Hot Toys POTA Gorilla Soldier review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got this from AE today and it ROCKS! HT did a fantastic job not only with the "real" hair but all the little details. The mancatcher especially impressed me.

For 112 bucks this is a steal compared with other figures in it's price range. I can't wait to get the rest of the Apes now. I sure hope HT continues with this line for a while.

Welcome to the jungle Coco!
I hope they keep this line going for a long time. Hell, just spread them out at a couple a year. That way the cost doesn't kill the customer but the line survives. After all they put all the time into figuring out how to make them the MOST screen accurate versions ever made. Why let that fall to the wayside?

I just got the Hot Toys Gorilla.
From a lot of the previous pics I've seen I wasn't as impressed with how he looked compared to Ursus, but an opportunity came up for me to snag him for $75 so I decided to go ahead.

4243284294_9417022bac.jpg

My initial main problem with him was the bushy hair, but after futzing with it and tucking it into the vest I liked it a lot better. I still wish he had a bigger brow ridge and a smaller forehead but he looks pretty good.

I love the color and material of the vest and gauntlets. The raised ribbing on the pleather was sorely missed on the Sideshow gorilla uniform.
I find that the velcro that holds the vest closed on mine will come open with a little posing. Annoying but not too bad.
Boots have great detail and are nice and shiney.
Initially from photos I thought the purple-ish shirt and pants were too bright, but in person they're fine.

Backpack, club and man catcher are fantastic.
I'm not as crazy about the rifle and bandolier.
I cannot for the life of me see the bandolier as being that color green when I look at photos or one of the movies/tv shows. And it's almost too detailed. the pouches are a little too thick, mainly I assume to make them able to open up. Since as far as I know, we've never seen a gorilla ever open up one of those pouches, I don't think it's necessary to make it functional on the toy.

Similarly, I don't like the removable ammo clip on the rifle. It sticks out too far, slips out too easily (as Michael Crawford's review pointed out) and again, as far as I know, we've never seen a gorilla have to reload before.
I like the color of the rifle, but the wood grain is too extreme and the over all shape of the gun looks a little off to me.

I took a pic of my HT Gorilla with the Sideshow rifle (which stays in his hands much better than the HT gun) and a custom brown bandolier I made (using the sculpted pouches from Sideshow):
4242543711_ae511fc7bb.jpg

I have some more pix here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/33233581@N05/sets/72157622973944747/

-Ray

Oh, I forgot to add that I think the vest is cut a little too narrow. Makes the figure look just a little too skinny (and makes the head look just a little too big). I like the fuller cut of the Sideshow vest.

But, again, even with all those nits, I still really like this guy.

-Ray

I like your bandolier so much better, Ray. If that hair could be less poufy maybe the head wouldn't be so big on the body...but I agree with all the points you pointed out. I still don't like those damned hillbilly teeth and really take away the menace the gorilla should convey.

I'd love to find one of these for $75... I've been watching for deals, but haven't found the right one yet.

I'd love to find one of these for $75... I've been watching for deals, but haven't found the right one yet.

I got mine from Amok Time toys. It was the last one in the store and it was the regular price of $125, but I had a $50 gift card that someone had given me, so I lucked out.

-Ray

Did you guys notice that the price of Sideshow gorillas significantly dropped after the release of these Hot Toy gorillas?

How could they not... when a clearly superior product is released the original never fairs well.

My CRM Jack Torrance lost about 50% of its value once the Subway version was announced.

Back