1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 283 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Obi-Wan Kenobi

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys Obi-Wan Kenobi Sixth Scale Figure

It looks like a real one.

Just seen the Obi Wan figure on the Hot Toys Collectors Community & what can I say??? I love it..., never thought I'd say this but I've totally changed my mind & I want one, the facial detailing is superb & I'm really impressed. :) Vader on the other hand, well I think that one looks pretty naff & as he's my favourite character I'm equally surprised to be saying that too. lol

The portrait looks like episode 3.5 Obi-Wan, somewhere between Ewan and Alec.

That's why Hot Toys needs to fix the sculpt so they don't have more shots to fire. :lol cupcakes good name VintijDroidGutzz
:lol Yeah, that of course would be ideal.

The portrait looks like episode 3.5 Obi-Wan, somewhere between Ewan and Alec.
I can see what you mean actually, & I just hope that it doesn't say something for the other human portraits that are coming that we haven't seen.

I'm shocked cuz I've been very impressed with the Han and Luke portraits, maybe different lighting will help but this lacks dramatic definition to his eyes and cheek bones, trademarks of Sir Alec in the movie.

Regardless, I like both Ben & Vader so far - & any improvements are just gravy to me at this point.

Fantastic. Love it. Need it. First day preorder for me. It's too late. I'm drinking the Kool-Aid.

I'm shocked cuz I've been very impressed with the Han and Luke portraits, maybe different lighting will help but this lacks dramatic definition to his eyes and cheek bones, trademarks of Sir Alec in the movie.

Interesting to see you say that, I like the Obi Wan likeness but think Han's likeness is pretty poor. lol ;)

Apart from the Samuraii eyes and idealised sculpt it looks great IMO.
Is it spot on? Nope. But then again HT's track record is hit and miss with perfect likeness's. It does look beautifully sophisticated though.

As I mentioned in the Vader thread, I think Sir Alec Guiness' portrait need some tweaking. IMO the only things that make it better than the classic Sideshow 1/6 release are the sculpting of the hair and the paint.

15425949154_ab3c1e796d_b.jpg

Lighting is not the best, but still even with that in consideration I'm not impressed...

The likeness is way off, there are features of Guinness there... but the eyes are wrong and his face is too young and youthful. And if it was a younger looking Guinness I might be okay with it, but it doesn't even look like a young version of him. You want a good young Alec Guinness just look at the Mythos sculpt, it's eerily good.

And while I do appreciate the extra detailing of the beard, his beard was not that wavy or curly... so it's a nice detail, but ultimately overkill and hurts the likeness a bit. The skin and hair texture is better on HT, no doubt about that... but that's pretty much the only upside I'm seeing so far.

What the beard should look like...
Old-Ben-obi-wan-kenobi-20375221-1600-1200.jpg

And, while I do like the outer robe, the turtleneck looks very stiff and the inner robes are too thin and fine looking. Kenobi's robes in ANH were pretty thick and coarse.

I was thinking it was time to get rid of my custom, but so far I much prefer the repainted sculpt and inner robes on mine:
24d5bb09-a26d-4bb8-af6c-2d3f85977ff8_zps7b1ca212.jpg

HT should have slowed it down and worry about quality over quantity. Thus far, Han, Chewie, Vader and 'old' ben need major tweaks. Only the Stormies and 1/4 Fett look pretty awesome.

I don't see cool realistic figures anymore but rather a $250 - $350 price tag. And knowing I don't want to spend that much, all these figures are just "OK" to me now.

Good to see another attempt at Ben. Not liking the way he came out though. I agree, the SS sculpt is better in likeness with a serious repaint. Of course a serious repaint these days will cost you nearly as much as this figure. I'm sure at scale it looks much more real than a repainted SS... but whether it looks like Alec is another question.

Sideshow did an awful job of Obi Wan I thought, it put me off of buying human figures. He looked drawn & ill, I honestly thought he was dying!!! This Hot Toys version looks impressive, they've nailed the likeness but also given him a fresher & slightly youthful feel..., I may have to get one after all. :)

I will say this: he looks like a badass samurai ready to whup some Cantina ass.

As I said in the Vader thread, I have some reservations but I haven't seen their equal.

I have more of a problem with the Han likeness and we're far from seeing final product right now.

Lighting is not the best, but still even with that in consideration I'm not impressed...

The likeness is way off, there are features of Guinness there... but the eyes are wrong and his face is too young and youthful. And if it was a younger looking Guinness I might be okay with it, but it doesn't even look like a young version of him. You want a good young Alec Guinness just look at the Mythos sculpt, it's eerily good.

And while I do appreciate the extra detailing of the beard, his beard was not that wavy or curly... so it's a nice detail, but ultimately overkill and hurts the likeness a bit. The skin and hair texture is better on HT, no doubt about that... but that's pretty much the only upside I'm seeing so far.

What the beard should look like...
Old-Ben-obi-wan-kenobi-20375221-1600-1200.jpg

And, while I do like the outer robe, the turtleneck looks very stiff and the inner robes are too thin and fine looking. Kenobi's robes in ANH were pretty thick and coarse.

I was thinking it was time to get rid of my custom, but so far I much prefer the repainted sculpt and inner robes on mine:
24d5bb09-a26d-4bb8-af6c-2d3f85977ff8_zps7b1ca212.jpg

Zip it, cupcake.

Nice post , GB. Was his tunic really that thick and coarse? I gotta check some screen grabs....

Sweet! So who wants to buy my Sideshow Ben? Non Exclusive. Changed the body to a shorter sideshow buck. Any takers? PM me.

Back