no matter how good the camera and photographer are will never capture the full essence of what the figure is like in hand.

I've had this figure before and have long sold it for my given reasons. Plus I couldn't get Jack for an affordable price either :lol

I'm not trying to knock the figure at all though as I feel it is a great one. just giving my bit of a critique to it.

oh yea definitely. most photo's no matter how good the camera and photographer are will never capture the full essence of what the figure is like in hand.

I've had this figure before and have long sold it for my given reasons. Plus I couldn't get Jack for an affordable price either :lol

I'm not trying to knock the figure at all though as I feel it is a great one. just giving my bit of a critique to it.

No worries :peace It's all civil here. Your points are all valid anyways. :duff

Just watched DMC last night for the first time, and can safely say, Davy Jones was a giant dissapointment. Looked great, sounded very non menacing and didn't really do anything cool. So glad I didn't buy the Hot Toys Davy a few weeks back. Made me like Barbossa that much more.

Just watched DMC last night for the first time, and can safely say, Davy Jones was a giant dissapointment. Looked great, sounded very non menacing and didn't really do anything cool. So glad I didn't buy the Hot Toys Davy a few weeks back. Made me like Barbossa that much more.

Barbossa was/is an infinitely cooler character than DJ :lecture I'm really hoping we see a figure of him. With everything POTC HT has released thus far, it has to be a likeness issue that has kept Barbossa out of the mix, dontcha think?

Im sure we will get:

COTBP
-Jack Sparrow
-Barbossa
-Elizabeth (maybe)

DMC
-Updated Cannibal Jack (maybe)
-Tia Dalma (maybe)

OST
-Black Beard
-Angelica

And thats about it.

Possibly!:lecture I would love to get a improved version of Cannibal Jack.:yess: (but I doubt..)

Last edited:

He's the totally opposite for me. I think he makes a much better villain than Barbossa. And a much cooler character all around.

I'm with Rzeznikk here, loved Davy Jones! :clap:yess:

Exactly. His character had a presence. A cold, yet regal presence.

Barbossa felt like a cunning bastard, and Jones felt like an evil overlord. Even though he didn't do much fighting and such by his own, you felt like the guy was so badass he had all the power in the world to do so anyways.
Also the whole origin story brought even more depth to the character, and toned it down, giving him a more 'tragic villain' vibe.

And the way he spoke. Toutally awesome-ah!:rock

Back