Hot Toys POTA Gorilla Soldier review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another great review, Michael. I especially liked the part where you mention John Chambers ape design being that of an evolved ape. Being a rabid Ape fan for decades, I've always tried to point this out to Ape bashers... from the people who think that Kubricks apes were more life-like in 2001 as well as those who found the Apes in the Burton POTA re-imagining to be more real. Looking like a real monkey wasn't the point and certainly wasn't Chamber's aim. Sure Rick Baker did an amazing job with his makeups (despite those disappearing chins), but I'll take Chamber's evolved Ape anyday.

Yep, we're in complete agreement. Trying to make the apes look more like modern apes that just happen to talk is a mistake - Chambers knew what he was doing. Then again, he did work for the CIA!

Another great review, Michael. I especially liked the part where you mention John Chambers ape design being that of an evolved ape. Being a rabid Ape fan for decades, I've always tried to point this out to Ape bashers... from the people who think that Kubricks apes were more life-like in 2001 as well as those who found the Apes in the Burton POTA re-imagining to be more real. Looking like a real monkey wasn't the point and certainly wasn't Chamber's aim. Sure Rick Baker did an amazing job with his makeups (despite those disappearing chins), but I'll take Chamber's evolved Ape anyday.

I agree with that. That's what Pierre Boulle wanted to express even if he made different choices for their look.
Gorillas from Burton's movie look great too, but they are too far from humans (clothes and look) so less "powerful".

He looks pretty nice.

Too bad the three are prolly all HT makes.

I don't know... looking at how prominently Cornelius is featured on the back of the box...

SEPT2009002.jpg

... makes me hopeful that Hot Toys has another ape up their collective sleeve. :monkey5:monkey5:monkey5

Thanks.... but this one is Michael's, I do have my review in the bag as well, I did a treble whammy of all three and I'm taking the pics this weekend.
I think this, 'the classic soldier' is the coolest of the bunch though!

I look forward to your review as well. Until I get these monkeys in my hands reviews and pictures are all that's keeping me going. :monkey5:monkey5:monkey5

thanks for the review,the ape looks great. Better, IMO, than Jeff's review of that barbie doll. :D

Well, what can I say... I like dolls and I love Apes, but what I have for Scarlett is something special... and the voices tell me she feels the same way.:google

it would be a complete shame if cornelius & zira weren't made...........DO IT HT !!!!!!!

Maybe, but I'd sure like to grab a chance at some extra rifles, belts, hands, backpacks, boots, tunics, heads.....:rolleyes:
Not all at once mind you. :monkey3

attachment.php

review_htape_3.jpg

I see what it is now that seems only slightly off, and this doesn't stop it from being an amazing figure.
The Gorilla's brow area needs to stand out more, much further than the hair, which seems to envelop the face a little on the figure.
The height of the hair seems fine.

When the apes were made up for the original film, the human forehead was covered up with hair to simulate a smaller face for the apes.

For those lucky monkeys with enough chimpchange to have ordered their gorillas...check out the knees/elbows of your gorilla outfits from Hot Toys. You will see it's got Forbidden Zone dirt.

What a great looking figure...

Just out of curiosity, what was the color inspiration for the Sideshow Ape? I can only recall this more purple outfit now being in the movies.

Just out of curiosity, what was the color inspiration for the Sideshow Ape? I can only recall this more purple outfit now being in the movies.

I think that the good people at Sideshow were being conservative when they made their color choices for their Sideshow gorilla... considering how certain color requests can get lost in translation at the ol' production plant.

Sideshow might request "puce", "plum" or "light eggplant" but get this instead:

urkocardart.jpg

I found a tear on my Captain's gorilla vest--this was an oversight in quality control. I am going to contact Hot Toys after I photograph it to show them.

Back