1/6 Hot Toys - MMS494 - Solo: A Star Wars Story Patrol Trooper

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys Solo: A Star Wars Story Patrol Trooper

If we're talking OT, Imperial uniforms are more WWII German influenced. Still, getting inspiration from WWI for Solo costumes is a smart move as it helps convey a sense of evolution in between both periods as they are about a decade apart.

No, the OT Imperials were derived directly from WWI German officer uniforms (the key difference of WWI being no pockets vs WWII, plus the cut is more like a sleek, form-fitting formal dress jacket.) They actually intended to use real WWI uniforms that Bermans Costumes had for the Imperial officers by removing all buttons and covering the holes, but Bermans wouldn't let them partially destroy their costumes, so Mollo made copies of the WWI officer uniforms, with minor mods and minus the lines of buttons (interestingly, this was apparently the costume that originated GL's "no buttons or zippers" order for all OT costumes - a very interesting design choice.)

So this look for Solo is very much in line with the origins of the OT Imperials, even the mud planet feels very WWI.

These are the actual costumes Mollo almost used for ANH Imperials (from the 1966 film Blue Max) which they literally copeid most of the pattern of:

jeremy-kemp-the-blue-max-1966-directed-by-john-guillermin-twentieth-F4PN5R.jpg

And their caps were derived from WWII Imperial Japan.

Lucas had probably just watched Tora! Tora! Tora! and Midway​ as part of his research on aerial attacks.

Meh..would rather see a ESB Han instead of this figure :lecture

I like him, apart from the hand me down Sequel Trilogy rubber sleeves.

No reason, though, why that couldn't be replaced with a black fabric top. Which would mean you could pose him without the crinkly sleeves cracking.

What are the odds the other mudtrooper doesn’t see release ala tank and shore trooper reg.?

What are the odds the other mudtrooper doesn’t see release ala tank and shore trooper reg.?

50/50. HT might feel the Han Mudtrooper doubles as a normal Mudtrooper and Han in Mudtrooper gear, and not release a separate one (especially if preorders are slow). I could see them releasing the Mimban stormy before another Mudtrooper.

A little better because they know troopers with limited production runs sell well from their experiences with the Rogue One line.

I think the Mimban Stormtrooper is safe. Mudtrooper, I really hope so. Though they really could’ve included the accessories for the full Mudtrooper with Han. Or at least made it a regular/deluxe dual release. Range Trooper feels like a possibility.

No, the OT Imperials were derived directly from WWI German officer uniforms (the key difference of WWI being no pockets vs WWII, plus the cut is more like a sleek, form-fitting formal dress jacket.) They actually intended to use real WWI uniforms that Bermans Costumes had for the Imperial officers by removing all buttons and covering the holes, but Bermans wouldn't let them partially destroy their costumes, so Mollo made copies of the WWI officer uniforms, with minor mods and minus the lines of buttons (interestingly, this was apparently the costume that originated GL's "no buttons or zippers" order for all OT costumes - a very interesting design choice.)

So this look for Solo is very much in line with the origins of the OT Imperials, even the mud planet feels very WWI.

These are the actual costumes Mollo almost used for ANH Imperials (from the 1966 film Blue Max) which they literally copeid most of the pattern of:

jeremy-kemp-the-blue-max-1966-directed-by-john-guillermin-twentieth-F4PN5R.jpg

Interesting. Always knew visually linking the Empire to the nazis and axis forces was intentional. Never thought Lucas and crew had gone as far as taking inspiration from different eras.

Nazi's and axis are from World War @!!! The tunic the Imperial uniform is modeled after is known as an Uhlanka;a cavalry off ice's tunic, best known as the uniform of Manfred von Richthofen. Because of this, every pilot is shown wearing it in films. In fact, the German Air Force had no formal uniform until 1918; pilots wore the uniform of whichever service they transferred in from, with air force insignia(Richthofen was a cavalry lieutenant before he became a flyer)...
That being said(and mostly ignored, I'm sure), I have pre-ordered the Patrol Trooper; too cool to ignore...PS

I haven't even seen the movie yet (might finally today) but think this is a pretty cool Trooper design. Not sure if I'll bite at $220 but yet I could also see it selling out and regretting not getting it like I did with the Shoretrooper.

A little better because they know troopers with limited production runs sell well from their experiences with the Rogue One line.

I think the Mimban Stormtrooper is safe. Mudtrooper, I really hope so. Though they really could’ve included the accessories for the full Mudtrooper with Han. Or at least made it a regular/deluxe dual release. Range Trooper feels like a possibility.

If they don’t make Mimban, which seems to be the consensus one we’d all buy, that’s just head scratchingly dumb. Totally would’ve been on board with a deluxe and regular to make both Mudtroopers. Missed double dip.

Yep. RO Trooper with the forehead attachment (sensor array), cape, rifle, and mud. Should be easy to knock out. They should re-release a clean RO TK while they’re at it for folks that missed out on the original RO release.

And the Shoretrooper for the folks that missed that too.
I kick myself for not buying one of those. I didn’t expect it to sell out and aftermarket prices are ridiculous on it. That’s why I’m unsure if I want to wait on this one as I like the design and could see it being produced in low numbers.

Back