Hot Toys - DX16 / DX17 - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Needing some collector advice.

I ordered a DX-17 on Mercari for a decent price , it was missing a light up saber hand, but said everything else was included.

I get it , and it has some knock off droid and doesn’t have the foot pedals for his bike.

I’m kinda peeved.

What would y’all do?
open up a case on Mercari explaining the issues. Tell them that the item arrived not as described and that the only item said to be missing was the light up saber hand however, it is also missing the foot pedals for the speeder (don't say bike unless that's how it was stated in the item description) and missing the droid. Mericari is pretty easy to work with BUT you have to spell it out for them. Don't go in thinking they're going to have any idea what you're talking about. Make sure you upload pictures of what you received as well as what it missing. Use your photo app on your phone to mark up with arrows and circles to indicate specific parts etc. When it comes to these things, being thorough is always best when presenting your case.

open up a case on Mercari explaining the issues. Tell them that the item arrived not as described and that the only item said to be missing was the light up saber hand however, it is also missing the foot pedals for the speeder (don't say bike unless that's how it was stated in the item description) and missing the droid. Mericari is pretty easy to work with BUT you have to spell it out for them. Don't go in thinking they're going to have any idea what you're talking about. Make sure you upload pictures of what you received as well as what it missing. Use your photo app on your phone to mark up with arrows and circles to indicate specific parts etc. When it comes to these things, being thorough is always best when presenting your case.
Do I skip trying to resolve it with the seller first?

If they were willing to screw you initially, they probably won't be helpful to you. Just go straight to Mercari about the issue
They have the same exact figure for sale, for more, that has better pictures where you can see it has the proper accessories. So I know they must have know one of the sets wasn’t correct.

thanks for the help, a sad collecting day lol.

Do I skip trying to resolve it with the seller first?
I would. Simply b/c they purposely put that fake droid in there in the first place probably thinking "maybe they won't notice"

Similar thing happened to me on eBay last year with a Sideshow GI Joe. I bought Flint (white character) that was said to be brand new, yet all the hands he came with were from the Stalker figure (black character) which was obvious due to the color of the wrist pegs, plus he didn't come with all the patches either. Went straight to eBay and get a refund.

I would. Simply b/c they purposely put that fake droid in there in the first place probably thinking "maybe they won't notice"

Similar thing happened to me on eBay last year with a Sideshow GI Joe. I bought Flint (white character) that was said to be brand new, yet all the hands he came with were from the Stalker figure (black character) which was obvious due to the color of the wrist pegs, plus he didn't come with all the patches either. Went straight to eBay and get a refund.
damn, that sucks.

I’m glad you were able to get a refund

I guess I’ll go take some more pictures and file a report

This is what I got
https://merc.li/z5WkeZyab?sv=0
And this is his other, with better pictures

https://www.mercari.com/us/item/m30648285874/?sv=lg

Needing some collector advice.

I ordered a DX-17 on Mercari for a decent price , it was missing a light up saber hand, but said everything else was included.

I get it , and it has some knock off droid and doesn’t have the foot pedals for his bike.

I’m kinda peeved.

What would y’all do?
Did you already rate your seller? If not you can either negotiate a reduced price for the missing items or you can return it due to inaccuracies. Depends on what you feel is the best course to follow since it's your collection. Looks like the interrogation Droid is from Hasbro's Star Wars line.

Did you already rate your seller? If not you can either negotiate a reduced price for the missing items or you can return it due to inaccuracies. Depends on what you feel is the best course to follow since it's your collection. Looks like the interrogation Droid is from Hasbro's Star Wars line.
I didn’t rate them, I messaged then immediately on discovery, 14/15 hours ago, and then submitted a return, I haven’t heard back in either case yet.

I had considered just asking for a price reduction and using that to get the parts online. But Gipetto raised a good point, that this was probably done on purpose, and I suppose if they will so blatantly try to pass these “obvious” missing items from what they advertised, it’s safe to assume more might be wrong with it that I haven’t discovered and to just pony up the extra money for a new one after a refund unfortunately.

If they had listed it honestly, I might have still found it acceptable, and sent an offer before I bought. But I thought I was just gunna be missing a saber arm I wouldn’t use anyways. I really wanted the proper speeder , and the droid has a neat design

Just to play Devil's advocate, it seems odd to me that anyone selling a Hot Toys piece would firstly not know for sure what pieces are genuine, and what basic components are missing from the speeder bike. But if the seller possibly came upon the figure set through the estate of a father or other relative, or purchased it along these same or similar lines, the seller might just be trying to liquify some items of which he or she was never the actual owner.

In other words, if the seller is not a Hot Toys collector themselves, then they might be unaware of the defects and substitutions being unfamiliar with the piece. Not an excuse, of course... People are responsible for their own listings, and in this scenario should have done the research up front. But I'm gald you at least made contact with them first and at least gave them an opportunity to explain and remedy. The fact that they haven't responded yet may make all this "Benefit of the Doubt" stuff I'm selling moot, however! :mad: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Just to play Devil's advocate, it seems odd to me that anyone selling a Hot Toys piece would firstly know for sure what pieces are genuine, and what basic components are missing from the speeder bike. But if the seller possibly came upon the figure set through the estate of a father or other relative, or purchased it along these same or similar lines, the seller might just be trying to liquify some items of which he or she was never the actual owner.

In other words, if the seller is not a Hot Toys collector themselves, then they might be unaware of the defects and substitutions being unfamiliar with the piece. Not an excuse, of course... People are responsible for their own listings, and in this scenario should have done the research up front. But I'm gald you at least made contact with them first and at least gave them an opportunity to explain and remedy. The fact that they haven't responded yet may make all this "Benefit of the Doubt" stuff I'm selling moot, however! :mad: :ROFLMAO:
I do try to give the benefit of the doubt with this kinda thing.

But going back over it, he is selling two, and one has better pictures that show case all the parts. And then mine, looking at it with scammed eyes, shows everything, except, the spaces where my missing parts are. So it just feels very deliberate with further examination.

they have some other hot toys in their selling history, so seems to be some what knowledgeable.

I do try to give the benefit of the doubt with this kinda thing.

But going back over it, he is selling two, and one has better pictures that show case all the parts. And then mine, looking at it with scammed eyes, shows everything, except, the spaces where my missing parts are. So it just feels very deliberate with further examination.

they have some other hot toys in their selling history, so seems to be some what knowledgeable.

Fair! That being the case he/she certainly seems like a scammer who knew perfectly well what they were doing. Good luck!

Mercari has accepted my return request, and we are waiting for the still yet unresponsive seller, to confirm their mailing address. And told me to follow up in a day if there wasn’t progress.

They also warned me to get a receipt copy so they can verify the shipment in case there are any… issues.

So this is good news indeed.

And I ordered another maul from eBay roulette 😂

Only got round to opening my DX17 today and seems the double sided sober does not light up both side, is this common/any known fix?

What is a good price currently for this set? I might be able to procure a used one for $350 shipped. Is that a good price?

Last edited:
What is a good price currently for this set? I might be able to procure a used one for $350 shipped. Is that a good price?
I feel like that is a really good price, I see a lot on Marci usually going for north of $400

The figured arrived and its truly a deluxe with packaging and contents. So tempted to get another body since it has two heads for display. If anyone thinking of parting out their figure. I am interest in the body, let me know!

Back