Hot Toys Moon Knight

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
333CB6BE-A076-479C-B222-7EF6DDBDC597.gif

The only interesting design element of this suit is all the mummy style wraps so to not use a single piece of fabric for any of those is a huge let down.
Its all sculpted well and looks rather good but it’s just lazy and unimpressive when it could have been so much more.

In the realm of expensive toys made to appear as realistic, miniature representations of on-screen characters, this only manages to look like an expensive toy.

The only interesting design element of this suit is all the mummy style wraps so to not use a single piece of fabric for any of those is a huge let down.

In the realm of expensive toys made to appear as realistic, miniature representations of on-screen characters, this only manages to look like an expensive toy.

Two very good points.

$300 does not seem right for a mostly molded plastic figure. Where exactly is the effort I'm paying for?

Gotta say I think the Marvel Legends figure actually looks a bit better, given it doesn't have that weird mix of plastic and fabric elements, and because the bandage color is more consistent and a brighter white like in the show.

Of course granted it's just a CG render right now.

01_hasbro_legends_mk.jpg

Gotta say I think the Marvel Legends figure actually looks a bit better, given it doesn't have that weird mix of plastic and fabric elements, and because the bandage color is more consistent and a brighter white like in the show.

Of course granted it's just a CG render right now.

View attachment 569830
It is all CG, so that helps, but I quickly noticed inaccuracies. The face lacks the band that goes over the nose, for instance. And I’m skeptical they can reproduce the torn cloth in plastic form.

It should still be a good $25 figure though.

I think you’re absolutely right on all of the reasons that particular photo makes it look like a cheap toy, most notably for me the way the light pops against the plastic hood which cloth would not do.

Looks miles better in this photo:

View attachment 569818
Definitely looks better in this pic, I'll wait until later to decide whether I'll PO or not.

If you told me this was FigurArts, I'd believe you.

It's pretty well sculpted, I suppose, but the glossy shine ruins the entire look and makes it look more toy than hot. His suit should be completely matte.

Guess I'll wait to see if they do Mr. Knight instead.

04_hot_toys_16_scale_mk_2.jpg

I don't see the big deal. I've got the Endgame Captain America and it's 'soft goods' but that outfit is still essentially plastic, the pants look kind of the same here. There's barely any give/flex to that outfit. I wouldn't call it soft goods any more than this.

I kind of understand Hot Toys not wanting to spend 4 man hours per figure wrapping the body as in real life and then having it unravel on people. Anyone saying this is like a Marvel Legends is just being outlandish. They made a couple of 12" legends a few years ago and they're just as crappy as you'd think.

I don't see the big deal. I've got the Endgame Captain America and it's 'soft goods' but that outfit is still essentially plastic, the pants look kind of the same here. There's barely any give/flex to that outfit. I wouldn't call it soft goods any more than this.

I kind of understand Hot Toys not wanting to spend 4 man hours per figure wrapping the body as in real life and then having it unravel on people. Anyone saying this is like a Marvel Legends is just being outlandish. They made a couple of 12" legends a few years ago and they're just as crappy as you'd think.
I should have put a smiley face on the end I was joking.

Kind of.

I mean it’s obviously an exaggeration..?

It doesn’t look like a Hasbro figure but it doesn’t look like a Hot Toy either.

Nobody is literally saying it's identical to a cheap, small scale figure. Obviously the sculpt is much better and the joints are well hidden and etc etc. But the glossy, molded plastic is heavily associated with those smaller scales and it feels cheap as a result. The material of the hood doesn't look appreciably different than the material on this Legend Goblin hood, for example.

gloss.jpg

But the on-screen suit is completely flat matte, because it's all layers of linen cloth. It should have no shine to it at all. The figure doesn't need to made of the exact material, but it should at least look like it is.

MK.jpg

Nobody is literally saying it's identical to a cheap, small scale figure. Obviously the sculpt is much better and the joints are well hidden and etc etc. But the glossy, molded plastic is heavily associated with those smaller scales and it feels cheap as a result. The material of the hood doesn't look appreciably different than the material on this Legend Goblin hood, for example.

View attachment 569841

But the on-screen suit is completely flat matte, because it's all layers of linen cloth. It should have no shine to it at all. The figure doesn't need to made of the exact material, but it should at least look like it is.

View attachment 569844
Pretty much this.

I’m sure they have their reasons for going the route they did but imo it just doesn’t work. If you can’t do it right then don’t do it at all :dunno

View attachment 569841

View attachment 569844

Pretty much this.

I’m sure they have their reasons for going the route they did but imo it just doesn’t work. If you can’t do it right then don’t do it at all :dunno
Thankfully, that's something they can EASILY fix with a simple matte coat.

I build enough model-kits to know that a quick top coat can turn a shiny plastic toy into a believable figure in a snap.

Pretty much this.

True in principle but they may not have a choice and be contractually obligated to do it.

“There is an agreement that the portrayal of Alfred Molina as the Marvel character Doctor Otto Octavius in the Disney/Marvel/Sony coproduction of Spider-Man: No Way Home must have the appearance of being goof like“

Back