Hot Toys - MMS489 D25 - Iron Man Mark XLVI (10th Anniversary Concept Art Version)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aside from the Mk. 42, 46 & 47 Power Pose, Mk. III GMG, and the plastic Shanghai “exclusives”, I own every other “wide released” IM figures; this is the first one that came defective from the factory. Mine seems like there is a loose wire inside the torso as the lights powered by the 3 AG9’s flickered (tested other batteries) which is a bummer but I’m sure SS will replace it.

My main point is that out of all the dozens of HT IM figures I’ve bought, only 1 has had a “major” defect. Great track record and cool figure that I am still really surprised that is actually in stock and shipping right now. People are sleeping on this almost as badly as the Mk. 47. I’m really interested to see if demand spikes once the stock is sold out.

Well, it is the third iteration of this particular mold. Those of us who already own the Mark XLVI and Mark XLVII armors know how good this is, but it’s also a relatively quick redo of armors from 1-2 years ago. The high price tag with little in the way of extras is also a bit of a turn off. My guess is we’ll be seeing these edge close to the $400 range and over that more often, which is almost the price of a 1/4 scale figure.

It’s cool to have the classic Iron Man red and gold coloration in this suit, but some of the hesitation to jump on this right away might center around what I mentioned. I’ve actually wanted this since it was announced, but there are a lot of releases coming out along with Iron Man. This release is like an extra. It’s nice, but it probably just gets less priority over newer releases for some collectors.

Well, it is the third iteration of this particular mold. Those of us who already own the Mark XLVI and Mark XLVII armors know how good this is, but it’s also a relatively quick redo of armors from 1-2 years ago. The high price tag with little in the way of extras is also a bit of a turn off. My guess is we’ll be seeing these edge close to the $400 range and over that more often, which is almost the price of a 1/4 scale figure.

It’s cool to have the classic Iron Man red and gold coloration in this suit, but some of the hesitation to jump on this right away might center around what I mentioned. I’ve actually wanted this since it was announced, but there are a lot of releases coming out along with Iron Man. This release is like an extra. It’s nice, but it probably just gets less priority over newer releases for some collectors.

Yeah I agree. I preordered it the other day on a whim after seeing so many awesome pics. I might cancel it and try to cop the early Diecast armors. Already own the VI and The VII is on PO. Could still pick up the II and IV easily. It’s the damn V that I can’t get for a decent price.

I think you're right, the lack of extras are a big minus and if you have the 46 or 47 it's a hard sell - feels almost like a cash-in.

Also once a company re-releases anything it creates uncertainty and lowers the interest amongst collectors.

It’s the damn V that I can’t get for a decent price.

Although it's a flawed release, it not hard to see the DC V holding it's value because it's so unique, having all the play functionality of the moving panels.

It's also not hard to imagine HT re-releasing it (and others) after they do the DC Mark 1. The re-released Hall of Armours are the perfect excuse.

Although it's a flawed release, it not hard to see the DC V holding it's value because it's so unique, having all the play functionality of the moving panels.

It's also not hard to imagine HT re-releasing it (and others) after they do the DC Mark 1. The re-released Hall of Armours are the perfect excuse.

They are releasing they hall of armor again because they just re-released everything. It will be years before they do them all again

How exactly was the Diecast Mk V a "flawed release"? Are you talking about the old, inaccurate "RDJ" portrait they included with an otherwise stellar upgrade?

Good question! The portrait would be the only “flaw” I could think of but some people get really bent about the height.

Curious what flaw it has too. The headsculpt doesn’t really bother me. There is a height difference but other than that it’s simply amazing. Need. Might just sell my Yondu deluxe and get some extra funds to shell out the $600 he goes for consistently. Was hoping to find one around $500.

How exactly was the Diecast Mk V a "flawed release"? Are you talking about the old, inaccurate "RDJ" portrait they included with an otherwise stellar upgrade?

MMS 400

The Good:

• The figure
• The BD pieces
• Vanko's Arc Reactor

The Bad

• The Portrait - doesn't look like him and is too small for the body. Should've had a new head with hair like the scene or failing that the MK46 head, which is a good likeness.
• The stand - crappy crotch grabber that will not securely support the figure. Base too narrow to allow anything other than museum pose.
• The suitcase - plastic and a re-issue. Should have been redesigned like the figure - some diecast, moving parts etc..

There's nothing wrong with the height of the figure, it's exactly the same size as the MK 45, 46, and DC6, it's just the undersized RDJ head that makes it look too tall.

MMS 400

The Good:

• The figure
• The BD pieces
• Vanko's Arc Reactor

The Bad

• The Portrait - doesn't look like him and is too small for the body. Should've had a new head with hair like the scene or failing that the MK46 head, which is a good likeness.
• The stand - crappy crotch grabber that will not securely support the figure. Base too narrow to allow anything other than museum pose.
• The suitcase - plastic and a re-issue. Should have been redesigned like the figure - some diecast, moving parts etc..

There's nothing wrong with the height of the figure, it's exactly the same size as the MK 45, 46, and DC6, it's just the undersized RDJ head that makes it look too tall.

I 100% agree with you that they should have updated the portrait since it a.) looks nothing like RDJ and b.) is inaccurate to the scene (his hair). I'm a vocal critic when it comes to missed or poor likeness (ex: IW Cap), so I am on the boat with you for this critique.

In regards to the stand and the suitcase I see where you're coming from and am inclined to side with you, but they are not enough to qualify the entire release as "flawed", but, hey, to each his own opinion.

They are releasing they hall of armor again because they just re-released everything. It will be years before they do them all again

We have no way of knowing what they'll re-release and when. You can guess based on what they've done in the past but that's only a guide. If there's money to be made most companies will take it. They can ask more for the DC figures. For that reason they will not stop making them.

We have no way of knowing what they'll re-release and when. You can guess based on what they've done in the past but that's only a guide. If there's money to be made most companies will take it. They can ask more for the DC figures. For that reason they will not stop making them.

Honestly, this is a super fair point. With the Hulkbuster getting a re-release, and then the reissue of the mark 43, I'd say anything is possible at this point. It's sort of ruining the hobby for me.

I think the only way the original 7 suits don’t see another run, maybe once every 3-5 years is if Hot Toys doesn’t operate as a company anymore.

There is just way too much money to be had. Now, they may release the figures without a headsculpt to not have to deal with RDJ and his likeness but Hot Toys has the mold and will likely reuse them. I don’t see how Hot Toys won’t take advantage of an ever growing market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the only way the original 7 suits don’t see another run, maybe once every 3-5 years is if Hot Toys doesn’t operate as a company anymore.

There is just way too much money to be had. Now, they may release the figures without a headsculpt to not have to deal with RDJ and his likeness but Hot Toys has the mold and will likely reuse them. I don’t see how Hot Toys won’t take advantage of an ever growing market.

I disagree. Once the full original 7 have been released in diecast, I think that is it for a while for them.
That is the main reason these guys got re-done was the move to diecast releases.
To re-re-issue the same 7 suits in 3-5 years would be stupid.

I disagree. Once the full original 7 have been released in diecast, I think that is it for a while for them.
That is the main reason these guys got re-done was the move to diecast releases.
To re-re-issue the same 7 suits in 3-5 years would be stupid.

Well I guess where I differ is I think the market continues to grow and I just don’t see Hot Toys refusing to reissue it’s most popular character to a new set of collectors. Maybe 3 years is a little soon, but I don’t think it is far fetched to see another run of 1-7 in 2022-2024. Don’t care either way, but Hot Toys is still a young company. I don’t think anything is out of the picture when it comes to Iron Man.

Well I guess where I differ is I think the market continues to grow and I just don’t see Hot Toys refusing to reissue it’s most popular character to a new set of collectors. Maybe 3 years is a little soon, but I don’t think it is far fetched to see another run of 1-7 in 2022-2024. Don’t care either way, but Hot Toys is still a young company. I don’t think anything is out of the picture when it comes to Iron Man.

I think you might be right. I think we would have to wait for a Marvel First 20 years situation. They might do Avengers 1 10th year anniversary release too.

Can't exactly rule out the reissues being talked about here as companies like to make money, but I think some folks on this board need to understand you don't always get exactly what you want, when you want it, for what you want to pay. Sometimes it is actually is you snooze you lose.

I would think new collectors would want what is new and hot at the moment. There is still a ton of Marvel, DC and Star Wars movies coming that will keep Hot Toys busy for years.

I can see them using the molds for suits not in the films like the the neon, punisher or concept armor. I would not be suprised at all if the used the V or other suits for something like that. I would be shocked if the reissued them all again so soon without some kind of update or gimmick. I look at my IM figures all the time and the only thing i would want is a remote light feature besides that i'm happy.

If they did reissue all of these again in 5 years made out of something new like carbon fiber with a wireless pad they could all stand on to power the lights remotely i might bite

It's almost scary to think what HT will be charging for a IM figure in 5 years

From what I can tell prices have gone up on pretty much everything across the board and reissues / variants are nothing new, regardless of license or scale. I think that's why IS is now offering 1/10 items, while not cheap they're far less expensive than a lot of other things.

Buy what you like and the hobby is a lot more enjoyable.

Honestly, this is a super fair point. With the Hulkbuster getting a re-release, and then the reissue of the mark 43, I'd say anything is possible at this point. It's sort of ruining the hobby for me.

I think that is a problem. I don't have the Mark 43 but it's still available. I nearly pulled the trigger a couple of times but I don't like the visible screw on the back. Will the re-issue address that? I've spoken to a couple of seasoned collectors and got differing opinions. Budget Stark has said for example that this concept version 'fixes' the slight gap on the shoulders visible on the mark 46/7. When Hot Toys re-issued the Mark 42 they replaced the rubber butt. So there's the possibility for figures being improved over time.

At the end of the day re-issuing figures only benefits collectors (even if it creates hesitation), it's only people who buy the figure to hoard and sell on for a profit who lose out. I don't know if any of you guys know the Lego scene, but there was a furore a few years ago when Lego re-issued their Taj Mahal set.

https://www.fbtb.net/lego/2017/10/30/10256-taj-mahal-re-release-resellers-cry/

It costs 300 quid in the UK but before the re-issue I've seen it marked up at £5K. Obviously the re-issue burst that bubble over night.

Back