1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 283 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Obi-Wan Kenobi

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys Obi-Wan Kenobi Sixth Scale Figure

Perfect example; it is weird. The marvel likenesses are freaking amazing with some exceptions. Even the bad ones are pretty decent. But SW? Nope! Indy? Nope....what is the deal?

The deal is LucasFilm. Remember the amazing Mace Windu that Lucasfilm made Sideshow change? I guess Samuel L. Jackson is our barometer here.

Hot Toys nailed his likeness, so did Sideshow and they were told to change it. Lucasfilm had no say in the Hot Toys version and Hot Toys was left alone to their creative devices.

There was also a damn good Bespin Luke that Andy Bergholtz had sculpted which was rejected as well.

Last edited:

Must be.

I don't think LFL pays likeness rights on OT films, but its in their best interest to make the portraits just a little off so they can say its "the image of" the character rather than the likeness of the actor.

That's probably what it is right there. The real test of checking sculpt likenesses is to photoshop the head , of let's say in this case Obi Wan, on a generic body. Where the robes, tunics and lightsaber don't contribute to the likeness. I did this is in the Han Solo thread and you really couldn't tell who the character was! I don't have time or I'd do it with the Kenobi head.

Must be.

I don't think LFL pays likeness rights on OT films, but its in their best interest to make the portraits just a little off so they can say its "the image of" the character rather than the likeness of the actor.

No, Lucasfilm owns all of the likeness rights from the OT. Carrie Fisher often jokes about having to pay George Lucas every time she looks in a mirror.

No, Lucasfilm owns all of the likeness rights from the OT. Carrie Fisher often jokes about having to pay George Lucas every time she looks in a mirror.

I know, just thinking out loud on this. But likeness rights have changed over time and the world is much more sympathetic to people who are exploited for their likeness, especially with something so huge as Star Wars, and an eager agent could potentially have a case opened. But if the likeness is off and more "in the spirit of the character, well....

Remember too, that until recently, Star Wars likenesses (via Kenner, Hasbro, etc) was a far cry from the source. Now though, actors have a better case. Fortunately, this market is still very small and probably not worth the effort.

Bens robes: I was just reading in the new Costumes book, that it was lightweight woven silk, apparently the only expensive fabric used in the entire movie. :lol

Bens robes: I was just reading in the new Costumes book, that it was lightweight woven silk, apparently the only expensive fabric used in the entire movie. :lol

How is the book? I've been meaning to pick it up

HT's robes have a PT thing about them. Ben didn't have the zigzaggy wrinkle pattern in his. I think in this case SS's is more of a match.

HT looks to have better t-neck and boots though. Likely a better belt too unless its plastic like Sideshow's.

Robe might be a wash with SS after water treatment.

Wow... it always looked so rough to me; I'm very surprised.

HT's robes have a PT thing about them. Ben didn't have the zigzaggy wrinkle pattern in his. I think in this case SS's is more of a match.

HT looks to have better t-neck and boots though. Likely a better belt too unless its plastic like Sideshow's.

Robe might be a wash with SS after water treatment.

Sideshow didn't use a plastic belt on ANH Kenobi... just on the Padawan. And I believe that's the only time they made that awful mistake :lol

I do think the new cloak looks a bit better as it's darker and the frayed edges aren't quite as extreme. Still, that alone isn't worth the full upgrade, and I fear nothing will improve the current lack in the likeness dept.

I do not understand all the negativity. That thing looks great.

I totally agree, it does look great!!! :) I usually hate human figures as they are not very good likeness wise, never bought the Sideshow figure as I thought it looked off but this new one I actually want.

If they elongate the face, the nose will be longer--it needs to be : this will vastly improve this sculpt. HT needs to do their homework and refine this a bit more.

Looks awesome, and i doubt it's the end product!

Looks like Alec Guinness, but doesn't look like him in Star Wars. Looks a tad to young. Looks idealized. HT has to stop doing that.

He needs a pointier, less square jaw and Baggier eyes.

Wow. I could tell in the preview pic that the likeness was slightly off somehow, but this is even more off than I was expecting.

Really glad now I finally picked up an old SSC Ben instead.

Since Sideshow and Hot Toys are bros, too bad Sideshow couldn't use Hot Toys production factory/manufacturing process for their portraits.

Imagine the SS old Ben sculpt with Hot Toys paint and texture.

Back