1/6 Hot Toys MMS Jawas & Power droid

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be fair though, it's clear HT intended this release to be an ANH Jawa (even if it kinda coincided with Jawas appearing in Mando, which confused some about whether this was a Mando-linked release.)

Along with what Hando was saying, I like it as a general representation of a Jawa rather than scene/film specific- HT never said this is 'Bob, the one that blasts R2' There are too many of the little guys for me to just want a specific Jawa.
I'm also fine with the Gonk- it's a big galaxy- surely they come in multiple sizes.

Your modded HT Jawa looks brilliant, TaliBane.

Along with what Hando was saying, I like it as a general representation of a Jawa rather than scene/film specific- HT never said this is 'Bob, the one that blasts R2' There are too many of the little guys for me to just want a specific Jawa.
I'm also fine with the Gonk- it's a big galaxy- surely they come in multiple sizes.

Your modded HT Jawa looks brilliant, TaliBane.
Yeah there's even a four or maybe six legged gonk of the exact same style in Jabba's Palace in BOBF (which the performers inside may have dubbed the human centipede. :lol)

And thanks yeah the modded Jawa was a bit of a labor of love and looks quite real with the eyes lit up, but I was lazy when taking those pics.

One major drawback of both the HT and SSC was the placement of a recessed slide-switch on the back of the head to turn on the eyes - something like SSC's R2 or 3PO where you tapped the Jawa face to trigger the eyes, or even just a push-button on the back of the head (rather than slide switch you have to feel around to find) would have been a huge improvement.

To be fair though, it's clear HT intended this release to be an ANH Jawa (even if it kinda coincided with Jawas appearing in Mando, which confused some about whether this was a Mando-linked release.)

This is my heavily modded HT Jawa with SSC head, hands (I hated the HT hands on this) and partly SSC leather bandoliers/blaster (the HT bandoliers are nicely done, but the SSC ones look like much more realistic) with custom power droid. I also added about an inch in height to the Jawa.

I totally love the big HT Jawa blaster but it's only accurate to ROTJ (even if it dates back to the production of ANH) so it's with the SSC Jawas in my Jabba dio.

RqLxQHz.jpg
1dgfTFJ.jpg
Best of both worlds. That is a sweet looking jawa. Now if you can pair him with a similar shorter chubbier jawa that would be the perfect setup. They seem to wander around in pairs. I wish hot toys gave us 2 jawas. Would have been right for the price

Best of both worlds. That is a sweet looking jawa. Now if you can pair him with a similar shorter chubbier jawa that would be the perfect setup. They seem to wander around in pairs. I wish hot toys gave us 2 jawas. Would have been right for the price
Yeah they were supposed to do a second (somewhat different) Jawa - along with a HT R5D4. Luke Bespin came back from the dead, so I guess anything's possible.

But exactly - for the price there definitely should have been 2 Jawas. And I love gonks, but most people would have much preferred two Jawas over a Jawa and a gonk.

Those of you using the yellow rhinstones, do the eyes still light up behind them ok?
Just wondering if the rhinstones are clear enough to have the light come through.
Thanks!

I couldn't take my Jawa's weak eyes anymore... so I cracked his head open and went to work.

I put his head in a plastic clamp and squeezed until the sides split open, separated the two halves, removed the neck peg assembly, then I drilled out the holes directly behind the eyes wider, so two LEDs could fit inside (in the amber plastic, not too deep). Setting the LEDs in deeper brings them right behind the eyes, verses being set back too far. I clipped out the single weak LED, then soldered in two LEDs, one for each eye socket. It all runs off the stock 2 wires and 3 little batteries, so no changes there. I just soldered the second LED legs to the first LED legs, so I didn't have to run more wires. Then I bent the LEDs to fit into the new deeper sockets.

He has so much more presence now. Hot Toys is sleeping on the job a little bit, IMO.

Attachments

• IMG_2208.jpg
    IMG_2208.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2205.jpg
    IMG_2205.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I couldn't take my Jawa's weak eyes anymore... so I cracked his head open and went to work.

I put his head in a plastic clamp and squeezed until the sides split open, separated the two halves, removed the neck peg assembly, then I drilled out the holes directly behind the eyes wider, so two LEDs could fit inside (in the amber plastic, not too deep). Setting the LEDs in deeper brings them right behind the eyes, verses being set back too far. I clipped out the single weak LED, then soldered in two LEDs, one for each eye socket. It all runs off the stock 2 wires and 3 little batteries, so no changes there. I just soldered the second LED legs to the first LED legs, so I didn't have to run more wires. Then I bent the LEDs to fit into the new deeper sockets.

He has so much more presence now. Hot Toys is sleeping on the job a little bit, IMO.
Nice job!

I went with the rhinestone mod myself, but you are right, HT definitely slept on the job regarding the Jawa's eyes.

It’s a shame Hot Toys didn’t make the eyes like this and then sell them either individually or as another 2 pack with 2 Jawas. I bet more people would have bought more.
Totally agree.
The Gonk droid should have been sold by itself and the Jawa as a two pack.
There was no way to army build the Jawas.
Hopefully we will see this rereleased in the future with upgrades.

This is one of the only Hot Toys OT figure sets that I passed on but sort of wish I hadn’t. It was overpriced but I still would like to have it. More for Gonk, but I would have taken another Jawa.

This is one of the only Hot Toys OT figure sets that I passed on but sort of wish I hadn’t. It was overpriced but I still would like to have it. More for Gonk, but I would have taken another Jawa.

Same. This one didn't look great to me at release. Like they kinda phoned it in. There's some fairly easy mods to bring it up to snuff, but more than I was willing to do at the time.

Kinda wish I had picked it up though. Especially, for the Gonk since I love droids and they're about to make a pit droid and what not.

Just got the Rhinestones. HUGE improvement!
The SSC Jawas don't really need them the way the HT version does - the SSC eyes look decent with lights off. The light somehow catches the non-lit SSC eyes enough that you can see them (not as bright as rhinestones, but passable.)

It's funny that the SSC Jawas were pretty maligned in the day (mostly due to the V.1 bodies) yet in the end they were pretty good. I have my modded HT Jawa as the "hero display" Jawa but I'd say with some work on the robes (re-color, some paint to make the fabric weave more visible,) the SSC Jawas would likely look better.

How strong is the adhesive on the rhinestones?

Thanks for the recommendation, will order a set - I just took my Jawas out of storage to put in my temporary/overcrowded Star Wars display and was not pleased with how they look without the light up feature (same with C-3PO).

Both the HT and SSC Jawas have their Pros and Cons - my main complaint with the SSC are the crappy hands/pegs and body overall.

1707095926925.jpeg

Last edited:
Back