Hot Toys POTC Newsletter, history + hint of the future for the line (pics)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ray it was basically a what are you most excited about but in all honestly doesn't that seem pretty dumb? Sounds like a load to me. Like Captain Harlock or whatever has a chance against Superman or Batman? :lol And they aren't showing us the results so who knows if its even real. Either its a load or they really need some native english speakers over at hot toys to clue them in on what sells here in the U.S.

Agreed they missed the Avatar wave bigtime, probably cost themselves 30-50% of their overall sales or more from the hype dying down. Indy is a massive fail as is Arnie Kim, and every single release has plagued their facebook page with about 20 nice job and 2000 wheres superman comments. And now they ask if were excited about Superman or Captain Harlock? In my best Billy Bob Thorton voice I can only ask "What the ____?"

They are killing themselves with this Sweeney Todd ____, instead of capitalizing on markets that are hot and limited in their time of influence. (Suckers Punch)

:goodpost:

Well said. They just released the Ghost Rider figure how many years after the movie has been out? Much nicer figure than the Medicom one. I just don't get most of the releases they have don thus far and plan to release, their releases seem influenced by the Asian collectors market even though a huge amount of sales are in the US and Europe. With the Indiana Jones/ Arnie Kim head sculpt, I think they just made a contract with him to do the Indy and Supes that they got stuck with and maybe now they are trying to figure out how to get someone else to sculpt Superman? I assume they negotiated with Arnie a great contract to steal him from Enterbay as a major blow in their continued battle against each other but they really lost major sales with Indy using Arnie.

Captain Harlock, WTF (and I even know the character and watched the show!), great, you'll sell 320 of these figures in Japan and Hong Kong Hot Toys! Yet another figure released previously by Sideshow or Medicom that Hot Toys is just making their version of.

Please make Barbossa Hot Toys, and you better include the monkey! Amazing you guys haven't after 8 Pirates figures done the 2nd most popular Pirate, the villain of the POTC trilogy. WOW.

Last edited:
Please make Barbossa, and you better include the monkey! Amazing you guys haven't after 8 Pirates figures done the 2nd most popular figure, basically the villain of the POTC trilogy. WOW.

Yeah Jack the monkey is a must............the thought of him on a shelf with the monkey on his shoulder and him holding his apple would just be epic.

... Either its a load or they really need some native english speakers over at hot toys to clue them in on what sells here in the U.S...

Why would they care? After all their main market is the Asian market.

Give me a Barbossa with an interchangable classic pirate garb and regular leg switchout for the pegleg and I'll be happy.

Why would they care? After all their main market is the Asian market.

I have to think that given how big they've become, that may not be true anymore. They have a ton of US distributors and I'm not covinced they sell more in Asia then the rest of the world combined.

I'd really love to see:
Barbossa (Pirate)
Blackbeard
Captain Teague
New Davy Jones (with accurate face this time, maybe even poseable beard)
Cursed Jack/Barbossa/Pirates, etc

I'm sure we'll get a Jack variant or two in there before any of those though :lol

I doubt we will get another Davy Jones, aside from the scale issue, they really nailed him out of the park. Not much more they can do to up what they have already done with him imo. Bendy/movable tentacles maybe, but does that warrant a whole new figure? No.

I honestly think that they're prototype Jones looked better than the final one. I really didn't like the gloss all over. He did have a bit of shine to him in the film but the gloss on the figure just seemed too much. I also feel the skin color was too yellow. Maybe they can find a way to not make everything rubber or whatever it was that the figure was predominantly made of. Maybe integrate a few more cloth pieces, He could also come with Norrington's sword which he used after Norrington died. I'm sure a new Jones will sell out just as much as any other figure from this line

I'd really love to see:
Barbossa (Pirate)
Blackbeard
Captain Teague
New Davy Jones (with accurate face this time, maybe even poseable beard)
Cursed Jack/Barbossa/Pirates, etc

I'm sure we'll get a Jack variant or two in there before any of those though :lol

What's wrong with Davy's face? I thought they did a great job on him. In fact I think it's the best Davy sculpt out there.

I honestly think that they're prototype Jones looked better than the final one. I really didn't like the gloss all over. He did have a bit of shine to him in the film but the gloss on the figure just seemed too much. I also feel the skin color was too yellow. Maybe they can find a way to not make everything rubber or whatever it was that the figure was predominantly made of. Maybe integrate a few more cloth pieces, He could also come with Norrington's sword which he used after Norrington died. I'm sure a new Jones will sell out just as much as any other figure from this line

The gloss look I think was just their attempt at making him look "wet" which, imo, worked very well. But I agree if they did make a new Davy Jones, he would sell just as well as the first, considering the asking price the first release is fetching for now.

What's wrong with Davy's face? I thought they did a great job on him. In fact I think it's the best Davy sculpt out there.

I think it's a great sculpt, but for me where HT missed the mark on Jones was the eyes and brow area. to me that was such a critical part of Jones' character. Bill Nighy uses his eyes very well in all of his roles. Besides Jones' the opening to The Deathly Hallows Part1 starts on Nighy's eyes.

I think it's a fantastic figure just as the fist Jack is, but there's always room for improvement. And Jones has been my favorite villain of the POTC series and would really like an updated one with HT new standard of figures

The gloss look I think was just their attempt at making him look "wet" which, imo, worked very well. But I agree if they did make a new Davy Jones, he would sell just as well as the first, considering the asking price the first release is fetching for now.

for me the gloss just looked like when someone seals a painted head with a gloss finish, it loses the realism. I understand the wet look but it didn't work for me. Still a great figure though

Last edited:
Wait, does this mean that even if I skip the DX figure, I would still get a chance to get a Jack Sparrow later in the future that might have a better sculpt than we have here (Non DX of course without the PERS) but with the possibility of a better sculpt? and maybe a very Sparrowy expression? the DILLEMA

Wait, does this mean that even if I skip the DX figure, I would still get a chance to get a Jack Sparrow later in the future that might have a better sculpt than we have here (Non DX of course without the PERS) but with the possibility of a better sculpt? and maybe a very Sparrowy expression? the DILLEMA

Most likely. Id be down for a COTBP Jack.

I think it's a great sculpt, but for me where HT missed the mark on Jones was the eyes and brow area. to me that was such a critical part of Jones' character. Bill Nye uses his eyes very well in all of his roles. Besides Jones' the opening to The Deathly Hallows Part1 starts on Nye's eyes.

Well no wonder you think the sculpt is off :nana:

BillNye.gif
:lol

I do disagree though. I feel they got extremely close to Nighy's :)wink1:) eyes. I have ton's of Davy sculpts from other Davy figurines and what not, and they all fell flat in almost every way. HT is the only company to even come close.

However I'm not completely opposed to improvement...as there is room for it.

Back