Hot Toys - MMS143 - Spider-Man 3 official specs and pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know if you're not a premium member you can't sell here, but I have one I'm looking to get rid of (I upgraded to the ASM2 figure). Now, before the mods jump on me, there's one big thing.

It's free. Yes, it's totally free. But there's some caveats/hopes (6 & 7).

1. Both ankles are broken. Yes, a common problem. It's as is.

2. No concrete building corner base thingy, I'm keeping that.

3. No brown shipper.

4. You pay shipping. I'm in Australia, so it may not be cheap o/s. It is free, but I'm not willing to go out of pocket on it. Aussies get preference.

5. No brown shipper. It comes wrapped in... what I haven't figured out yet. Probably bubble wrap. I don't think I have a box that will fit it.

6. No flippers please. I'm happy if you want it, but if you're trying to make a quick $50 or $100, meh. Obviously, I can't police this, but if you'd like one, and is willing to give it a good home, and not try and flip a profit like a desperate, that'd be good.

7. If you really think it's something you'd like, and I send it to you, and you do like it, I think it would be awesome if you donated $50 to a cancer charity from appreciation. It's an absolute bastard of a disease, and most families get touched by it one way or another. I can't police that either of course, that's between you and your conscience.

PM me if you're happy with the above caveats. I don't need it, or want it. If someone else will enjoy it, or hell, if someone's kid will enjoy playing with it, that would make me happy. It is busted, so if someones kid gets to play with Spidey and thinks it's awesome anyways, I'd get a real kick out of that.

I'll give any Aussies 48 hours to reply as preference, after that it's open slather.

I hope this doesn't break the rules.

Got the figure and what do you know...? The ankles are broken. In fact it's like there are no ankle pegs at all, the feet feel like they're attached by tiny pieces of jell-o. It would have been nice of the seller to mention that, right?

Aw man that's a shame. I had the same thing with mine when I bought it on eBay a few years ago although only the right ankle was broken. So I now have to use my dynamic stand for all of the posing for him, which isn't terrible but there is just something about having a character that should be able to contort into almost any pose like an acrobat and the figure representation can't achieve standing straight up lol.

Well I hope you can put him to good use. Below is a picture of how I have mine posed at the moment. Nothing too crazy I always try to do something easy on the fabric so it doesn't get stretched out. But he still looks great I think. Grew up with Tobey Spider-Man and will always be it for me.

IMG_3743.JPG

I'm going to suspend him from a pair of shelves, but I'd still like the ability to pose the feet. Trying to decide whether I try to fix the ankles - but leaning to leaving it as-is for now until a time where I have more patience and a lot less on my plate.

I would contact the seller and let him know it's broken. Especially if you got it from eBay. They have to list any faults with the product. You can ask for a partial refund as a discount or a full refund and send it back.

I got it from someone on FB who says they didn't know the ankles were broken. The price was below retail.

The ankles themselves I'm sure I can easily fix, it's the removing and replacing the fabric around the foot/leg that worries me.

That sucks. It's really not that hard. I've seen your work and this will be more of a pain in the a$$ than difficult for you. I've got some pics that show some of what I had to do to get it fixed on a fellow freaks. I'll try to dig them up.

Didn't have as many pics as I thought. It's tough but you can pop the foot from the boot down. You just have to wiggle and pull at the same time.

Once that's off you can remove the foot pad (sole) and peel the cloth back off the boot. It's rubber underneath and cause for most of the issues. Besides the weak plastic they used.

In these pics it shows the boot fabric on the table and the sole. Also I had to peel the rubber boot off the calf area to get at the ankle. You can probably peel it off the foot which is closer but I ended up peeling the hole thing off with difficulty. The rubber did not want to come off and ripped a bit in several places. As you will be glueing this piece back on the calf or foot it doesn't matter much but try to boil it first. I didn't realize at the time that the boot could separate.

This one was cracked. The pieces were still there but it was really difficult to glue it back together without popping the pieces apart again. I would suggest a really good glue and letting it sit overnight. Then try to pop the ankle peg back in. Hopefully it's strong enough to not separate.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441299199.041280.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441299214.831812.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441299229.588996.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441299254.418322.jpg

Jedijim, impressive tutorials... not for the faint of heart!

Mr. Walker you did a great job... making the hobby an experience, also by sharing.

Here, I still have not had time to try new poses with Spidey... soon! :impatient:

JJ, didn't you post some other photos in the past? I just saw some in this thread and knew I should have bookmarked. Those other photos showed the enter lower leg section removed from the figure, but the black rubber rolled UP onto the calf. Red part of the boot removed like in your recent photos. I'm not sure why it would be necessary to do both as in those other photos.

What would you say the difficulty is of rolling the red fabric and black rubber up onto the calf to reveal the foot and ankle alone? Is that possible?

I'm still not sure why HT didn't make these ankles exactly the same way they do for almost all their other figures.

JJ, didn't you post some other photos in the past? I just saw some in this thread and knew I should have bookmarked. Those other photos showed the enter lower leg section removed from the figure, but the black rubber rolled UP onto the calf. Red part of the boot removed like in your recent photos. I'm not sure why it would be necessary to do both as in those other photos.

What would you say the difficulty is of rolling the red fabric and black rubber up onto the calf to reveal the foot and ankle alone? Is that possible?

I'm still not sure why HT didn't make these ankles exactly the same way they do for almost all their other figures.

I'm sure I did. For some reason I don't have access to those or didn't store them in my photobucket. I'll try to go searching through the thread and see if I can dig them up that way.

It is possible to roll both the fabric and rubber from the foot onto the calf but it seems to be glued down a lot better on the foot than the calf.

If you can imagine that the rubber is only spot glued to the upper calf but almost completely glued onto the foot. More of a pain to remove it that way but like I was saying I didn't boil it cause I didn't know I could remove the whole boot.

That's what I would do if I could do it over again.
1. Remove the whole boot from the leg at the calf.
2. Pop off the foot pad and the fabric from the boot.
3. Boil the rubber to peel it off the foot to reveal the ankle
4. Repair ankle
5. Glue rubber boot back in place onto foot.
6. Tack glue the boot fabric in place on the inside of the calf and inside of foot.
7. Pop sole back on.
8. Pop whole boot back on.

I was pretty disappointed at this design as well. Especially seeing how brittle they were.

Thanks for the tips JJ, I'm going to file them away for later when i have to time/patience to work on this. :)

IMG_235401.jpg

Did you put a clear rubber band around the neck to keep the fabric tight? Great idea.

Did you put a clear rubber band around the neck to keep the fabric tight? Great idea.

No, that's just the doubled-up loop of monofilament that's helping to hold him up in that pose. The left ankle is also supported to the hook above and the web tied down to the top on the cabinet.

I may replace the monofilament loop with a piece of grey wire wrapped in plastic from a Hasbro box - it would be more "blunt" and hopefully still be almost invisible.

Back