Hot Toys MMS429 - Return of the Jedi Luke Skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems like too much work for very little return (don't get me wrong, I do see improvement, just not enough to justify going to those lengths).

I guess I have to say it . I guess I need to see how it looks in person.. if I try this method all that duct tape concerns me :horror

Not that I’m saying the tape will hinder anything , but hopefully you can still get him into full dynamic squatting poses without the clothes getting ripped rubbing against that tape :lecture

Sensational pics BTW

That's why I think it may be best to just cut out the belly section like on the pic I marked up a few pages back. Simple to do too. Then the suit still holds together. Maybe no duct tape needed at all then ?? Keeping the fat suit on the sides will also help keep the black over garment relatively tight.

Anyway, great effort by Timemeddler !!

@time meddler, how does your mod look with the tunic on and the belt off , I’ve noticed every shot after your mod you still left the belt on the tunic . I wonder with just the sash around your modded waist does it look too thin, and could you put him in dynamic poses that way we can see if the Duct tape doesn’t hinder anything :dunno

That's why I think it may be best to just cut out the belly section like on the pic I marked up a few pages back. Simple to do too. Then the suit still holds together. Maybe no duct tape needed at all then ?? Keeping the fat suit on the sides will also help keep the black over garment relatively tight.

Anyway, great effort by Timemeddler !!

My issue in DS mode for this is just that . I want ( judging by TM’s before shots in DS mode) is just get rid or tighten it around the sides of the waist so it doesn’t look sagging. I was thinking of a method I tried using some plastic bands just to squeeze in that area just enough .

The one look I have to try is the full tunic on without the belt, because that’s my favorite version of the film . And if I mod it to the degree that TM did will the waist look too thin without the utility belt . That will not work for me if it is. Like I said I need to see this in person :lecture

My issue in DS mode for this is just that . I want ( judging by TM’s before shots in DS mode) is just get rid or tighten it around the sides of the waist so it doesn’t look sagging. I was thinking of a method I tried using some plastic bands just to squeeze in that area just enough .

The one look I have to try is the full tunic on without the belt, because that’s my favorite version of the film . And if I mod it to the degree that TM did will the waist look too thin without the utility belt . That will not work for me if it is. Like I said I need to see this in person :lecture

Yes, I'm the same I'll need to have look when I get mine. But I see your method may work depending how easily the suit yields and how much compression you can achieve.

Yes, I'm the same I'll need to have look when I get mine. But I see your method may work depending how easily the suit yields and how much compression you can achieve.

I wish TM showed us a pic of the DS mode before he cut up the fatsuit. And not the just the one where he completely removed it. This is why taking pics with the figure laying down on a textured surface is not the best to show a modd, because the camera catches the surface and reflects it off in the pic .

what we need is a standing straight up shot of the modded figure without the belt but tunic on

The more I see the modd the more now the tunic looks a little too wide on top and the waist could look a little too thin without the belt

I just want to tighten or squeeze in this area

Last edited:
I wish TM showed us a pic of the DS mode before he cut up the fatsuit. And not the just the one where he completely removed it. This is why taking pics with the figure laying down on a textured surface is not the best to show a modd, because the camera catches the surface and reflects it off in the pic .

what we need is a standing straight up shot of the modded figure without the belt but tunic on

The more I see the modd the more now the tunic looks a little too wide on top and the waist could look a little too thin without the belt

I just want to tighten or squeeze in this area

Ha, this is looking like the quickest turnaround ever - it’s onky taken 3 pages!!! I would say that you won’t have much luck trying to “squeeze” the ab section of that fat suit, as it’s pretty thick and I don’t think there is that much potential for compression of that section. That is why I decided to cut it out completely.

I am a fairly heavy modder of my figures, so things like this don’t scare me! And I’m not done with him yet - I still intend to get my sewing needle out and make some more permanent alterations. So are you saying that you think the pic I took with the tunic on with no fat suit on looked better in the shoulders than when I put the shoulder section of the fat suit back on under the tunic? I see advantages and disadvantages in both.

Left: no fat suit, right: shoulder & upper back section of fat suit back in place:

1B6544B5-76D4-4BFC-BE35-C4A094C85EC2.jpg

Ha, this is looking like the quickest turnaround ever - it’s onky taken 3 pages!!! I would say that you won’t have much luck trying to “squeeze” the ab section of that fat suit, as it’s pretty thick and I don’t think there is that much potential for compression of that section. That is why I decided to cut it out completely.

I am a fairly heavy modder of my figures, so things like this don’t scare me! And I’m not done with him yet - I still intend to get my sewing needle out and make some more permanent alterations. So are you saying that you think the pic I took with the tunic on with no fat suit on looked better in the shoulders than when I put the shoulder section of the fat suit back on under the tunic? I see advantages and disadvantages in both.

Left: no fat suit, right: shoulder & upper back section of fat suit back in place:

View attachment 409812

Not at all, :wave

but I need to see him in dynamic poses and I need to see your modd without the belt and just the sash because what the belt does is add the perspective of thickness to the modded waist , that’s fine but that’s not the way I want to leave him since he was only like this in one scene. as I mentioned , tunic on , belt off , that’s my prime look I want to display him or DS star mode :wink1:

And I hope your modd didn’t make the bottom of the tunic shorter, because that won’t work for me either if I modd it like you did

:panic:

I just assumed this happened because you rushed fitting the tunic on

Last edited:
Pose options with this figure are ridiculous. I count at least 4 different outfit options.

I may have to get more than 1 figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I preordered 2 because I knew I could have a lot of fun with him. If they release an Endor accessory pack instead of a whole figure I’ll probably have to get a 3rd one.

Not at all, :wave

but I need to see him in dynamic poses and I need to see your modd without the belt and just the sash because what the belt does is add the perspective of thickness to the modded waist , that’s fine but that’s not the way I want to leave him since he was only like this in one scene. as I mentioned , tunic on , belt off , that’s my prime look I want to display him or DS star mode :wink1:

And I hope your modd didn’t make the bottom of the tunic shorter, because that won’t work for me either if I modd it like you did

:panic:

I just assumed this happened because you rushed fitting the tunic on

The tunic appears longer in the left picture because the ENTIRE fat suit has been removed, so there is a lot less “body” for the tunic to cover and hence it hangs lower. The photo on the right has the shoulder & upper-back padding added back in, hence making the tunic look “shorter” as the distance between the top of the shoulders and the waist has now been increased by the thickness of that padding. The length of the tunic in the right photo can therefore be no shorter than the tunic with the full fatsuit still in place (the stock figure). How can I reduce the tunic length by removing padding underneath?!!!

I think what you’re actually saying is that the length of the tunic on the stock figure is in fact too short (due to the excessive padding underneath) and that you prefer the length/look of it with the fatsuit completely removed, which must therefore be the way for you to go if you want to achieve that tunic length. Again, there is no way I could have REDUCED the length of the tunic by REMOVING material...!

Here is the un-modded figure straight out of the box, and you can see the bottom of the crotch of his trousers below the tunic, so it’s too short if left as stock:
52D8185A-F683-4DB3-90AD-EB459BCE7DB4.jpg

The tunic appears longer in the left picture because the ENTIRE fat suit has been removed, so there is a lot less “body” for the tunic to cover and hence it hangs lower. The photo on the right has the shoulder & upper-back padding added back in, hence making the tunic look “shorter” as the distance between the top of the shoulders and the waist has now been increased by the thickness of that padding. The length of the tunic in the right photo can therefore be no shorter than the tunic with the full fatsuit still in place (the stock figure). How can I reduce the tunic length by removing padding underneath?!!!

I think what you’re actually saying is that the length of the tunic on the stock figure is in fact too short (due to the excessive padding underneath) and that you prefer the length/look of it with the fatsuit completely removed, which must therefore be the way for you to go if you want to achieve that tunic length. Again, there is no way I could have REDUCED the length of the tunic by REMOVING material...!

I get what you’re implying, however this could also be the result of you still having the belt on the tunic after your modd ( feeling like the tunic s feels too short at the bottom ) because the belt is squeezing the waist in , ever so slightly , so the bottom of the tunic looks compressed. That’s why try showing us your modd without the belt on and try yanking or futzing with the bottom the tunic to slide down so the top of the tunic lays completely flush on his shoulders

It might add length or it might not

Here is the un-modded figure straight out of the box, and you can see the bottom of the crotch of his trousers below the tunic, so it’s too short if left as stock:
View attachment 409825

Can't thank you enough, Timemeddler!! As others have noted, your efforts to document and share the mods you're making to Luke are greatly appreciated.

You make a great point about the tunic/kimono length. The fatsuit seems to make it drop shorter than it should be, but it's a more proper length in your photo of the figure without any of the padding on. That's a relief.

I'm fairly disappointed by HT's tailoring efforts on this iconic character costume, but the photos and info you've provided are giving me hope that it can still look more screen-accurate with some tailoring and further modifications. The "boxiness" of the chest (from the front) seems to be a persistent issue, but you've demonstrated that a lot can be done in other areas. Thanks again for your generosity with the pics and info; your efforts have been very helpful. :duff

I'm surprised that no one picked up yet that the red and green arrows on the saber are reversed. Such a small thing, lol, but def a mistake

Back