Hot Toys MMS Iron Man Mark XXI-MIDAS - Link for waitlist in opening post

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys MMS Iron Man Mark XXI-MIDAS

Anyone remember having diecast cars from hot wheels or matchbox? Man the paint would be all gone in a couple of years lol.

Anyone remember having diecast cars from hot wheels or matchbox? Man the paint would be all gone in a couple of years lol.

Hmmm.. not completely convinced of this, would that have anything to do with those toys being played with a lot?.. heck, I used to indulge in the equivalent of 'banger'/stock car racing with my mates at school.. that tends to be very tough on paint.. and plastic cars wouldn't have lasted five minutes!

"Die cast" is pot metal. Typically the cheapest, lowest quality metal you can get.

Plastic holds better and finer detail, and is more expensive than die cast. The greatest con ever pulled on collectors.

I think you said it best man. Its total garbage. Theres a reason they stopped making toys out of cheap metal. And its not because they ran out of metal.:lecture

I think you said it best man. Its total garbage. Theres a reason they stopped making toys out of cheap metal. And its not because they ran out of metal.:lecture

.. because plastic is cheaper? :)

So what's the most you guys would pay for this? People are guessing $300 but what if it comes in at say $400? They sell for approx $600 on eBay at the moment and Sideshow know that so it's not impossible for them to mark it up.

$300 max. Still may not order it. Too many new Avengers are coming which take priority.

They are def marking it up. People hope for the best with every figure but the results are the same

No dude. Actually read the posts.:lol

I am.. but I'm genuinely not convinced by all the die-cast haters.. I have PI's Batman and it is an awesome figure.. it's also a fact that metal figures cost more to make than plastic ones, so the margins are smaller for the manufacturer, unless they hike the prices as HT have done for those figures.

Paint rub may be more of an issue with die-cast but I don't tend to pose my figures much, so I think this would mainly be an issue for collectors who do regularly change poses on their figures.. and lots of toy vehicles for collectors are still released in die-cast.. so is the hating more about price, than genuine problems with the materiel? :dunno

I am.. but I'm genuinely not convinced by all the die-cast haters.. I have PI's Batman and it is an awesome figure.. it's also a fact that metal figures cost more to make than plastic ones, so the margins are smaller for the manufacturer, unless they hike the prices as HT have done for those figures.

Paint rub may be more of an issue with die-cast but I don't tend to pose my figures much, so I think this would mainly be an issue for collectors who do regularly change poses on their figures.. and lots of toy vehicles for collectors are still released in die-cast.. so is the hating more about price, than genuine problems with the materiel? :dunno

Well see thats were the problem lays. When i dont pose my figures they bore the crap out of me. If i move robocops leg and the paint is just gone thats total bull on a 300 dollar figure. Honestly whos playing with these figures enough to feel the weight of them anyway? Plastic or metal they look the same on the shelf so its an obvious gimmick to sell them for more. I see a few problems with it really.

200+ pages and people are still crying over the price, this might be a record :lecture :exactly:

I'm not convinced the "diecast is crap" position is completely accurate. I have many diecast cars that have been handled a lot, some are quite old, and they have no issues. It may have more to do with the quality of metal, paint application, etc. I've had more issues with older plastic stuff. I'm looking forward to the upcoming HT diecast figures.

Well see thats were the problem lays. When i dont pose my figures they bore the crap out of me. If i move robocops leg and the paint is just gone thats total bull on a 300 dollar figure. Honestly whos playing with these figures enough to feel the weight of them anyway? Plastic or metal they look the same on the shelf so its an obvious gimmick to sell them for more. I see a few problems with it really.

I suspect I'm really a statue collector who is so far back in the closet, I can see Narnia.. well eye-watering price, someone else's choice of pose and the hideous fragility of polystone anyway.
:lol

I'm not convinced the "diecast is crap" position is completely accurate. I have many diecast cars that have been handled a lot, some are quite old, and they have no issues. It may have more to do with the quality of metal, paint application, etc. I've had more issues with older plastic stuff. I'm looking forward to the upcoming HT diecast figures.

:goodpost: :hi5:

Last edited:

People complaining about diecast just don't collect robots or gokins. If done well, there aren't really any severe issues with diecast. Bandai uses it masterfully across several lines. I am very curious and excited to see how Hot Toys implements it.

They never stopped. Diecast is stil used frequently.

They never stopped. Diecast is stil used frequently.

Of course it is. Just not like it used to be. You thought i meant theres no toy in the world still made in die cast? Lol They still use whale oil in some places too.

Of course it is. Just not like it used to be. You thought i meant theres no toy in the world still made in die cast? Lol They still use whale oil in some places too.

All I can go by is what you said, which is that they stopped using it.

And like I said before, it is used frequently in robot toys. I don't know what "like it used to be" means. Is there a graph or a chart we can refer to? No? Oh, ok.

I think you are making some "golden age of diecast" for what was really just the first mass usage of it. It was more exciting to people back in the 80s because it hadn't really been used much in toys beforehand. That excitement due to novelty may be over, but it's implementation in toys hasn't really diminished.

I know the "it's a cheap metal" argument. And as far as metals go, it is cheap. But while the material itself is cheap to acquire, the manufacturing processes by which to use it in toys is not cheap, hence the price it commands.

What people have done since diecast was first used in toys, is they have mostly stopped using it to make up th whole toy. Now it is commonly used more sparingly to give weight and most importantly, stability. Some chpice diecast in joints and legs/feet can give a toy a wider range of poseability and sturdiness that plastic often can't. When diecast is used in the wrong way, such as too much in the upper body, it can be a disaster. But when used right, it, in the eyes of many, can greatly enhance a toy. Just because you don't personally care for it doesn't negate it's benefits and appeal.

Now, the paint rubbing thing... I have never really had issues with paint rubbing or chipping off my diecast toys, and I do a lot of posing and requent rearranging/handling of my figures. Let's not pretend like paint rubbing is only an issue with diecast. Many Hot Toys made all of plastic and rubber have paint rubbing and fading issues. The quality and application of the paint has as much to do with this as the material it is bonded to.

We don't know how much diecast will be in these Hot Toys. Will it be just an armor coat? Will the entire body be diecast? Will it be just limbs, or just legs, or just the torso, as it often is in gokins? Until we get these in hand and can answer these questions, you can only simply dismiss HT's usage of it out of your own bias, not a reading of facts.

Back