Hot Toys - MMS489 D25 - Iron Man Mark XLVI (10th Anniversary Concept Art Version)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS - Iron Man Mark XLVI (10th Anniversary Concept Art Version)

same with Cap though
Eh? The Cap one is 100% a match besides them not including an unmasked portrait.

The entire suit is tailored just like the concept including all the patterns. Actually tempted with that one:

giphy.gif

They didn't even bother trying with this IM one and just slapped gold everywhere. Would have actually been nice if they bothered doing a new mold but we get good ol lazy HT.

Well, if they were faithful to the concept art then that would require a brand-new mold, which HT surely wouldn't bother spending additional time and money on for a concept version. I don't fault them for taking the most logical/lazy business decision...a repaint! Because it works...look how many people are all ooh'd and ahh'd by a simple, but different shiny coat of paint. :lol

They will marginally raise the price for this version (even though it's the same exact 46/47 figure) and you people will salivate at the chance of ordering it.

That Lisa/Malibu Stacy meme has never been more relevant!

giphy.gif

Yep and talking down to/about people who want it makes you the superior collector for sure :rolleyes2

if you don't like it, don't buy it. Is it really necessary to be so condescending about it?

All that coming from a guy who has an iron-man repaint as his avatar picture.

Last edited:

i guess it's base on this
View attachment 418284

So instead of actually making the figure exactly like the concept art, they just recolor the mk 46. That's just lazy. The Cap version is at least faithful to the concept art as far as I can tell and not just a recolor of a previous release.

I think Mark 42 would have been a closer match.

so its kinda a mk46 retro version following on from the bones & sneaky retro's thats cool but if its stripped down then the price should be too

In case this wasn't already noticed, they actually have the pic that BatGuardian posted as the source material displayed with the figure.

concept cap and IM.jpeg

CB61A835-1587-4734-BAF8-824928EADCB9.jpeg

I'm excited for this one -- I skipped 46/47 while I was transitioning into more Star Wars stuff, and have always regretted not picking them up. I really hope they toss in the HS and collar for this release.

So instead of actually making the figure exactly like the concept art, they just recolor the mk 46. That's just lazy. The Cap version is at least faithful to the concept art as far as I can tell and not just a recolor of a previous release.

Exactly.

I actually always ALWAYS wanted them to make that armour. Just a forced representation of that armour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly.

I actually always ALWAYS wanted them to make that armour. Just a forced representation of that armour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me it makes sense that they just repainted this armor. look at what the 46/47 sell for aftermarket now. Plus this is probably one of the best die cast figures so far.

Perhaps the Mark 42, or War Machine Mark 2 mold Or maybe even the inevitable Diecast Mark 7.
That concept color imo would have been better served for those particular marks as oppose utilizing
the Mark 46 again.

Last edited:

How’s that? The 42, outside of the tone of the gold and being iron man, looks nothing like the concept art. The lines and shapes are not really close.

Easy pass for me. Looks like Mark 42, too much gold.

Easy pass for me. Looks like Mark 42, too much gold.

The gold on this looks better than the matte gold on the 42. Originally I was for the original 46 over this one, but now this is starting to look better to me.
To make it more accurate to the art concept would just be creating a new chest plate to make the arc reactor more circle. You’d think it could be easily done.

Any chance this is a stand in and they’ll make some original parts to closer match the concept?

That armor doesn't exist even in this already fictional sense, Hot Toys would have to invent the entire back half of it from scratch

Most of what concept art is is recoloring existing assets and tweaking lines in photoshop to spitball ideas dozens if not hundreds of times, considering this one colorway that could have been applied to any armor outline as sacrosanct only in its presented illustrated form is a bit much to expect

ZmVXVEv.jpg

x3UM2mc.jpg

Cap was pretty easy as his uniform shape and abs is the same as existing outfits dyed black with some rubber detailing on it to hide the star area, shoulders, and lose the kneepads. Paint the existing helmet, boots, harness, belt, and shields black and silver and its done. A few orders of magnitude less engineering than producing a novel Iron Man armor from one drawing

Yep and talking down to/about people who want it makes you the superior collector for sure :rolleyes2

if you don't like it, don't buy it. Is it really necessary to be so condescending about it?

All that coming from a guy who has an iron-man repaint as his avatar picture.

I wasn't at all trying to be condescending...was just pointing out why it wouldn't make sense for HT to spend additional capital on a figure that is only based on a drawing for a rejected design.

The smart business decision is simply doing a re-paint on an existing mold because they know people will buy it because it's Iron Man...and that is precisely what is happening on HT's side and on the consumer side. There seems to be a great deal of interest from people (based on the comments on this board) who seem to want it.

And yes, I liked the paint scheme a lot on the re-paint of Sneaky, so I made it my avatar...but I don't own it. :wink1:

Any chance this is a stand in and they’ll make some original parts to closer match the concept?

The gold on this looks better than the matte gold on the 42. Originally I was for the original 46 over this one, but now this is starting to look better to me.
To make it more accurate to the art concept would just be creating a new chest plate to make the arc reactor more circle. You’d think it could be easily done.

Why bother when people will still buy it without any changes?

All the grey highlights are gone. About a 1/3 of the red is now gold. Said gold is now more metallic

View attachment 418421View attachment 418422

Thanks for that. I actually prefer the original look. This one looks too similar to many of the other colour schemes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back