1/6 Hot Toys-MMS 241-Captain America:TWS-Winter Soldier 1/6th Scale Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was my first Hot Toys figure that I bought (on eBay) and I'm super happy to have it. It's awesome.

Anyone have any way to stop cracking and peeling pleather on this guy I recently just started buying hot toys and this was one of my first since he's one of my favorite mcu characters...bought it off eBay was supposed to be new and when it arrived all the straps were unglued I fixed those and a day or so later the leather just started cracking and peeling all over mainly the arm and the shoulder.. I was thinking of buying a top fromt he civil war bucky and doing a kit bash since that top looks more durable or putting a jacket on him like in the scene where he attacks Nick fury ..any ideas or help would be great
Thanks

Anyone have any way to stop cracking and peeling pleather on this guy I recently just started buying hot toys and this was one of my first since he's one of my favorite mcu characters...bought it off eBay was supposed to be new and when it arrived all the straps were unglued I fixed those and a day or so later the leather just started cracking and peeling all over mainly the arm and the shoulder.. I was thinking of buying a top fromt he civil war bucky and doing a kit bash since that top looks more durable or putting a jacket on him like in the scene where he attacks Nick fury ..any ideas or help would be great
Thanks

I know what I would do but far as I've read pleather/rubber degeneration can't be stopped, really, it's a chemical thing. Sorry to hear about this kind of thing (again) for any fig:(. Your fig may have been new but no way to know storage conditions (like a hot storage unit for months). I dunno about leather/vinyl protectants after repair - some people swear by cremes and stuff; others say vinyl protectants make things worse. I figure if it's the pleather breaking down 'coz it's cheap not much you can do except keep coolish, out of sun, and moderate humidity. Far as I know pleather is powder or leather scrap mixed with with a binder and that breaks down over time - depends on the quality and the storage of fig too.

Sorry if this is long-winded....:google

Things to try, even if not perfect for damaged area. Clean any loose flakes w. tweezers, then:
1) Vinyl repair kit (like for cars/furniture)
2) Liquid rubber or silicone sealant (black). Always use thin layers. Use fine brush/finger/stylus etc. to blend/pat patch material w. edges of peeling e.g. blend edges of hole
3) Craft store (Michaels or other). Check out flexible fabric paints or paint pens - stuff people use to paint fabric/sweatshirts etc.

Test all this stuff on scrap fabric (u don't need to get all of it. I'd probably try patting fabric paint (one that imitates vinyl/plastic) in peeling area first). Problem w. all this is u end up buying more than u need, a lot of times:slap. Blend edges. Don't expect perfection as u are filling a hole, kind of. Think more of looking good and ending up like wear a badass WS would have (scratches, stains, grease, dirts - e.g. distressed).

Another idea is to remove any studs and deliberately peel entire jacket:horror, clean what's left, and re-coat w. better flexible fake leather product (thin layers). I'd try a patch job first tho unless whole jacket is peeling. Replace studs with fabric glue.

4) Keep in cool conditions w. moderate humidity - if u are comfortable the fig should be. I like to keep air moving too w. fan in room. Least the fig is out of possibly poor storage conditions like a hot attic?

This is my favorite MCU character - so far my WSs haven't had issues. That's not saying they won't, ever:(. Putting him in a jacket and/or other tactical gear is a good idea too. But I figure it's like Roadworn Thor who *may* need a body switch one day - HT doesn't make these figs to last forever. Plastic/rubber degrades. Who knows what HT uses. Figs need a little maintenance.

For myself, I'd also try (if I had to) sourcing thin glove leather and using original jacket as pattern to re-construct, but that's not something I look forward to doing. Might talk to a leather worker/shoe repair person at that point.:monkey3 $$$$:google

sunlight is the worse. Heat and humidity can have an impact, but the sun will take its soul after a couple of years.

I moved my collection downstairs near the wood-stove. The heat/humidity worry me a little in the winter, but my house in the summer is between 68-82F anyways. But its pretty much completely away from sunlight.

Thanks for the ideas I may try the flexible paint from the craft store I really don't think I have the guts to completely disassemble his jacket to make another one..yea I keep my place comfortable in the summer and always have a humidifier on in the winter and keep my curtains closed most the time so Sun isn't a problem..if the paint repair doesn't go good I'll probably go the jacket route or get the civil war jacket and put the harness on that I'd hate to cover up the arm with a normal jacket but maybe

Thanks for the ideas I may try the flexible paint from the craft store I really don't think I have the guts to completely disassemble his jacket to make another one..yea I keep my place comfortable in the summer and always have a humidifier on in the winter and keep my curtains closed most the time so Sun isn't a problem..if the paint repair doesn't go good I'll probably go the jacket route or get the civil war jacket and put the harness on that I'd hate to cover up the arm with a normal jacket but maybe

From what you describe the problem started re the way the fig was stored, probably. Glues dried up/degraded. I know I bought a new WS off a seller but even in perfect condition got hit w. off-gassing opening up. Plus, this is a 4 year old fig at this point...

I know it hurts LOL but yeah, I've sourced 1/6 jackets and ripped the sleeve off for Bucky kitbashing. *shrug*. Just got a duplicate Rescue Cap jacket in to rip up/distress re the film look.:horror:cool:

From what you describe the problem started re the way the fig was stored, probably. Glues dried up/degraded. I know I bought a new WS off a seller but even in perfect condition got hit w. off-gassing opening up. Plus, this is a 4 year old fig at this point...

I know it hurts LOL but yeah, I've sourced 1/6 jackets and ripped the sleeve off for Bucky kitbashing. *shrug*. Just got a duplicate Rescue Cap jacket in to rip up/distress re the film look.:horror:cool:

What kind of jackets have you found look the best? I'd kind of like to use the harness and belt with it to if I go with the jacket

What kind of jackets have you found look the best? I'd kind of like to use the harness and belt with it to if I go with the jacket

Stuff that's kind of close to the original a kind of tactical gear, close to the body, not too long, and not overtly military (e.g. lots and lots of flap pockets). More "bland" like a mercenary would wear - sort of like the guys in TWS who didn't look memorable, really. No puffy bomber jackets looks too civilian. No shiny leather.

Something like this maybe:
https://www.blackopstoys.com/products/ttl-cia-quick-reaction-force-black-jacket

He also looks good with a heavier turtleneck and tactical gear. Unfortunately I've also found paying more for 1/6 clothes is usually worth it; the cheaper stuff looks too doll-like (big snaps and velcro strips). Sux when you need to take a sleeve off. I u do it carefully tho u can repair if ever needed. Also if needed I use Rit Dye more if I want a heavier black on 1/6 scale clothes, or just over-dye.

Or just be sure and pick up the CW jacket:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Toys-W...m=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313&LH_TitleDesc=0

To continue the previous conversation... There is a guy on facebook selling custom commissioned screen accurate jackets... But he want's $220 for it. It's cool, but it doesn't look that good for that ridiculous price.

I honestly don't know if that's a good price or not because I never buy custom commissioned stuff for 1/6th figures, and it looks like that will continue... Even if it is on par with other commissioned custom stuff, I think that price is ludicrous. I'd never pay that much for something that looks so obviously home made. Maybe I'm being unreasonable, but I wouldn't pay more than $80 for it.

41505299_1854282574654009_5014362055948369920_o.jpg
41477475_1854282531320680_4193346398386651136_o.jpg

Tailoring on the sleeve cuffs needs a lot of work.

And IMO there are other things that would bother me at that price. Chest zipper pockets too prominent; stitched leather? don't think it working at this scale e.g. stitching too obvious.

The real jacket didn't have patterned pleather/leather. Good effort but IMO needs some tweaks/tailoring. Jacket fit should be more straight and some sleeve issues. I wouldn't try to tailor this over the silver arm anyway (which I think this custom does); doubt if actor was wearing arm during scene - why bother? Because then you'd have to fit sleeves differently.

I might pay a lot for an IMO flawless custom, but not for this one.

WinterSoldiervsCustom.jpg

:)
I'm pretty happy with how it turned out and I'm glad to finally have that outfit on display. Not even HT could make a screen accurate 1/6 version of this tbh, hell they couldn't even with the regular outfit, so unless one can tailor 1/6 stuff oneself, there's things one has to compromise on.

And their prices are ridiculous. XD

View attachment 434648

The wrist peg broke off. Any help on how to get this pin out?

If you have a small flat head screwdriver you can just pry it out. I just had to do this with the SooSoo Toys Iron Fist figure. The plastic is pliable enough such that you won't deform the hole. But best to warm up the hand with hot water beforehand.

Back