Hot Toys - MMS215 - Iron Man 3 - IGOR (MARK XXXVIII) - Official Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love all the declarations by uninformed people on how much this figure will cost. People make outrageous statements that seem to suggest that a figure shouldn't cost more than the cost of the plastic used to manufacture said figure, but it's the time, effort and resources that turn the raw materials, in this case plastic, into the figure which some, as myself, consider a small work of art.

Let's talk licensing. Having looked at many licensing agreements (including Marvel), many operate with a upfront guarantee payment - that is the licensee pays this amount upfront essentially as a advance on royalties for sales of the finished, licensed product. If the licensee doesn't sell enough, it eats the cost. Some licenses may then provide for additional royalty payments based on product sold, with various sliding scales, etc. that are all negotiated, while others only have the one time fixed license fee.

Then, as previously mentioned, you have the R&D costs. While this is a fixed cost (not dependent on units of product sold), this can be substantial. Tooling costs are also a substantial fixed cost. While fixed costs can be recouped from sales of units, manufacturing costs, which are not fixed, can be significant. Every figure sold requires labor cost, and while China has in recent history been viewed as a source of cheap labor, labor costs are rising. Quality control is another cost - its costs $ to send JC Hong or some other HT representative to the PRC to oversee manufacturing. Then you have all the other costs such as outsourcing fees, rents, advertising, insurance, employee benefits, shipping and logistics, legal and accounting costs, salaries and wages for employees (assuming the manufacturing is outsourced), regulatory fees (China has a lot of red tape to wade through), kickbacks and "special payments" (yes, such practices are widespread in China) plus additional overhead costs. It all adds up. Could they charge less and still generate profit? Perhaps, but the "how much" is only known by management and their accountants. As has been stated ad nauseum, they are a business with the goal of generating earnings.

If they charged $350 they will still make a HUGE profit! But nooooooo they are greedy and want more because they know people like you will buy.

Megacolor do you have a single fact from your import/export 'business' to back up any statement you've made in this thread?

Sideshow pricing is wack, toys2 has it for 489.99, the odd-even pricing is working on me...DAMN YOU PRICING STRATEGIES!

Megacolor do you have a single fact from your import/export 'business' to back up any statement you've made in this thread?

I have paper work/documents of the cost to make and produces what we sell to our accounts holders for and what they retail it for. QVC and HSN are some of our account holders. If that helps. I know what I'm talking about guys. We have factories in China and Thailand. You'll be be surprised!!

Preordered using flex pay--it's a unique armor and I'm a little tired of all the red and gold anyway. Either going to display him throwing down with the Hulk or holding up a detolf shelf. It's going to be a long year (plus however many months he's delayed) waiting to get him in-hand.

If its not related to 1/6 figure production, licensing, or manufacturing, than you don't know. And I'm not trying to be a jerk. Not every business is the same. Do you have an idea of how much sculpters make a year? How much the Marvel licensing is? Any details of their manufacting? And don't just answers yes, provide proof or stop pretending like you know something. It doesn't seem like anyone is buying it. And no one is hating on you. You're just making outrageous claims without any proof or facts.

Last edited:
This is becoming one of those threads that's only worth looking at for the GIFs...anyone have a nice ScarJo one handy?

$509.99 for this?
Are you kidding me?
The thing had 10 seconds of screen time and then got blown up.
It's an easy pass.
As soon as Hot Toys shows Pepper Potts,I'm done with Iron Man.

.. not hating.. just pointing out different products are.. different.

If your company makes high-end collectible figures from Hollywood licenses, like Hot Toys, Enterbay, Play Imaginative, etc. then you can hammer home the production cost v RRP differentials.. otherwise you simply do not have the data to make some of the claims you are making.. watches on QVC is chalk and cheese.. I know someone who deals in that kind of import / export business and its a completely different kettle of fish.

.. not hating.. just pointing out different products are.. different.

If your company makes high-end collectible figures from Hollywood licenses, like Hot Toys, Enterbay, Play Imaginative, etc. then you can hammer home the production cost v RRP differentials.. otherwise you simply do not have the data to make some of the claims you are making.. watches on QVC is chalk and cheese.. I know someone who deals in that kind of import / export business and its a completely different kettle of fish.

so your saying to produces a plastic figure is harder then making a watch the have 1000 moving metal parts inside? licenses is they only thing that will bring cost up and I agreed with you on that. But come on now..$500 for plastic?

Ill admit toys2 has some good prices on a lot of things I have gotten a few things there I live in the states so shipping cost around 60$ a figure so even if gotten from them I would be paying more . I've pre-ordered I currently do not have any Iron Man figures besides Mech test 2.0 and that is a stark figure. No issues buy this what so ever. I honestly wish I could by direct from Hot toys but that will never happen. To many figures to many times . I like one persons idea ill use it to hold up a detolf

Last edited:
so your saying to produces a plastic figure is harder then making a watch the have 1000 moving metal parts inside? licenses is they only thing that will bring cost up and I agreed with you on that. But come on now..$500 for plastic?

No. Thats what you're not getting. Its just different. And you should know that.

The mechanisms inside those watches are mass produced by machines, like computer parts (which also have 1000s of complicated components).. by contrast the high-end figures are created from scratch, have custom sculpting, which has to be approved by the studio/actor's management and are then assembled by hand in relatively (compared with watches) small quantities.. like I said, chalk and cheese.. if its the QVC model you are working from, then that is why you are mistaken.

You may find the interview with a manager from Big Chief, on one of the early Hottoycast podcasts from Eamon and his crack team of most excellent fellow boardies, informative regarding production costs.
:peace

all of Hot Toys plastic molds are also mass produced by machines. everything are created from scratch when they first get a mold.

Back