1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - The Phantom Menace - Qui-Gon Jinn

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long do hot toys usually take to start sending these orders out once Asia start sending anyone?

As far as YT money, D-Amazing said I think he makes like $8-900 in his biggest months. Nice but not exactly paying the bills for as much time as these guys put into it.

No but he has a full time job. So as far as just paying for figures it does the job.

If you're only buying HT 1/6 figures $1000 a month would cover most months releases on average I'd say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No but he has a full time job. So as far as just paying for figures it does the job.

If you're only buying HT 1/6 figures $1000 a month would cover most months releases on average I'd say.

You're not going to make $1000 reviewing a single HT figure a month on Youtube. And D-Amazing and Justin are probably some of the biggest ones out there. They may be covering the figure cost, but I would wager most aren't. And you're not factoring in the time it takes to record and edit the videos. D-Amazing take a ton of pics that take way longer for him to create than the videos I bet.

I just looked and frankly I am surprised how huge Justin's page is, not just for him, but I'm surprised there's that many 1/6 collectors that watch those reviews. His Youngrich Toys Miles review is his most popular, has 1.4 million views, he's probably making a couple grand at those numbers, I really didn't look his up before. But either way it's few and far between in the toy world to make money at basically anything from running sites to podcasts to YouTube. At best you're making toy money but "working" tons and tons of hours to get it like any other job.

Views and AdSense marketing. YT figure reviewers are not making much. At the top end a grand or two a month would be a winfall getting 10,000 views a day. They can do more damage with the tax shelter it creates if the reviewers are smart about it.

Can confirm. Been doing it consistently for 7 years and host three podcasts. I have a few people who tune in regularly and have had a few videos go viral, but by and large, you do it because you enjoy doing it, and if you're lucky, you make a bit of cash along the way and make a connection or two with some of the companies making product.

You're not going to make $1000 reviewing a single HT figure a month on Youtube. And D-Amazing and Justin are probably some of the biggest ones out there. They may be covering the figure cost, but I would wager most aren't. And you're not factoring in the time it takes to record and edit the videos. D-Amazing take a ton of pics that take way longer for him to create than the videos I bet.

I just looked and frankly I am surprised how huge Justin's page is, not just for him, but I'm surprised there's that many 1/6 collectors that watch those reviews. His Youngrich Toys Miles review is his most popular, has 1.4 million views, he's probably making a couple grand at those numbers, I really didn't look his up before. But either way it's few and far between in the toy world to make money at basically anything from running sites to podcasts to YouTube. At best you're making toy money but "working" tons and tons of hours to get it like any other job.

I was talking specifically about Justin here. Does he only do one review a month ?

No he doesn't. Therefore it's a fair assumption that on average he'd earn about 1000 a month. Roughly covering the cost of a figure.

Sure you've got to work to get paid for something. That's how the world works. These people love the hobby and probably the mini YouTube fame they might achieve. So id hardly count the "work" as a factor.

IMG_7755.jpg

IMG_7760.jpg

The poncho looks great on him. That may be a underrated pose.

I may keep the poncho on him; think it will be a good contrast against the SSC Obi-Wan. From pics this looks like a great fig; not flashy but lots of nice small details.

I?m a little sad. If there was a figure to purchase in 2020 it was this. I think this is a great piece and it turned out well. I?m just not ?head over heels? for it.
My last HT purchase was late 2019 with Dooku and Maul and as a collector you always have a itch for your next purchase. My itch is still there but unfortunately there hasn?t been a preorder/release where I can say ?take my money please I Neeeeed this figure in my collection? (I didn?t pull the trigger with Wicket, Deluxe R2, ESB Yoda, Hoth Leia and a handful of others) Examples of take my money please figures are BD Robocop, DX BD T-800, DX Jack Sparrow, Blitzway Ghostbusters. It?s been so long since there has been a figure of that caliber. It?s also sad knowing that this figure may be the last in this price point as you look towards ESB bare bone Lando going for about $15 more? Is $250 are new marker for bare bones?

Funny thing is if you ask me ?Well Bo what the hell do you want then?? I guess I would say Street Cloth Rocky, DX Penguin and Slime Blower Winston. I guess theres not much left for me to spend $400+ Canadian on.

Any of you guys (maybe the 10+ year HT collectors) feel that way? Not the young bloods I know your bleeding for more (and that?s a great feeling)

I?m a little sad. If there was a figure to purchase in 2020 it was this. I think this is a great piece and it turned out well. I?m just not ?head over heels? for it.
My last HT purchase was late 2019 with Dooku and Maul and as a collector you always have a itch for your next purchase. My itch is still there but unfortunately there hasn?t been a preorder/release where I can say ?take my money please I Neeeeed this figure in my collection? (I didn?t pull the trigger with Wicket, Deluxe R2, ESB Yoda, Hoth Leia and a handful of others) Examples of take my money please figures are BD Robocop, DX BD T-800, DX Jack Sparrow, Blitzway Ghostbusters. It?s been so long since there has been a figure of that caliber. It?s also sad knowing that this figure may be the last in this price point as you look towards ESB bare bone Lando going for about $15 more? Is $250 are new marker for bare bones?

Funny thing is if you ask me ?Well Bo what the hell do you want then?? I guess I would say Street Cloth Rocky, DX Penguin and Slime Blower Winston. I guess theres not much left for me to spend $400+ Canadian on.

Any of you guys (maybe the 10+ year HT collectors) feel that way? Not the young bloods I know your bleeding for more (and that?s a great feeling)

giphy.gif

Geez man time to "man up" and stop whining about the $400CAD !

Get smart and order from Asia. ToysBuyingAgent or one of them. It's the only way to get these figures as cheap as possible.

Take Lando. €1670HKD with 50HKD code off. = $287 CAD shipped !!

Yes, you'll have to pre-order.

Your exchange rate has even recovered almost to previous 2019 levels.

Screenshot 2020-09-24 at 21.23.12.jpg

giphy.gif

Geez man time to "man up" and stop whining about the $400CAD !

Get smart and order from Asia. ToysBuyingAgent or one of them. It's the only way to get these figures as cheap as possible.

Take Lando. €1670HKD with 50HKD code off. = $287 CAD shipped !!

Yes, you'll have to pre-order.

Your exchange rate has even recovered almost to previous 2019 levels.

View attachment 496029

But those precious Sideshow reward points that require you to buy 20 figures before you can even afford one!

I see exactly where you're coming from, but it doesn't make me sad.

I've been collecting 1:6 (including HT) since 2007. For the past couple of years, I've been averaging around 2-3 figures per year. My last 1:6 was DX Maul last year. I did get 1:4 Vader early this year, though I haven't had him displayed fully yet (since I moved shortly after receiving him and haven't built my new display yet).
There's no particular 1:6 figure either released or on pre-order that I'm looking forward to. But I'm fine with that, since I turned more strongly to customizing the figures I have. In the end, I don't want to have a huge crowded collection of figures, and instead prefer to really display the figures I have more prominently (1-2 figures per Detolf shelf essentially).

Looking back over my history of collecting, which effectively started in early childhood since I never not bought and collected toys in my 33 years of life, I'm essentially rebuying the same characters over and over again: Batman, Terminator, Darth Vader, Darth Maul, TMNT etc. Different characters have come and gone over the years, but I always gravitate back towards the same. So I've essentially turned to trying to perfect the figures I own. Spending hours and hours on a single figure, researching what to do and then working on it always keeps the hobby fresh. And once you finish a figure, it's like a new figure all over again, which satisfies that itch you mention.

The rising cost of figures is not something I'm worried about actually. Since I buy so little, and I have the luxury to have enough disposable income not to have to worry about every Euro, I see the rising cost of 1:6 in relation to the advance in technology and quality. Comparing my custom HT Emperor to the Sideshow version back then, I'd say it's easily 2-3 times the quality (if you try to quantify the quality, subjective as that may be).

And regarding that itch to get new figures: this year I've turned to a couple of smaller scale figures that happened to hit hard in my nostalgia (movie TMNT and the Spawn kickstarter). :wink1: So there's always something to look forward to, even if small.

So in the end, I'm on pretty good terms with my collecting habit. Collecting as a hobby should be fun - my girlfriend calls it my happy place. If it brings you any annoyance or frustration (or even sadness), I would always recommend to re-evaulate some things. For example, I don't get annoyed by certain characters not being made or previewed figures not seeing the light of day. If they are released eventually - awesome. If not, oh well.

---
And to not be 100% off-topic here. Qui-Gon looks awesome. :lol If I were into buying more figures, I'd probably get him. I loved the first robed Hasbro Qui-Gon Jinn back then, and this throws me back. The Jedis (and Sith) were some of the best designs of the prequels, and this figure captures it really well.

Last edited:
Back