Hot Toys-MMS 201-Man of Steel-Jor-El-1/6th Scale Collectible figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple pics of the start of the battle armor. Sculpey photographs like crap, unfortunately, but you get the idea... and I may not keep this initial go, I just wanted to see what I was dealing with regarding details and techniques. I'm happy so far, and I feel I'm getting good enough results to continue with my plan.

b68a0b8cf13303157b54a2ab51a7115c.jpg

1a17604e52c75b6bbdd7a85a707f6eda.jpg

It's a good start. You might want to build it all up on the figure though.
But i can't wait to see more.

I totally agree... I was really just getting a little impatient and so I wanted to see what I was up against! In starting it I could already see things that were made more difficult by not doing it directly on the figure... Most important I am thinking this crest is too big, which would have been much easier to tell directly on a body. Owell, it was fun getting started, and since Toy Anxiety shipped out so fast I should be able to get him started this week when I have a day off.

I totally agree... I was really just getting a little impatient and so I wanted to see what I was up against! In starting it I could already see things that were made more difficult by not doing it directly on the figure... Most important I am thinking this crest is too big, which would have been much easier to tell directly on a body. Owell, it was fun getting started, and since Toy Anxiety shipped out so fast I should be able to get him started this week when I have a day off.

Of course. It's great fun to steam in and get started. I have sculpted a ton of stuff with Sculpey. It's a great material.

Of course. It's great fun to steam in and get started. I have sculpted a ton of stuff with Sculpey. It's a great material.

The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't "carve" well, like clay would. You really have to do more pushing it around and adding layers directly to it for depth, but as I am getting the hang of it I really enjoy working with it. I just wish it photographed better! I feel the crest actually looks better even than what I can show you guys.

The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't "carve" well, like clay would. You really have to do more pushing it around and adding layers directly to it for depth, but as I am getting the hang of it I really enjoy working with it. I just wish it photographed better! I feel the crest actually looks better even than what I can show you guys.

The trick is always to keep it warm. Have you been doing that? It needs to be kneaded, and only tear off the small amount you are working with right now.
It's possible to get amazing details into it with a bit of forethought.

The trick is always to keep it warm. Have you been doing that? It needs to be kneaded, and only tear off the small amount you are working with right now.
It's possible to get amazing details into it with a bit of forethought.

Yep, keeping it nice and warm... For some of the finer details I tear off really small pieces and then knead them or roll them to a desired size, then I add them to the sculpt. It's a bit tougher to keep the overall sculpt warm, though, as I can't touch it so I don't ruin details I already put into play. I could always use a heat gun or hair dryer, I guess.

Sometimes, i even sculpt a detail and harden it, *then* add it to the sculpt. That way you won't ruin the rest.
Great idea. Do you harden it in the oven or with some other heat source? I assume Sculpey is ok being baked more than once, then?

Great idea. Do you harden it in the oven or with some other heat source? I assume Sculpey is ok being baked more than once, then?

I generally have a base plate i sculpt on, or an armature, and put it in the oven. 30 minutes for every half inch of thickness. Normally 30 minutes is fine, followed by 30 minutes cooling before sculpting again.
And finely details parts can be worked on independently, then smoothed into the whole.
And yes, you can harden sculpey loads of times.
Just don't leave it in too long, or at too high a heat.

Awesome, thanks for the tips. I'll be utilizing all these various techniques. As I started the chest plate I realized how daunting this may be, but the challenge is what makes it fun.

Awesome work. How do you get it so smooth? Is it something you do before baking, like using alcohol brushed over the Sculpey, or is it done with sanding after baking?

Awesome work. How do you get it so smooth? Is it something you do before baking, like using alcohol brushed over the Sculpey, or is it done with sanding after baking?

Just smooth it with your fingers. Or a smooth tool.
Whatever works.
You can also use clothing to impart texture if you are sculpting cloth.
Like a fine sock on your hand, pressed into already sculpted folds in the sculpey.
Loads of little tricks.

One more picture that is lit much better. Looking at it I don't think the size is too big, but like I said before, if I need to resculpt it altogether that's not really a big deal.

Back