Hot Toys - MMS293-294? - Star Wars Episode IV - 1/6th Luke Skywalker & Leia Organa

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Where are Hot Toys Luke and Leia?

For a thread about Luke and Leia action figures, this thread has some pretty freaking astute commentary about the films. I for p e would like a ROTJ Luke with hooded robe, after Star Wars Luke of course. ( I have a difficult time with the ANH title as it plays into legitimizing the newer 3 movies.)

That it does. I think that true popular culture is similar to myth in that it lives and mutates; it exists outside of its own source material to an extent. This is what Star Wars has become...it seems obvious to me that all the complex nuances we discuss re: character development, dialogue etc. are entirely our own projections, given the sketchy and inconsistent source material.

Lucas may be the ultimate control freak but he lost control of his monster a long, long time ago...

I already have a custom Luke Jedi that I love (HT head, Medi clothes, SSC cloak and accessories) so I'm less desperate for one than I would be otherwise. What I'd love is a Hoth Snowspeeder Luke after seeing that amazing custom someone posted a while back:
snowspeederluke.jpg

It's got a really fresh feel to it as its not an outfit we see often. I would also love stormtrooper Luke.

That it does. I think that true popular culture is similar to myth in that it lives and mutates; it exists outside of its own source material to an extent. This is what Star Wars has become...it seems obvious to me that all the complex nuances we discuss re: character development, dialogue etc. are entirely our own projections, given the sketchy and inconsistent source material.

Lucas may be the ultimate control freak but he lost control of his monster a long, long time ago...

Great post, but I think the archetypal nature of Star Wars was built into it. Everyone knows about Joseph Campbell's influence on Lucas, less well known is the influence of Bruno Bettelheim's book The Uses of Enchantment and how fairy tales distill the collective unconscious into easy lessons for kids to learn. I actually watched Star Wars with my kid the other day and we had a great discussion about how the Death Star is a dragon that Luke slays.

Great post, but I think the archetypal nature of Star Wars was built into it. Everyone knows about Joseph Campbell's influence on Lucas, less well known is the influence of Bruno Bettelheim's book The Uses of Enchantment and how fairy tales distill the collective unconscious into easy lessons for kids to learn. I actually watched Star Wars with my kid the other day and we had a great discussion about how the Death Star is a dragon that Luke slays.

Wow. I'm so gonna tell people I came up with that!! Thanks! :clap:rotfl

Ah yes...agreed on the above, but I'm referring more to the way we dissect dialogue and events...the broad strokes are built from myth, and that...amongst many other things...are what we start projecting on to things like Ben's motives and Luke's relationships...when in reality there were no complex motivations and subtle nuances intended by Lucas. He was flying by the seat of his pants and got lucky. Then he got rich. And then...well let's just say I'm looking forward to Abrams' take on the property. ;)

I already have a custom Luke Jedi that I love (HT head, Medi clothes, SSC cloak and accessories) so I'm less desperate for one than I would be otherwise. What I'd love is a Hoth Snowspeeder Luke after seeing that amazing custom someone posted a while back:

[snip photo of Dorgmal Snow's custom]

It's got a really fresh feel to it as its not an outfit we see often. I would also love stormtrooper Luke.

I'm a big fan of that one too. I've decided I'm going to try using the SSC pilot Luke as a base and use parts from Hoth Luke to bash a snowspeeder pilot Luke. The jacket will be the biggest problem but not insurmountable.

Insightful post. I also believe that's what happens with religion... but that's a whole other thing. :) But yes, the transformation that goes on with "stories" over time is fascinating, much like that telephone game you played when you were a kid. What goes in never comes out quite the same.

Obi-Wan is probably next so these probably will be a while I'm guessing. I doubt we'll get any reveals this week since we got two last week. I'd like to be wrong though.

I'd like you to be wrong too. I wish Star Wars moved at the same rate as Avengers.
For a while Star Wars kind of was moving along pretty quickly with announcements. Now Hot Toys is gearing up for Age of Ultron though. I like announcements coming but at the same time its nice getting a break so it's likely the figures will come later and give more time between payments.

I know everything comes to a screeching halt in China for their new year celebration, but does that include announcements? If we don't hear anything by when the celebrations begin, then we have yet another few weeks of no news?

What did Luke do with the ladder on his x-wing just before he took off from Dagobah?

He stuffed it in the glove box so he could use it on Bespin.

Celebration would be a good place to debut Luke and Leia...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back