1/6 Hot Toys MMS Jawas & Power droid

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I just pretty quickly unboxed this set because I don't have much time tonight. It really is a case of the good, bad, and the ugly.

Starting with the good, I really do like the Jawa robe. The texture of the fabric is spot on and the weathering is pretty good. I'm not don't mind the color either but i can definitely understand folks who prefer the darker brown Sideshow robes. The proper hood without a seam going right down the middle is a big improvement over the Sideshow. The solid joints of the body and ease of articulation is a breath of fresh air, it's just really nice to be able to pose the Jawa and not have pieces falling off or constantly falling over. The Gonk is lightweight but not quite as cheap feeling as I feared he might be and his leg articulation is excellent.

Now the bad. The bandoliers aren't awful but the Sideshow are indeed easily superior. The Blunderbuss gun is really cool looking at a glance but under close examination you realize the buttstock is way too clean and looks like cheap plastic because it is. The price of the set should allow for real wood to be used as DID does with its weapons, would look so much better. The hand and accessory selection is lacking too. Probably should have came with a second blaster like the Sideshow set. While I don't have a big issue with the Gonk's weight, the paintjob/weathering is too basic especially considering it's from a company like HT known for their high quality paint apps. The paint isn't in the ugly category but HT is capable better than this.

As for the ugly I will cut right to the chase. The light up eyes are absolutely inexcusable and the most aggravating part of the set. HT should be embarrassed to have packaged in those sand "bases". The plastic clamshell protecting them is literally higher quality, they belong in the trash. The price of the set is ridiculous.

Overall I like the Jawa better than I thought I would and I enjoy the Gonk for what it is but my expectations were not very high. I feel like some parts of this set were handed off to a lower grade factory. It would have been a great value if they added a second Jawa to the set, and even a decent value if the Gonk was removed in favor of two Jawas but unfortunately that isn't what we got.

I got mine today and I'm pretty happy with them. But I also knew to keep my expectations low, so that probably helped a bit.

Yeah, those cheap sand pieces look pathetic for a high end collectible. Not sure why Hot Toys even bothered including those. It seems like on some recent releases they’ve been cutting some corners. The Jaws itself to me looks good. Some nitpicks but overall I’d be happy to have it. I just think it would be better if was considerably lower in price. My hope is that this stays in stock long enough where Sideshow offers some sort of a discount, but again this may have not been produced in large numbers and could sell somewhat fast.

I smuggled this set into the house today and was all set to play with my toys tonight, as the wife had work things to do. Of course, the wife, sensing that I want to do something for myself, needs my full attention. Anyone have any aerosol Valium?

Did a quick unboxing. Honestly, if you forget that this set didn?t include lube with the price, it is really nice. I don?t light up my figures so the eyes are not an issue. The Jawa robe is nice and it is a much more solid figure than the ss. The color not matching the ss color is the worst part.
The gonk is a gonk. It is more of an accessory than figure. Looks good on the shelf even if it isn?t totally accurate. I bought a custom stand from coco so my ht set matches my ss set.
Still, completely overpriced but that is the story of this hobby.

Jawas arrived today! Not much to say that hasn’t already been covered. I love these little guys in person though I didn’t share the gripes that many seem to have. The included stands are very lame and stayed in the box, along with my poor 2nd Gonk. I hate light-up features so I bought some adhesive rhinestones on Amazon and attached them to the eyes. Easy solution and I’m very happy with the result.

A980BC68-9B1C-45FC-9B6C-DDDF3A2D0AE0.jpg

E618696B-7505-4618-A447-DD56F6B977A0.jpg

Brilliant! I love that rhinestone idea. Works great! I’m more and more tempted to get some HT JAWAS every time I see a good pic like these.

Jawas arrived today! Not much to say that hasn?t already been covered. I love these little guys in person though I didn?t share the gripes that many seem to have. The included stands are very lame and stayed in the box, along with my poor 2nd Gonk. I hate light-up features so I bought some adhesive rhinestones on Amazon and attached them to the eyes. Easy solution and I?m very happy with the result.

View attachment 489645

View attachment 489646

Excellent solution for the eyes! Would you mind linking the stones you bought?

Has anyone found this set for less than $270 all-in? Seems like toysbuyingagent (with coupon) is cheapest at roughly that mark. All-in Sideshow inches toward $300. It's been said ad-nauseum I know but to get a HT jawa (I'd assume 3/4 of people only really want a jawa) it's a remarkably expensive way to get one, even compared to HT's somewhat recent releases.

I guess it really comes down to whether you view the gonk as a true second figure or just a large accessory - so either a $200-220 Jawa with $70-80 accessory which is expensive, or two figures for $135-150 each which isn't bad at all.

Jawas arrived today! Not much to say that hasn’t already been covered. I love these little guys in person though I didn’t share the gripes that many seem to have. The included stands are very lame and stayed in the box, along with my poor 2nd Gonk. I hate light-up features so I bought some adhesive rhinestones on Amazon and attached them to the eyes. Easy solution and I’m very happy with the result.

View attachment 489645

View attachment 489646

These are probably the best pictures I have seen of this set, nice job. It bugs me more though seeing your pair and knowing it's incomplete as 1. Not doing a pair is very annoying. If they put the tall Jawa up, you know they're going to pair it with something and then you're at over $500 to get a set.

Jawas arrived today! Not much to say that hasn?t already been covered. I love these little guys in person though I didn?t share the gripes that many seem to have. The included stands are very lame and stayed in the box, along with my poor 2nd Gonk. I hate light-up features so I bought some adhesive rhinestones on Amazon and attached them to the eyes. Easy solution and I?m very happy with the result.

View attachment 489645

View attachment 489646

I love those eyes! They now resemble Sideshow's with the lights off.

Not as clumsy or random as black eyes; an elegant solution for a more civilized figure.

Edit:

It's reminded me that when I cleared out my mum's things I kept her craft and jewellery making supplies. Sure enough there are packs of these 'Adhesive Stones' ranging in size from 1mm to 5mm. Sideshow's look to be closer to 4mm

The nearest available colour is orange, and not too far off the colour of Sideshow's. At least it'll be better than the big black rodent eyes.

Isn't that a song: Like a rhinestone Jawa... duh-da, duh-da...

We've been down this road before. It was a very popular hit...

giphy.gif

:lol

I used the 2.5mm stones as Chronos suggested. The 4mm Sideshow-size looked a bit big on him.

I never leave batteries in figures, so here are the three Jawas au natural without batteries:

50092946216_944299a556_o.jpg

The 'adhesive stones' catch more light from the normal room lighting than Sideshow's lenses, so applying them to the Sideshow Jawas would make them glow more brightly. (These are the orange stones).

Back