Hot Toys-MMS 201-Man of Steel-Jor-El-1/6th Scale Collectible figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a little more progress... Jor-el body didn't arrive so I decided to kill time by working on the lower leg/foot. As with the crest, I may not even use this in the final product, but it is good practice until I get the body in. Also, should I stop posting here? I don't want to turn this thread into my custom showcase, I know that's not what these threads are for.

A little update... body arrived today! Very excited to have a body to sculpt directly on. Even with only basic forms being roughed out I am already loving things.

[/QUOTE]

Very nice. Make sure and keep the sculpey away from the undersuit at all times!
Obviously I wrapped the body in Saran Wrap so hopefully that isn't going to be a problem. It wasn't easy to conform it to his body but I just taped it on tightly, and once the Sculpey was on there it's holding quite securely. Now I'm left with trying to figure out how to get the armor off the body for baking as I go... sort of a huge problem that I haven't yet addressed.

Most impressive. I can't wait to see how it turns out. Nice job.
Thank you! Hopefully I get some real progress on it this weekend. If not, I am off next Wednesday so I will work on it Tuesday night and Wednesday.

Obviously I wrapped the body in Saran Wrap so hopefully that isn't going to be a problem. It wasn't easy to conform it to his body but I just taped it on tightly, and once the Sculpey was on there it's holding quite securely. Now I'm left with trying to figure out how to get the armor off the body for baking as I go... sort of a huge problem that I haven't yet addressed.

It's not possible if you want it to be tight to him.
What you have to do is saran wrap the body, then sculpt a very thing armature over it. And it must be done with Apoxie Sculpt, lined with fine metal wire. The Apoxie sculpt can be rolled out flat after mixing, and using talc to stop it from sticking. Once you have made the thin shapes of the armour panels(And always in halves), remove them gently to clean up the edges(But the fine wire will make sure it won't break if you embedded it correctly). Then put that back on and sculpt on top of that. It can be removed to harden it each time you have a new layer done.

It's not possible if you want it to be tight to him.
What you have to do is saran wrap the body, then sculpt a very thing armature over it. And it must be done with Apoxie Sculpt, lined with fine metal wire. The Apoxie sculpt can be rolled out flat after mixing, and using talc to stop it from sticking. Once you have made the thin shapes of the armour panels(And always in halves), remove them gently to clean up the edges(But the fine wire will make sure it won't break if you embedded it correctly). Then put that back on and sculpt on top of that. It can be removed to harden it each time you have a new layer done.

Thanks for the tips. Obviously I haven't gotten too far into it yet, so I will mess around with it and see what I can come up with.

Doesn't look bad at all!
You'll want to engineer in some breaks. Otherwise you'll never get it off.
Thanks! I already have a couple breaks built in so I can get it off. You just can't tell from the images I have. I'll keep up with the updates.

Upper body armor is done and baked. Now just need to sand, smooth, fill imperfections, etc. Moving on to the legs next, most likely.

Sharing some pics I recently took.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429278086.596553.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1429278098.761815.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1429278106.278971.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1429278124.271568.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1429278140.832111.jpg

Looking good, mate.
That armor is a must.
. Thanks a lot! Your pictures look great. That close up of the face, wow!

A few more updates. Have both lower legs done (though only one shown in the picture). Starting work on the thigh armor... It's very difficult with the shape of the thigh, though!

Back