Hot Toys - MMS196 - The Avengers: Battle Damaged Mark VII (Movie Promo Edition)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Certain figures are just destined to become grail pieces for some collectors.. its part of the allure of the hobby.. if you could pick up anything for $49 whenever you wanted, it wouldn't be nearly as fun / addictive.

Yeah, if the Mark VII BD was $49 I wouldn't like it as much.

I'd be like, "nah, this figure sucks-it's waaayyy to cheap. If it was a couple of hundered dollars more then I'd be ALL OVER IT!"....:rotfl

:huh

The demon lives in here. This thread just can't seem to shake it :lol

The fig looks awesome but it can't be said that it didn't take a hit from proto to production. It lost that sexy luster from the proto and is a lot duller now. The sculpt lost expression but I feel it actually gained a little likeness; mainly in the eyes which is really nice to see because the eyes on several recent figs have been having the opposite turn from proto to production.

I'm still pumped to get this despite losing a few points from proto. I used points on SS so I got this for $220 shipped; can't go wrong with that! :joy

He'll probably be in the team display and my clean MK VII will probably spend most of the time in the Hall Of Armor

Gosh, you guys are sensitive people..lol,..take it easy..I come here for fun and enjoy new information on this forum..ok

Yeah, that hasn't been the case for rare figures, and prices seem to spike when it gets in the hands of collectors for the first time, just not going to argue with anyone...believe what you like
I'm an empiricist, so please, provide us with the examples of all these rare, $800+ Hot Toys figures you speak of.

Even at the height of their popularity, there was only one Predator I saw consistently going for those kinds of prices. Every now and then you would see an P2 Elder, but it wasn't particularly rare, just popular.

R.P.D Leon comes to mind. I paid $600 dollars for that POS a year ago, can't find any for less than $900.
A POS. I want to sell it, but I just happen to love it so much.
I know, I make no sense.

Yeah, if the Mark VII BD was $49 I wouldn't like it as much.

I'd be like, "nah, this figure sucks-it's waaayyy to cheap. If it was a couple of hundered dollars more then I'd be ALL OVER IT!"....:rotfl

:huh

Everyone could just buy Neca figures, rather than the more expensive Hot Toys.. only buy products at $49 or less?.. there does sometimes seem to be the teeniest, tiniest, tendency towards presumption of entitlement in the market, no?

The point I was making is that its buyers not sellers who dictate the market.. and the aspirations of those buyers are what really makes collecting fun.. so if every figure was $49 dollars and there were 7 gazillion of them at every retail outlet, collecting would be pretty boring.. Walmart!.. its the new Hot Toys!

Edit -
.. and here is one of those really expensive Hot Toys -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20096957...l?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=200969572268&_rdc=1

I'm not particularly taking sides but such items do exist.

Last edited:
That Silly Thing Iron Man is one of the few that has gotten to that price mark (strangely to me, considering the really dated sculpt). But as I said before, it is the real exception to the rule. 4 or 5 figures in the entire history of Hot Toys doesn't constitute "many" figures. RPD Leon doesn't sell for that much, it's just that folks post BINs for that price and hope some schmuck comes along and pays it. I just checked, and the last one that sold on eBay went for right over $500. One of the issues with Hot Toys is that few of their releases are truly rare. Even these supposedly rare exclusives like the BD figure here probably have multiple thousands produced (their 10th anniversary "exclusive" figures had 4,000 produced of each).

Davey Jones is rare..........bd mk vii is not. Hell, im starting to think Hawkeye was produced less than the mk vii.

That Silly Thing Iron Man is one of the few that has gotten to that price mark (strangely to me, considering the really dated sculpt). But as I said before, it is the real exception to the rule. 4 or 5 figures in the entire history of Hot Toys doesn't constitute "many" figures. RPD Leon doesn't sell for that much, it's just that folks post BINs for that price and hope some schmuck comes along and pays it. I just checked, and the last one that sold on eBay went for right over $500. One of the issues with Hot Toys is that few of their releases are truly rare. Even these supposedly rare exclusives like the BD figure here probably have multiple thousands produced (their 10th anniversary "exclusive" figures had 4,000 produced of each).

That isn't really the Silly Thing version, is it? I thought there was the gunmetal grey, and there was an even rarer Silly Thing version of the gunmetal grey that came with a slightly different base.

That isn't really the Silly Thing version, is it? I thought there was the gunmetal grey, and there was an even rarer Silly Thing version of the gunmetal grey that came with a slightly different base.

I have the NON Silly Thing version. And I checked when I bought it. I think the only difference is the words SILLY THING on the stand. The figure isn't different in any way.

Agreed, while Xenu may have gilded the lily a tad, over frequency.. rare items are not, by their nature going to come onto the market that often.. the interesting thing is going back on Toy Collecting forums and seeing whether or not some of these items, were figures that were in demand when they came out.

Silly Thing for example.. many people commented at the time on forums, that it was over-priced (at the time of release) and it didn't appear in the film.. thus it was an 'easy pass'.. the dated sculpt is less important than the rarity to some collectors, indeed several of the early RDJ sculpts look dated now.. Special Project is also a case in point.. but the figure can be displayed without the sculpt.

So the interesting thing seems to be an increase in demand (and awareness) when 'limited edition' items are announced now, compared with a few years ago.. since the rarity of these figures is often nothing like as limited, as some releases for example in the Designer Vinyl market.. were limited editions' (official numbering is common) production runs may be very small indeed.

I think a fair point to make is, that many collectors may have delayed a purchasing decision (I know I have done this).. if the 'limited edition' item then becomes difficult /expensive to obtain, a lot of the complaints may have more to do with the chagrin of hindsight, than a lack of opportunity to source the item at retail originally (sweeping generalisation accepted).

*Edit - Correction, I was thinking of the Mark II sculpt, not the Special Project. :eek:

Last edited:
I have the NON Silly Thing version. And I checked when I bought it. I think the only difference is the words SILLY THING on the stand. The figure isn't different in any way.

Agreed, I'm pretty sure you are 100% correct there is no difference except the name plate and possibly the name reference on the packaging as well (I'm hunting the US version, precisely because there are more of those figures) however some completionists may decide the name plate difference, means they want both.

Why is it called Silly Thing?

Silly Thing is a Hong Kong based record label with a small tight knit community of artists. Its also a designer store in HK. The exclusive was sold at the store.

So, it’s a mix of cool music, designer clothes and exclusive toys.

So I've noticed a few of these High priced figures, and I've always wondered if they really are that rare. Figures like Godfather, and Harvey Dent, Blade, and Police Uniform Leon. Now, while Leon is a grail piece for me, I don't know if I could pay a ton of money for him.

On the issue of BD Mark 7, I really want one but not at 800 bucks. I'll probably just get NECA's 1/4 BD Mark 7 to display cause it looks pretty cool. I may just get the regular Mark 7 since it's a more affordable. If you can call 350 more affordable...

So I've noticed a few of these High priced figures, and I've always wondered if they really are that rare. Figures like Godfather, and Harvey Dent, Blade, and Police Uniform Leon. Now, while Leon is a grail piece for me, I don't know if I could pay a ton of money for him.

On the issue of BD Mark 7, I really want one but not at 800 bucks. I'll probably just get NECA's 1/4 BD Mark 7 to display cause it looks pretty cool. I may just get the regular Mark 7 since it's a more affordable. If you can call 350 more affordable...

It is difficult to establish an exact production figure for Silly Thing, but allegedly only 500 exist worldwide.. split between Silly Thing (2008) and the SDCC 2009 stand version.. originally the SDCC figure retailed at $189.99 from Sideshow, so there is probably a lesson right there.

My reason for hunting one, is that I don't have a Mark III in my collection (according to MWCToys there are some subtle differences between the two), so having a rare 'repaint' (matte gray pearl and slightly worn look) variant instead, is totally logical.. well, that's my excuse ..and I'm sticking to it.
https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_103009b.htm

.. still haven't decided on the Mk VII BD.. probably end up regretting it at leisure, later. :lol

1385849_505401879549146_1406496131_n.jpg

Back