1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 283 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Obi-Wan Kenobi

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys Obi-Wan Kenobi Sixth Scale Figure

Sideshow Ben repainted:

View attachment 152698

HT definately looks way too young.

Thanks for posting this. I thought the likeness was kind of okay until seeing this - which is what it should be. Still not Han-terrible or anything, but not as good as it should be, especially given that old men are generally easier to sculpt.

Nice post , GB. Was his tunic really that thick and coarse? I gotta check some screen grabs....

Maybe not quite as thick as Sideshow, but at least as coarse... the HT looks more like what he wore in the PT.

Not a good likeness...this should have been the easiest one to nail, as the real actor had many physical distinct qualities. Did HT put the 'B Team' in charge of the SW license or what?

Personally I'm really liking this Ben. It just looks tighter. Is the portrait spot on, no. But still looks good to me. I'm going to sell my SS version. I have two anyway. So I can have an Old Ben and an Older Ben.

I think as a representation of the character, it's excellent and I'll be picking-up the two pack, for sure.

That said, it does look too young and nothing like Guiness (except in the broadest sense). People saying the likeness is spot on are delusional. I think this really does illustrate the bias against SSC on the boards, though. If this were their release, the lack of likeness would be getting the figure eviscerated. Personally I think LFL maybe wants idealized portraits and not exact likenesses to specific actors. Just conjecture to rationalize why the portraits on Luke, Han and Guiness are so off but still represent the character well.

Wow another incredible disappointment from Hot Toys. Looks like I'll be keeping my Sideshow Ben.

Idealized portraits will give me a quick exit strategy out of their line. None of them look spot on or anything the ht apologists are saying. Frustrating that people accept 'ok' when we are talking about $200 each dolls.....

Yeah, I can accept Han as it seems a bit closer and the overall figure is a massive improvement over the Sideshow version. But, this Ben will certainly look better than the Stock Sideshow Kenobi, but will never look as good as one with the repainted sculpt.

I just want some parts... That's it.

Still fine with mine:

null-12.jpg

Last edited:

Not a good likeness...this should have been the easiest one to nail, as the real actor had many physical distinct qualities. Did HT put the 'B Team' in charge of the SW license or what?
While I'm in for Chewy and Han, I do have to agree with you on these likenesses. Its weird, right? Two of the biggest, most epic and cherished licenses ever (Indy and SW) and they just can not get any of the likenesses down. Yet the Mandarin looks absolutely ****ing amazing. :lol

The portrait looks like episode 3.5 Obi-Wan, somewhere between Ewan and Alec.

This. The prototype looks like Ben about a decade, not two, into exile. Looks a bit fleshy. Who knew the eatin' on Tatooine was so good? :lol

Still like the figure and will get it but it's obviously not spot-on.

That looks really good Flosi!

I will be getting the HT Ben. Just need the main characters for my collection and he definitely fits the bill.

Quite disappointed in HT's Ben, but I really wasn't expecting to change my Sideshow one.

It may be Obi-Wan but not Sir Alec Guiness.

I do not understand all the negativity. That thing looks great.

It does look great, it just doesn't look like Sir Alec Guiness portraying old Ben Kenobi in Star Wars.

While I'm in for Chewy and Han, I do have to agree with you on these likenesses. Its weird, right? Two of the biggest, most epic and cherished licenses ever (Indy and SW) and they just can not get any of the likenesses down. Yet the Mandarin looks absolutely ****ing amazing. :lol

Perfect example; it is weird. The marvel likenesses are freaking amazing with some exceptions. Even the bad ones are pretty decent. But SW? Nope! Indy? Nope....what is the deal?

All everyone does is complain on these boards. Honestly, no wonder Hot Toys stick with Iron Man suits, don't have to worry about all the sculpt likenesses constantly.

Is their a single human figure being released now that isn't getting bashed for it's head sculpt from either SSC or HT?

It seems that every Star Wars figure from both companies have issues and I don't see how they can ever be perfect.

I'm glad I'm not a perfectionist when it comes to these figures and when I have them in my collection I'm not going to be picking them apart every time I see them. I'm not sure how people can get enjoyment from owning figures that they're only going to see the faults in.

Luckily we all have a choice to purchase something or decide to pass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back