1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 283 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Obi-Wan Kenobi

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys Obi-Wan Kenobi Sixth Scale Figure

Ooh, that middle pic is sick, Wor! :rock

Wow, that looks incredible! :clap I hope HT's looks that good. :pray:

Wow, thank you very much, guys! Means a lot that you all think it holds up.

How is the Hurricane Vader holding up after all these years? Better than SS?

Uh, well, the one I got was literally his first "electronic" Vader that Glenn made (first after his proto type original) -- lights work, box flashed in sequenced, saber works, it talks, makes sounds, everything. In 2005 it was insane. My true prize.

It still holds up on the shelf, but it does show signs of the "bash" that it really was. Back then Kaiyodo parts were readily available so there was no recasting. He just bought up kits (Kaiyodo mostly and Hasbro for suit and helmet) and built it up adding many of his own touches -- like real metal sabers, hooks, pieces on the helmet and inside the mask are real metal too. But again, this was 10 years ago so it's obviously not as impressive a piece as it was given how HT has changed the expectation of the hobby. Hurricane's Vader will always represent something to me more than just a Vader figure; I could never part with it. I'm afraid to touch it for fear the suit will just crumble apart. I don't even know if the electronics work anymore. Maybe when HT's gets here, I will dare to test him out.

Wow, thank you very much, guys! Means a lot that you all think it holds up.

Uh, well, the one I got was literally his first "electronic" Vader that Glenn made (first after his proto type original) -- lights work, box flashed in sequenced, saber works, it talks, makes sounds, everything. In 2005 it was insane. My true prize.

It still holds up on the shelf, but it does show signs of the "bash" that it really was. Back then Kaiyodo parts were readily available so there was no recasting. He just bought up kits (Kaiyodo mostly and Hasbro for suit and helmet) and built it up adding many of his own touches -- like real metal sabers, hooks, pieces on the helmet and inside the mask are real metal too. But again, this was 10 years ago so it's obviously not as impressive a piece as it was given how HT has changed the expectation of the hobby. Hurricane's Vader will always represent something to me more than just a Vader figure; I could never part with it. I'm afraid to touch it for fear the suit will just crumble apart. I don't even know if the electronics work anymore. Maybe when HT's gets here, I will dare to test him out.

That was cool to read, man. :duff As long as there's demand for licenses that aren't being addressed, there'll be kitbashes and customs out there. But we may get far fewer accounts like these in the future.

Wow, that looks incredible! :clap I hope HT's looks that good. :pray:

The only thing I really don't like about the modded ANH figure is the boots are a bit too big. It's easy to hide the issue, but I was really hoping the Deluxe version would have some smaller feet and I could swap 'em out, but no such luck. Still, the ANH is a great figure if you:
1) alter or replace the dome
2) Swap the body for a KP02 or shorten the stock body
3) replace the robes and cape

Here's mine; with a modded dome (just tilted the original one) KP02 body and Lforigno robe and cape.

vaderb-1_zps2e529f26.jpg

vaderc_zpsf39dcaff.jpg

Next to a WIP Tarkin custom:

43da51eb-fcf0-406b-84ff-0080425850b4_zps74cfb404.jpg

Thanks, a great sculpt by Caine. I still need to alter his insgnia and do a serious futzing, but he should be pretty badass once it's all said and done.

a3ee9534-86f6-4cf3-b4dd-25cf913659ac_zps65ca66f2.jpg

Thanks!

KP02 body, ilforigno cape and tunic, Sideshow helmet lowered a bit and tilted back. That's it.

It's all that's needed... I know some really like the Hasbro Dome, but I didn't care for it in person :huh

That Tarkin is so awesome Galactiboy... nice paint-up. It's also great because it now doesn't look that encouraging that SSC will do a Tarkin at the new prices.

Ugh, with Matrix being $250, this will be closer to $275-300 by the time they announce this. Wasn't SS Obi $85 -$125? :rotfl

It depends on how many headsculpts. If it's just one, $220 sounds about right, if it's two, maybe $250 and up.

Ugh, with Matrix being $250, this will be closer to $275-300 by the time they announce this. Wasn't SS Obi $85 -$125? :rotfl

It depends on how many headsculpts. If it's just one, $220 sounds about right, if it's two, maybe $250 and up.

Yeah, I know it's just from Commando, but that Matrix is LOADED with gear, complex weapons and a muscle body. Ben is a basic body, basic robes and a head. And one simple plastic cylinder as "weapon.":lol

Yes, but Obi-Wan is a Disney/LFL license. Instantly over the normal price barrier.

Man, wallet just can't get a break... excited for this and vader!

Curious to see this one, but as it's doubtful I'd want to spend $250 on it anyway I decided to finally pick up an old SS Obi-wan on ebay for $100 instead.

I could turn out to be wrong, but I just have a hard time imagining anyone ever topping Trevor's sculpt on that.

According to the MWCToys review, he was $60 :lol

Curious to see this one, but as it's doubtful I'd want to spend $250 on it anyway I decided to finally pick up an old SS Obi-wan on ebay for $100 instead.

I could turn out to be wrong, but I just have a hard time imagining anyone ever topping Trevor's sculpt on that.

Agreed, I don't think the sculpt will have a better likeness... but size could be better and he could use more texture; all things that have become more of the standard since Ben was released.

Back