Hot Toys - MMS185 - The Avengers: Iron Man MK VII Official Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The new chin IS the more accurate one. I've seen shots in the movie where the Mk7 was rendered with and without the chin notch. Again can't rely on screen grabs since a lot of the Mk7 was done with CG, and CG artists make tiny mistakes.

Full scale bust from Legacy's molds:
MFTHiN.jpg

And Legacy's statue display (pic is too big so just putting the link):
https://www.thereplicapropforum.com/gallery/data/933/iron-man-mark-vii-costume-12.JPG

that picture is inaccurate to what we actually got in the movie though... all screen grabs ive seen have not chin notch

that picture is inaccurate to what we actually got in the movie though... all screen grabs ive seen have not chin notch

Here's one with the notch. Can't find a larger pic of this though, but if you zoom in you can sorta see it:
https://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__c...th-199999)_from_Marvel's_The_Avengers_002.jpg

To me, which would I consider more screen accurate - the original prop makers who worked side by side with the designers, or renderings that the CG artists probably created using the prop maker's maquettes and the final drawings? The latter leaves more room for mistakes in translation.

Ultimately just go with whatever you like best.

Btw just to point out another CG mistake, on that shot notice that the U-shape at the top of the faceplate is narrower than the Mk7 intended design, looks more like the Mk4/6 helmet. The Mk7 top has more of a V-shape than a U-shape. The shot in the link I provided in my last post also has the same mistake.

If what we're looking for is screen/movie accuracy, and the vast majority of shots of the armor is in CG, shouldn't we be aiming to match the CG look? The legacy prop's neck/chest area never appeared that way in the movie for example.

I think the notch left in the actual movie is THE mistake. My guess is the notch was there on the legacy props because they needed a hole to allow whoever was wearing the costume to breathe. The notch was meant to be erased post-process via CG.

If what we're looking for is screen/movie accuracy, and the vast majority of shots of the armor is in CG, shouldn't we be aiming to match the CG look? The legacy prop's neck/chest area never appeared that way in the movie for example.

I think the notch left in the actual movie is THE mistake. My guess is the notch was there on the legacy props because they needed a hole to allow whoever was wearing the costume to breathe. The notch was meant to be erased post-process via CG.

Agreed. :goodpost:

Yep, im more about Movie accuracy vs. Early prototype, design concept sculpt etc...

final product in the movie is what I lean towards

ps. I do kind of like the notch though, hence my dilemma

I eBayed the entire set. :D I figured with shipping to my country, the slightly higher price to SSC was ok. I'll display mine with the original Mark VII head though unless the notched helmet's entire shape was tweaked and looked better in hand (more accurate) than the original.

Wow nice pics. Did u put anything behind those eyes? Seems more white than mine

I just quickly put some tissue behind the face plates. I took the batteries out, so the tissue stops the eyes from being black. I'm going to do it properly eventually and have paper pushing up against the lens. In those pics you can see where it comes away at the side of the eye.

To me, which would I consider more screen accurate - the original prop makers who worked side by side with the designers, or renderings that the CG artists probably created using the prop maker's maquettes and the final drawings? The latter leaves more room for mistakes in translation.

Most, if not all of the practical Iron Man stuff is now CG first and then 3d printed at Legacy for the prop suits. There will be some minor changes for things like prop articulation, but most of the prop stuff is trying to replicate the CG model.

Except the movie shows the helmet with and without the notch. Here's that same shot in hi-rez, you can clearly see the chin notch:
https://hdwallpapersmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Iron-Man-Pix.jpg

What Legacy builds and SSC sells from them is not an early prototype, it's the final design. And by that argument if you're going to go with a select shot from the movie as screen accurate, it's actually impossible to recreate since no HT helmet has that chin and that upper vent :rotfl I can go through various screen grabs of the rendered Mk7 and point out differences from one shot to the other, kinda hard to define screen grabs as the definitive screen accurate version.

I'm also planning to eBay the whole head once I get the new one, I'd like to recover some of my cost of the workshop head if not all of it.

Nope, it's part of the design. The only practical helmet and partial suit created was likely just the scene where Stark is lying on the ground after defeating the Chitauri, and that helmet was open face. IM and IM2 both used practical covered helmets and neither of those designs needed a hole on the chin to breathe. I own a fiberglass replica of the Mk3 helmet and believe me, you don't need a hole on the chin to breathe, it's not air-tight and pretty easy to breathe in it.

Also doesn't explain why the CG artists changed the upper vent design back to the Mk4/6. When you contract various FX studios to render CG for a movie, tiny mistakes and differences happen.

I just quickly put some tissue behind the face plates. I took the batteries out, so the tissue stops the eyes from being black. I'm going to do it properly eventually and have paper pushing up against the lens. In those pics you can see where it comes away at the side of the eye.

Nice... simple yet effective.

Except the movie shows the helmet with and without the notch. Here's that same shot in hi-rez, you can clearly see the chin notch:
https://hdwallpapersmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Iron-Man-Pix.jpg

That goes both ways. There are a lot of scenes where there is no notch too. Especially in the airborne scenes where I would assume we're seeing CGI.

Actually, I'm starting to think the "notch" was battle damage. It sure looks like it here:
Mk_VIIMissile.png

The notch in this close-up appears to be a smudge of dirt, and it even crosses over to the gold bit on his chin. I couldn't find the notch before the fight began:
Mark_VIIArmy.png

It's not on the practical suit here either:
Mark_VIIMask_Off.png

What Legacy builds and SSC sells from them is not an early prototype, it's the final design.

But in all of the appearances of the Mark VII on screen, none of them have the silver clavicles from the legacy (and SSC) models.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not picking a fight here. I'm also just looking for which version would be more movie-accurate and I wouldn't mind to be proven wrong. Because there are minute differences from scene to scene, I'm inclined to lean more towards which appears more times in regards to the presence or absence of a chin-notch.

I think what we established is you can go with either one and find a reason to be happy with it :duff 99.9% of people out there wouldn't even notice the difference, it's just OCD folks like ourselves.

I like the notch. Don't really know why. Ill be glad to put the new head on my mkvii

I've been on the waitlist for this figure just because...i know it had no chance to convert but there is no harm in staying on a waitlist....just got an email saying that they officially closed the waitlist for this, the Mark VII exclusive, Mark VII Battle Damaged, and the Midas.....my order was cancelled.

I've been on the waitlist for this figure just because...i know it had no chance to convert but there is no harm in staying on a waitlist....just got an email saying that they officially closed the waitlist for this, the Mark VII exclusive, Mark VII Battle Damaged, and the Midas.....my order was cancelled.

There are still places with this figure for sale.

Back