1/6 Hot Toys MMS Jawas & Power droid

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had this bad boy years ago and Attakus used the rhinestones for the eyes back then (and it worked a treat) - but I would never have even thought twice about doing it on these guys - cracker idea Chronos!

Not too thrilled with this one. Seems rushed and not worth the price. First time cancelling a Hot Toys preorder.

Oh come on - just shell out the $270 and get your damn rhinestones.:lol

It took more than rhinestones to get my Jawa looking decent.:gah:

Oh come on - just shell out the $270 and get your damn rhinestones.:lol

It took more than rhinestones to get my Jawa looking decent.:gah:

An alternate base (thanks again Coco) works wonders as well. Those clamshell covers are laughable at best. I hope HT gets enough negative feedback for them that it discourages going that route again.

I was thinking the same thing! I bought red ones to put on my ultron for his eyes. Haven't gotten to it yet. Thanks for the link i too bought some for my jawas ;)

Sandcrawler interior inspired Gonk stand.

1B7D7B02-32EF-4391-AA3E-E67F9CA6A5BB.jpeg

41A52D71-E2D9-4DFA-B6D9-B9CC213AB4CE.jpg

Cheeto Jawa was a pain in the *** and a lot of work to get up to what I was wanting. It's a weak figure over all, so what I did was strip it back completely and rebuild/reassemble it with a number of Sideshow parts.

Body/head:

The head is crap (shiny, eyes are a fail, hood velcro is a total pain,) so I swapped it for a Sideshow head and also made the jawa a little taller - by maybe 1/4 to 1/2". Just felt too short to me.

The body is a vast improvement over the Sideshow, but is surprisingly visually pretty similar. Hands are junk - I swapped them for the Sideshow hands which are quite a bit better, though even those I don't love either.

I dumped the HT "furry arms" because they are just too fat and the arms feel a little too short and the thickness was making that read worse. I used the Sideshow "furry rings" - for better or for worse - but at least they make the arms thinner and allow the sleeves to flow a bit more.

Bandoliers:

I used the Sideshow bandoliers because the HT ones aren't bad, but they look pretty toy-like.

Robe:

The robe is nice, though wasn't as good as I had expected/hoped it to be. The hood especially is very billow-y, even with the wires on front and back. The robe needs to be fully removed (not easy - eg the hood has four tiny clips) and crushed up for folds because it's so flat and stiff. The oddly orange-ish color I can live with - I actually like it due to a vintage PC Jawa vibe.

The inner hood to me is a real problem, and it's there that I like the SSC version better - the HT hood has this "inflated black fabric balloon" vibe going on inside the hood where the black lining billows outward around the plastic head too much. It can be sort of tamed, but it's unfortunate it couldn't have sat flush against the brown outer fabric more.

Weapon:

I do like the HT weapon type, but I used the iconic ANH Jawa blaster SSC did (the HT weapon is more ROTJ)

This will be displayed with my custom gonk and Death Star Droid when they are done in a couple of weeks. I've popped him in next to R5D4 for now amidst the Tatooine cabinet. Keep in mind, the robe is a little more Cheeto colored than what the pics show (possibly closest to the flash pic on the left.)

Lights off (I LOVE the way the SSC eyes look when off - really nice.):

50117922342_65eedd7bfc_o.png

Lights on (I am contemplating putting some small rings of black tape on the eyes to make the lit-up parts more like pinpricks of light vs the larger eyes look.):

50117912067_2c336c9bcf_o.png

Display:

50117677116_ceaee5fac6_o.png

Looks good, Talibane. Sounds like a lot of work! It’s almost a 50/50 SS/HT Jawa now.

Thanks coco! Honestly, too much work.:lol I had thought about doing a second one like this but I'm just sticking to one for "hero" display and using the SSC ones for the herd and Jabba's palace.

FYI, the SSC and HT heads have very different ball joint sizes so it was very complex creating a joint that would bridge between the two and maintain articulation.

Honestly, I would call it almost a draw in terms of the SSC vs HT robes - both have pluses and minuses; hood seam vs Cheeto color, more correct color vs better texture. I give the edge to the HT obviously because of the texture (and I don't mind the PC Jawa color) but I really wish these were home-run robes that Ht created.

And yeah maybe about 50/50:

HT: body (head removed,) robe/hood
SSC: head, hands, bandoliers, weapon, "fur rings"

It is really, really unfortunate that HT couldn't have just nailed the Jawa face/eyes, robe and bandoliers and also done a two-pack. Yet all three of those departments had issues. So much for the "wait for HT" mantra.:lol

The much-touted robe to me was a bit of a letdown - a little stiffer and less drapey than I'd hoped, color as inaccurate as I'd feared, more issues with the hood than I had expected.

All that being said, it has a definite Kenner vibe and because of that I really like it overall, and quite different from my SSC Jawa herd which I like. This bash would be great to display with a "12 back" style line up.

Everyone: This Jawa is way overpriced

Tali (and I can't remember the name of the other user who did similar mods): Hold my beer while I add the cost of the SS Jawa set to make one single almost good hybrid of the two

Seriously, most expensive single Jawa you can have...

...and still be somewhat "meh" about it :lol

Hot Toys MMS Jawas & Power droid

Thanks coco! Honestly, too much work.:lol I had thought about doing a second one like this but I'm just sticking to one for "hero" display and using the SSC ones for the herd and Jabba's palace.

FYI, the SSC and HT heads have very different ball joint sizes so it was very complex creating a joint that would bridge between the two and maintain articulation.

Honestly, I would call it almost a draw in terms of the SSC vs HT robes - both have pluses and minuses; hood seam vs Cheeto color, more correct color vs better texture. I give the edge to the HT obviously because of the texture (and I don't mind the PC Jawa color) but I really wish these were home-run robes that Ht created.

And yeah maybe about 50/50:

HT: body (head removed,) robe/hood
SSC: head, hands, bandoliers, weapon, "fur rings"

It is really, really unfortunate that HT couldn't have just nailed the Jawa face/eyes, robe and bandoliers and also done a two-pack. Yet all three of those departments had issues. So much for the "wait for HT" mantra.:lol

The much-touted robe to me was a bit of a letdown - a little stiffer and less drapey than I'd hoped, color as inaccurate as I'd feared, more issues with the hood than I had expected.

All that being said, it has a definite Kenner vibe and because of that I really like it overall, and quite different from my SSC Jawa herd which I like. This bash would be great to display with a "12 back" style line up.

Very good review here... I actually came here again to see if I could get convinced to buy the set, but honestly, after your ?review?, I feel more inclined to buy yet another set of the SSC Jawas... a shame. When HT finally releases an alien figure it looks like they didn?t really try.
That said, your 50/50 SSC/HT Jawa looks great.

Back