Hot Toys - MMS149 - Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street: Sweeney Todd

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, I hope not. Raising prices has the potential to hurt the 1/6 hobby. I've seen it happen over the years with collectible lines like Simpsons, Star Trek, and to a certain extent, everything Gentle Giant produces (remember busts numbered in the 10,000s? The numbers are now down to 2,000 or less). The figure prices raise, too many variations out there to collect, too much merchandise available in one year, etc. are all bad things, IMO. Even Star Wars has taken a hit in the small figure world, it seems (the "vintage" collection - at $8.99 a pop - is hanging on the shelves everywhere). If Hot Toys could keep the quality up but the prices down, I think it would mean longevity for these lines. There's always an exception like the DX series and all the extra (and sometimes big) stuff they come with, but I'm talking "regular" figures here. The $150 mark is already pushing it for many collectors. The more people are priced out of the hobby, the less product companies will sell. So... if they can't sell their minimums, production has to scale back, extra or un-sold merchandise has to be liquidated, and eventually, things die because of lack of support from collectors. It's happened so many times in the collectible toy world - companies get overzealous on pricing because their product is hot, but the fire burns out quicker than expected when they alter the structure that gave them success in the first place.

:goodpost:
I said something similar a few pages back although it probably belonged in the "Will HT ever lose their value thread". Back when these things were $150 a lot of collectors including Michael Crawford had a hard time justifying that price point on most of the figures being released. I personally feel that NOW, the figure's justify that price but HT goes and up's the prices again. Not sure how long I will be able to keep up.:(

Few new (I think?) pics courtesy of Hot Toys Community over on Facebook:

224257_162229983839000_138228759572456_398437_2945454_n.jpg

222597_162229970505668_138228759572456_398436_4551743_n.jpg

This could very well become my first Hot Toys figure.

Which place would be the best to purchase him from living in Central Europe?

I see you're in Vienna. Gorgeous city. I was just there 4 months ago, and judging by the comic shops in your city and their ridiculously high prices, I'd stay away away from them on high-end items like this. Some online companies will ship overseas, but you might have duty if they must declare full value. For slightly better luck you could try eBay, believe it or not. If you get a decent price there, the seller might be willing to mark the parcel as "gift" and declare a lower value - just be sure to clear this with the seller in advance. If you can get the shipping cheap enough (not sure if that's possible though because of the inevitable weight of this thing), it might save you a bunch of money in the long run. I love Europe, but it would be hard for me to live there and collect this sort of stuff with the prices they charge in your local stores.

Love the face, it's impressive. But it seems quite peacefull to me, should be more angry. He is always frowned, bitter. Like this, or even more.
064depp_468x585.jpg

But still, very impressive. A must-buy. Hope it means Edward has a chance for an improvement :D?

Love the face, it's impressive. But it seems quite peacefull to me, should be more angry. He is always frowned, bitter. Like this, or even more.
064depp_468x585.jpg

But still, very impressive. A must-buy. Hope it means Edward has a chance for an improvement :D?

Idk, I really like the sculpt they have on him. I think it really captures his sadness and despair quite well, as well as he looks to be thinking and brooding, which I think seemed more apparent in the film rather than just anger

but yes, I agree that its a very impressive sculpt and I too hope that Edward gets a revamp!

whats that strap over his shoulder? the figure should have that too

Ouch, I dunno. I think it's a like bag he uses outside the barber's shop, i'll have to check.

Idk, I really like the sculpt they have on him. I think it really captures his sadness and despair quite well, as well as he looks to be thinking and brooding, which I think seemed more apparent in the film rather than just anger

but yes, I agree that its a very impressive sculpt and I too hope that Edward gets a revamp!

Yes, there you have a point. I agree about the sadness. It is still too peaceful to me, maybe the expression of the mouth too soft? I don't know, i'm horribly perfectionist. But i still LOVE the sculpture, is very difficult to capture the escence of Sweeney, too much revenge and sadness at the same time. They've pulled this one beautifully . I can't wait to have it.

Last edited:
whats that strap over his shoulder? the figure should have that too

Ouch, I dunno. I think it's a like bag he uses outside the barber's shop, i'll have to check.

Isn't that the bag he has with him the first time he leaves the ship and walks into London again?
I think that's the only time he carries it... Not quite sure though :dunno

I can't wait for this figure. The only annoying thing for me is that it's another Q3 figure. Man that's gonna be an expensive quarter for us Hot Toys collectors.

I can't wait for this figure. The only annoying thing for me is that it's another Q3 figure. Man that's gonna be an expensive quarter for us Hot Toys collectors.

Yeah. Im paying off all of them before hand so Im not hit with a load come time. I worked out a deal with AlterEgo so I can pay them off a month at a time before they get released. Really nice guy, Josh over there.

Back