1/6 Hot Toys MMS Jawas & Power droid

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was just going to say this.

I always think the best source is to go back and check the movie. Strange, so many people here rely solely on google images instead of the actual source... or worse, they rely entirely on this site for reference.

Yeah I posted these pics a few days ago from the newest 4K transfer where the Jawas are in perhaps the most flat/even lighting (they are often in shadow, backlit etc,) though as I mentioned, screens vary and prints vary in terms of color reproduction - especially greens and browns - so there is some variation. I also brightened these pics slightly to show the color better so technically they appeared a touch darker than this.

1DqOmFm.jpg

I always think the best source is to go back and check the movie. Strange, so many people here rely solely on google images instead of the actual source... or worse, they rely entirely on this site for reference.

Some of those Google images are pictures from the movie. It's easier for me to do a Google image search at work than to re-watch the film. Like TurdFurguson posted, some of those images don't appear to be washed out and the outfit looks more orange-ish brown than dark brown. Lighting in the films also plays a major role. Just because they look darker in a scene doesn't mean they necessarily are.

Know what would be effing great? The Sideshow Jawas on the HT body with no hood seam and the HT fabric pattern. I think all complaints would then be mute.

Do you think the lighter colored Jawa photo is washed out though? Some stuff on screen isn't true to color either, I don't think anyone wants another discussion about Han's jacket...
c1630f1e9203e0cff4766bbb351536b4.jpg
230709124caf1d8b60e44ffb05e81eb5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Yeah that one I noticed is a problematic one long ago (back when they were doing a Jawa custom robe in the customs section) - I have five versions of that pic in my ref file (there are two variant pics that are almost the same) and each one is quite different. This is your version next to one of the ones I have, both unaltered. You see this with a lot of pics from the era.

UcNDsmz.jpg

I just think that people have a vision in their mind and it's often not quite what's in the movie. The Han blue coat/brown coat thing is slightly different - that's a brown coat that due to deliberate color timing appeared onscreen to be blue.

I see over and over how people think the SSC Jawas are too tall and want a short Jawa because other than maybe the boss Jawa that's how Jawas are in the movie, until you look at an onset pic that shows every Jawa used in the sale of the droids scene:

vkjtgts.jpg

Maybe it's just that the most memorable Jawa moment involved the short Jawa, or maybe in one of the other scenes they had an extra kid and so there are two short Jawas together and that's what people remember. Movies are funny that way - very subjective.

Frankly, the HT Jawa to me evokes the plastic cape Jawa from Kenner days and that's actually kind of cool and a valid Jawa color choice. So much of what we know about these characters came from Topps or Kenner anyway, not the movies themsleves.

Frankly, the HT Jawa to me evokes the plastic cape Jawa from Kenner days and that's actually kind of cool and a valid Jawa color choice. So much of what we know about these characters came from Topps or Kenner anyway, not the movies themsleves.

Yeah, I can live with it. Maybe his outfit got lightened from being in the sun so long. I'll take the lighter color over the hood and texture of the SS version.

Knock it off, I'm trying to cancel this overpriced, mailed in figure;)

Yeah, I can live with it. Maybe his outfit got lightened from being in the sun so long. I'll take the lighter color over the hood and texture of the SS version.

Knock it off, I'm trying to cancel this overpriced, mailed in figure;)

Sorry but yeah, I do kind of like it, maybe because of the Kenner warm fuzzies.:dunno:lol I mean people go gaga over the just-announced Kenner HT Fett - this would be a great piece to go alongside it as a realistic 1/6 fig that has a few color tweaks as a tilt to Kenner, certainly better than a straight reissue of the ESB Vader.

Nostalgia is such a huge part of collecting, maybe the main part, and a slight tilt toward a familiar retro-vintage color or color palette can flip that switch in your head. I think it's really interesting.

Sorry but yeah, I do kind of like it, maybe because of the Kenner warm fuzzies.:dunno:lol I mean people go gaga over the just-announced Kenner HT Fett - this would be a great piece to go alongside it as a realistic 1/6 fig that has a few color tweaks as a tilt to Kenner, certainly better than a straight reissue of the ESB Vader.

Nostalgia is such a huge part of collecting, maybe the main part, and a slight tilt toward a familiar retro-vintage color or color palette can flip that switch in your head. I think it's really interesting.

The only reason I haven't pulled the plug is that I could reasonably put it in my Jabba setup and it would look pretty good I think. Your Kenner comparison is an interesting way to think about this:), but it doesn't fix the red eyes:(

Some of those Google images are pictures from the movie. It's easier for me to do a Google image search at work than to re-watch the film. Like TurdFurguson posted, some of those images don't appear to be washed out and the outfit looks more orange-ish brown than dark brown. Lighting in the films also plays a major role. Just because they look darker in a scene doesn't mean they necessarily are.

So after 40+ years you're telling me that I should now believe the Jawas wore orange robes because HT did it?

Most people like the "look" as it appeared in the films... on any of their figures. The debate always rages on, but ultimately people want their doll to look like it did in the movie. Like Krennic "gray" cape. Even if the Jawa robes were orange on set -- which they weren't -- I doubt many people would want them that way. If so, we wouldn't be having this debate at all.

The HT fabric can be darkened a bit. That's my plan at the moment. Fabric looks great.

For me the things that really get my goat are the price, combined with the red eyes and those insulting bases. Plus the cheaply constructed gonk(albeit nice articulation). I shouldn't care so much about the bases because there is a good chance I wouldn't use them for these particular figures but the price warrants something like the Sandtrooper bases. It just doesn't sit well that they marked up the price sky high and half-@$$ed so much of the set.

I still kinda want this set to go with my sandtrooper. Despite all the negatives..

I'd leave the stands in the box and use my custom Coco sand bases.

Regarding the color of the robe, if you take a look at the costume book for the original trilogy, you can see some orange vibes in it I guess.
I don't know what Hot Toys is actually using as reference material when designing a figure though.
20200527_113741.jpg
20200527_113814.jpg
20200527_113821.jpg

Maybe they used that for the robes (looks pretty close) but clearly not for the bandolier. That real holster looks pretty impressive.

This thread is following many many Hot Toys Star Wars threads

Shock, denial, anger, bargaining, depression, testing, and acceptance...

I figure we are in the shock/denial phase...

When more people get this in anger (at paying the ridiculous price for this) and bargaining "well it's Hot Toys...and the body is SO much better than SS..."

:rotfl

The HT fabric can be darkened a bit. That's my plan at the moment. Fabric looks great.

That's the only solution to make it correct. The people trying to convince themselves that the robes were different now are just crazy.

Fixing the eyes to yellow will be the larger problem. But then, you could ditch the whole light-up function and just paint over the eyes with some high-reflective yellow paint and hope it catches the light in your display.

Hot Toys MMS Jawas & Power droid

Regarding the color of the robe, if you take a look at the costume book for the original trilogy, you can see some orange vibes in it I guess.
I don't know what Hot Toys is actually using as reference material when designing a figure though.
View attachment 486060
View attachment 486061
View attachment 486062

I have that book too, but first of all I think that is a ROTJ robe even if it says ANH in the picture. Also the prop photo has been taken many years after filming, so it has probably faded some. I don?t think it would be possible to have such a light robe look that dark on screen in full sunlight. That said it might have been the reference for HT.

Back