Hot Toys - MMS179 - The Amazing Spider-Man: Spider-Man

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just saw the movie. Can't wait to own it on Blu-Ray, along with Avengers and Dark Knight Rises. Best year for comic book movies since... well, since 2008.

Oh and I definitely think the eyes are going to need to be corrected. They seem to be a dark silver with some kind of pearlescent yellowish tint, if anything. Simply making them a dark, but not too dark, silver will fix the look. Maybe add a virtually clear piece of yellow tinted glossy plastic over each eye to give it the proper effect in certain light. Since, in some scenes the light source(s) did appear to add in oranges and yellows.

link to a close up view of the eyes in somewhat neutral lighting and how they are constructed. the pic is large so i dont want to post it here

https://cdn.ifanboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/The-Amazing-Spider-Man.jpg

in the movie they appeared to be a light orange anti reflective material (like anti reflective ski goggles or sun glasses use) with a thin clear lens over top. they are indeed orange, though its tint and color are affected by the lighting and the clear lens over top of them. they white color people see in the movie is the light coming off of the clear portion not the orange tinted inner eye pieces in most cases

you can see how much lighting affects the the over all color and appearance of the eyes in this picture
350toya.jpg

every toy of this guy regardless of brand hasn't seemed to nail down how to get it to appear properly without looking like a bright orange skittle.

Last edited:
Just saw the movie and IMO it is the best Spider-man movie ever. The first three were great, but this one was awesome. Cannot wait to get the figure. :yess:

link to a close up view of the eyes in somewhat neutral lighting and how they are constructed. the pic is large so i dont want to post it here

https://cdn.ifanboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/The-Amazing-Spider-Man.jpg

in the movie they appeared to be a light orange anti reflective material (like anti reflective ski goggles or sun glasses use) with a thin clear lens over top. they are indeed orange, though its tint and color are affected by the lighting and the clear lens over top of them. they white color people see in the movie is the light coming off of the clear portion not the orange tinted inner eye pieces in most cases

you can see how much lighting affects the the over all color and appearance of the eyes in this picture
350toya.jpg

every toy of this guy regardless of brand hasn't seemed to nail down how to get it to appear properly without looking like a bright orange skittle.
The eyes are very unique. It's hard to really figure them out, as mentioned before. That said, the eyes never look flat out orange, more like a goldish color.

I'm not sure what the deal is. Maybe it is indeed a reflective silver tint on the outside and more a gold on the inside. At any rate, they should just make them a slightly darker gold with a silver tinted metalic paint, or wash of some kind, gently applied over it. At the very least, it would appease a larger portion of the fans.

As it stands, I'll be painting the eyes, so it will simply save me an extra step. Still, I do like the idea I suggested earlier, about them adding a reflective type plastic over the eyes. That would be awesome.

As far as I can remember the eyes on the mask is made by him cutting up a pair of shades so they're black

I dunno what film y'all watching because the eyes are clearly a golden yellow throughout the whole film, just with a reflective surface! You even see Peter dissembling a pair of sunglasses to make the eyes on the suit and they're clearly GOLD!

If hot toys change these eyes to silver because of a few people moaning like a _____ then I for one will certainly be cancelling my pre-order as it will no longer be screen accurate!

All the needs fixing with the eyes is the rim, its metallic blue, not black!

Screenshot from the movie, clearly gold, clearly a blue trim!

asm1.jpg

Seen it twice now and it's somewhat incosistant throughout the film with regards to the lenses

I think this is largely due to the lighting though and not a continuity error

When he cuts the lenses from the sunglasses, they definately appear gold and not black

I do think it looks cooler when silvery/black in appearance

Just got back from the film and Hot Toys simply have to sort out the eyes on this figure, at no point during the film do the lense even reflect an orange glow, If nothing else the lenses need to be made black (with blue lining obviously)

In terms of extra accessories a back pack would be nice but not giving us a spare mask would just be tight so I hope that's corrected as well.

I'd give the film and 8/10. Mostly good, last quarter weren't great though IMO

Agreed, the thing that I liked the most about the new spiderman suit was the chrome like eyes and the spider symbol. The eyes in this figure kinda looks too plain to me.

Yes, that has become more of an annoyance of late. That definitely needs to be addressed also.

It's not so much a case of wanting greater accuracy (which we all do); it's just that the shape looks awkward.

Yes it does. It just looks wrong basically.

I also hope they address the arch on the back of the suit around the shoulders. Right now the shape is totally incorrect.

All in all the figure is immense but some little attention to details is letting it down.

His lenses in the movie have an orangish tint, but they are reflective...like Oakly Iridium lenses..the figure just has Orange lenses..like straight up ski goggles like these:

160-thumb-550-450.jpg

and should be like these:

index.php

Back