Hot Toys - MMS - Wolverine (in X-MEN suit)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe collecting HT isn't the right hobby for you...

I LOVE HT, however at $200+ a figure, HT created this monster. I believe that Hot Toys has long since reached the market pricing ceiling, yet continues to increase their prices. Why? Because people (like you) continue to buy or support these figures (despite the obvious problems). Thus, leading to the "warranted" backlash from "knowledgeable" consumers when a product is not 100% "dead on". I've personally spent over $10,000 (not including current preorders, which currently amount to another $3000) on HT, since the 2008 release of The Dark Knight. Then they release a sculpt like the Avengers Thor? Really??? (which has since been corrected). I thank God for the people on SF, that have more time then myself, to create these Photoshopped images, showing what a figure should look like!!! I do believe that it's communities like SF keeping HT in line!

Attacking SF members is not the answer!!!

No, I'm pretty sure collecting HT figures is the right hobby for me...

I think you have a funny sense of entitlement. Let's entertain the idea that you have bought as much HT stuff as you say you have. What does that really amount to? It shows that you've been fine with the pricing for the last four years - and in those four years, the pricing has gone up. Seems like you might have just reached your price limit and there's no shame in that. I don't buy every HT figure they make and at the same time I don't expect HT to remake, resculpt, or otherwise rework a figure just because I think it doesn't look right; especially when there's probably other people who think it looks fine. It sounds like you're saying "I've given HT alot of money, they should listen to me!" Good luck with that.

Really looking forward to this one. Can't wait to see some specs for Wolvie and Charles! C'mon, Hot Toys! What's taking so long?!? :impatient:

No, I'm pretty sure collecting HT figures is the right hobby for me...

I think you have a funny sense of entitlement. Let's entertain the idea that you have bought as much HT stuff as you say you have. What does that really amount to? It shows that you've been fine with the pricing for the last four years - and in those four years, the pricing has gone up. Seems like you might have just reached your price limit and there's no shame in that. I don't buy every HT figure they make and at the same time I don't expect HT to remake, resculpt, or otherwise rework a figure just because I think it doesn't look right; especially when there's probably other people who think it looks fine. It sounds like you're saying "I've given HT alot of money, they should listen to me!" Good luck with that.

Actually Red Metal, that simply is not correct.

Hot Toys owes me nothing. I may or may not have more disposable income than some collectors, but that doesn't mean that I'm willing to let HT off the hook. I have, in fact spent a great deal of money on HT in the last four years, amongst other collectibles since 2002. However, I "try" to help keep HT on a much shorter leash because of their seemingly "blatant" disregard for quality, in terms with their pricing. If HT continues to produce less than 100% accurate sculpts and we continue to support them, by paying the premium prices, then that's simply what we're going to get. These issues must remain "hand in hand". Do you really realize how much the "likeness" rights add to the cost of a figure? If we don't care about likenesses, then why don't we just buy all of our collectibles at Wal-Mart? Concerning the Wolverine figure in question, though an AWESOME Wolverine figure, it clearly looks nothing like Hugh. I have yet to read a post as to how GREAT this likeness is. I appreciate you seemingly speaking with your wallet, but I truly hope that SF members "beat this issue to death" until the figure is released. Hopefully, we will see a accurate revision just as we did with the Avengers Thor. Other than the sculpt, I love this figure. I would LOVE to have a reason to pull the "Add to Cart" trigger! I mean no disrespect, and if you like this sculpt, then by all means argue the point.

In my very HUMBLE opinion, if we continue to support these "inferior" figures at these prices, then this it what we can expect to get. Again, I work a lot and thank God for the people on these forums that have more time than myself to help correct these problems. It helps to ensure our toys keep showing up in the mailbox looking pretty!

I'm just trying to help.

Sincerely

Hot Toys owes me nothing. I may or may not have more disposable income than some collectors, but that doesn't mean that I'm willing to let HT off the hook. I have, in fact spent a great deal of money on HT in the last four years, amongst other collectibles since 2002. However, I "try" to help keep HT on a much shorter leash because of their seemingly "blatant" disregard for quality, in terms with their pricing. If HT continues to produce less than 100% accurate sculpts and we continue to support them, by paying the premium prices, then that's simply what we're going to get. These issues must remain "hand in hand". Do you really realize how much the "likeness" rights add to the cost of a figure? If we don't care about likenesses, then why don't we just buy all of our collectibles at Wal-Mart? Concerning the Wolverine figure in question, though an AWESOME Wolverine figure, it clearly looks nothing like Hugh. I have yet to read a post as to how GREAT this likeness is. I appreciate you seemingly speaking with your wallet, but I truly hope that SF members "beat this issue to death" until the figure is released. Hopefully, we will see a accurate revision just as we did with the Avengers Thor. Other than the sculpt, I love this figure. I would LOVE to have a reason to pull the "Add to Cart" trigger! I mean no disrespect, and if you like this sculpt, then by all means argue the point.

In my very HUMBLE opinion, if we continue to support these "inferior" figures at these prices, then this it what we can expect to get. Again, I work a lot and thank God for the people on these forums that have more time than myself to help correct these problems. It helps to ensure our toys keep showing up in the mailbox looking pretty!

I'm just trying to help.

Sincerely

post_image-hugh_thumbs_up.jpg

I have to respectfully agree. It's not only the craftsmanship that makes HT more costly than your typical plastic figure, but also the likeness to a great extent.

I'm just trying to help.

Sincerely

Actually, has it ever occured to some that the 'whining' of individuals unhappy with a product may actually be of benefit to a company like HT? Consider: in a time of global recession, when consumers face more limited resources and are forced to be more selective in their purchases, sales of frivolous items like adult-oriented collectible action figures, may be negatively impacted. Without feedback from their customer base, a company like Hot Toys is operating in a vaccuum of information when trying to determine why some items didn't sell well. Is the license not as popular as they believed? Where there QC issues with materials? Did aspects of the product not live up to customer expectation? Should they be trying a different marketing approach? etc. etc. When they have to guess at the answers, they might come to the wrong conclusions, which could cost them future sales, r&d in the wrong direction, money on ineffective advertising, and so for. In other words, it could lose them money. Forums like this can be an invaluable resource to a comapny like Hot Toys, because they are like the best focus groups in the world, comprised of members of their actual customer base - and all Hot Toys has to do is silently stalk the groups, gleaning data. That's how good capitalists should strive to operate.

So all that '_____ing and moaning' from some members that the rest of us roll our eyes at (myself included, sometimes) can actually be a useful thing, so long as the criticisms are constructive and realsitic. Especially when the prices of these things are rising so sharply.

I typically agree about HS but I am a huge Wolverine / Jackman fan therefore, I will buy this as is. I have the first attempt which doesn't resemble Jackman either and it is the staple of my collection. That said, if it wasn't Wolverine and the sculpt was lacking, I'd pass. Pretty simple..

I have to respectfully agree. It's not only the craftsmanship that makes HT more costly than your typical plastic figure, but also the likeness to a great extent.

Nice to see some people get it! It is about the quality of the sculpt and accuracy to the likeness of the "Actor" that make HT worth the amount of money they are charging for these figures.:clap

Actually, has it ever occured to some that the 'whining' of individuals unhappy with a product may actually be of benefit to a company like HT? Consider: in a time of global recession, when consumers face more limited resources and are forced to be more selective in their purchases, sales of frivolous items like adult-oriented collectible action figures, may be negatively impacted. Without feedback from their customer base, a company like Hot Toys is operating in a vaccuum of information when trying to determine why some items didn't sell well. Is the license not as popular as they believed? Where there QC issues with materials? Did aspects of the product not live up to customer expectation? Should they be trying a different marketing approach? etc. etc. When they have to guess at the answers, they might come to the wrong conclusions, which could cost them future sales, r&d in the wrong direction, money on ineffective advertising, and so for. In other words, it could lose them money. Forums like this can be an invaluable resource to a comapny like Hot Toys, because they are like the best focus groups in the world, comprised of members of their actual customer base - and all Hot Toys has to do is silently stalk the groups, gleaning data. That's how good capitalists should strive to operate.

So all that '_____ing and moaning' from some members that the rest of us roll our eyes at (myself included, sometimes) can actually be a useful thing, so long as the criticisms are constructive and realsitic. Especially when the prices of these things are rising so sharply.

Well said Sir!:clap You're so right...any company worth their salt would be smart to monitor these forums to find out what their customer base really wants.:yess:

Why does what one person buys or likes matter to ANYONE else? Buy want you want and like what you like. I wish people would just stop elevating differences of opinion to YOUR WRONG AND I'M RIGHT arguements.

Hell, I'm glad they are making ANY wolverine. So I'm with Darkseed. I'm getting this period! And if others think me being satisfied with a medicore HS, SO WHAT! I'll spend my money the way I want to. You can do the same. People should stop thinking their OPINION is fact or the final word.

Why does what one person buys or likes matter to ANYONE else? Buy want you want and like what you like. I wish people would just stop elevating differences of opinion to YOUR WRONG AND I'M RIGHT arguements.

Hell, I'm glad they are making ANY wolverine. So I'm with Darkseed. I'm getting this period! And if others think me being satisfied with a medicore HS, SO WHAT! I'll spend my money the way I want to. You can do the same. People should stop thinking their OPINION is fact or the final word.

:exactly: No one really cares about others opinions anyway and it is rather egotistical to think otherwise.

Great post mikericm!

I will be getting this if at all possible. It is a great headsculpt, whether it looks like Hugh or not.

Well said Sir!:clap You're so right...any company worth their salt would be smart to monitor these forums to find out what their customer base really wants.:yess:

Why, so they can listen to the rants of about 50-100 fanboys who overly bash and overly critical of everything?

Seriously, it's not like we're the only people that buy HT figures. The recent IM Mk6 had an ES of 3K - do you think all 3K of those people post here? There might have been 200 people posting in that thread for it, not enough to even warrant a second glance.

People keep foolishly thinking that if we "the fanbase" disappeared that HT would go under. I guarantee you that if everyone who posts on this board stopped buying HT figures, then HT would still be in business just fine.

Why, so they can listen to the rants of about 50-100 fanboys who overly bash and overly critical of everything?

Seriously, it's not like we're the only people that buy HT figures. The recent IM Mk6 had an ES of 3K - do you think all 3K of those people post here? There might have been 200 people posting in that thread for it, not enough to even warrant a second glance.

People keep foolishly thinking that if we "the fanbase" disappeared that HT would go under. I guarantee you that if everyone who posts on this board stopped buying HT figures, then HT would still be in business just fine.[/QUOTE]

:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:
:exactly::exactly::exactly::exactly::exactly:

I bet the number of SF members that buy HT make up less than 5% of their business.

People keep foolishly thinking that if we "the fanbase" disappeared that HT would go under. I guarantee you that if everyone who posts on this board stopped buying HT figures, then HT would still be in business just fine.

I think you're seriously selling the "HT fan base" short if you think their opinions don't matter to Hot Toys themselves.

To use another example...at one time Hollywood HATED the internet because of the negative impact it could have on their yet "unreleased" movies. But since then, Hollywood has gotten smart and realized that the internet is a great resource for monitoring their audience and figuring out what the fans(and general audiences)want.
Does anyone remember the THUNDEROUS cry..."Christian Bale DAMMIT" for Batman? And look how that turned out...they listened to the fans and cast Bale as BATMAN!:wink1:

Why does what one person buys or likes matter to ANYONE else?

Oh, the answer to that is very simple...if you're willing to settle for less(less quality, poor head sculpts), then that is exactly what you'll get...LESS!:duh And so will the rest of us...thus making the hobby a lot less fun.

Oh, the answer to that is very simple...if you're willing to settle for less(less quality, poor head sculpts), then that is exactly what you'll get...LESS!:duh And so will the rest of us...thus making the hobby a lot less fun.

But YOU are the one that thinks I am settling. And your opinion doesn't matter to me.

And my whole point in this is that a head sculpts likeness to the actor is subjective. AN OPINION. Eye of the beholder. If YOU think a HS doesn't look like the actor and I do, that doesn't make it lower quality.

ITS YOUR OPINION OR MINE!

Back