Hot Toys: MMS 139 Resident Evil: Afterlife: 1/6th scale Alice Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bigger head from molding is not a new sculpt. Today, it is possible to adjust the size of the mold before they actually make the metal mold.

We are not talking about homemade casting here. We are talking about five figure metal mold that are digitally scanned from the prototype.

Even Neca 6-inch predator are originally sculpted in 1/6 scale. Then the mold are reduced in half for production. This is a fairly common practice.

For a sculpt to qualify as a new sculpt, they better be some significant changes and not in terms of size.

Not just the size and shape of the sculpt, her lips are thicker and a the face is wider, the hair is shorter (tufts) and more flattened, her facial features are also different and less defined, the hairline less pronounced... in other words, It's a different sculpt, and In my opinnion she has lost quite a lot of Milla's likeness in the process :monkey2

If this is'nt a new sculpt,( from 0) then, HT have been been tweaking the prototype sculpture, too much and wrongly :/

Not the better pictures.. but here, in the first picture she has a classic "doll" face to me, instead of Milla's potrait :(

678_hot+toys.jpg

ZgxYpIt

246941_10150187492332344_58690437343_7226602_24273_n.jpg

I'm starting to believe that HT have lost Milla's image rights (or maybe they never had them..) .. They may have the aproval from the licensor (movie) but not the Image rights of Milla Jovovich :monkey4

BTW Anyone remember this? :

21432a87.jpg

Last edited:
A bigger head from molding is not a new sculpt. Today, it is possible to adjust the size of the mold before they actually make the metal mold.

We are not talking about homemade casting here. We are talking about five figure metal mold that are digitally scanned from the prototype.

Even Neca 6-inch predator are originally sculpted in 1/6 scale. Then the mold are reduced in half for production. This is a fairly common practice.

For a sculpt to qualify as a new sculpt, they better be some significant changes and not in terms of size.

^ What VALVOLINER said.

But from the point of view of size and your point of digital scanning. Larger sculpt scanned to be made for smaller final figure, And not the other way around. by enlarging you loose details (that would fine for a smaller scale) and scanning will not be able to pick-up all the finner details in the 1/6 sculpt.

All this while HT sculptors have been sculpting at 1/6 scale (and some 1/4), why would they not sculpt bigger and srink it down using scanning (or enlarging it for their 1/4 bust). They have not done so in the past and will likely not do so with Alice. It's much easier for HT's many talented sculptors (in Alice's case one sculptress) to just resculpt a bigger head.

A crude example would be Berserker/Super Preds why would they release a smaller than prototype body, when they can digitally "increase" the size before the metal molds.

But pure digitally made mechas like the Ironman fig. and busts are computer designed from the ground up are easily resized.

Last edited:
No way HT will release this new head sculpt. If for some reason they do, I will be cancelling for certain. I only got on board with this figure because I am a Milla fan and I want a likeness. The proto pics were near perfect IMO. I really just want a HT Lilu Dallas (multi-pass), but I really doubt that will ever happen.

Not just the size and shape of the sculpt, her lips are thicker and a the face is wider, the hair is shorter (tufts) and more flattened, her facial features are also different and less defined, the hairline less pronounced... in other words, It's a different sculpt, and In my opinnion she has lost quite a lot of Milla's likeness in the process :monkey2

If this is'nt a new sculpt,( from 0) then, HT have been been tweaking the prototype sculpture, too much and wrongly :/

Not the better pictures.. but here, in the first picture she has a classic "doll" face to me, instead of Milla's potrait :(

678_hot+toys.jpg

ZgxYpIt

246941_10150187492332344_58690437343_7226602_24273_n.jpg

I'm starting to believe that HT have lost Milla's image rights (or maybe they never had them..) .. They may have the aproval from the licensor (movie) but not the Image rights of Milla Jovovich :monkey4

BTW Anyone remember this? :

21432a87.jpg

Trust me, it's the same sculpt. Now I am very sure of it. The new head looks wider because of the hairpiece. You can see more of the face and her ears.

I am sure it will look a lot closer to the proto with the other hairpiece. Also take into account that there is massive distortion from the lens while taking the close-up shot of this figure.

The thicker lips could be attributed to the paintjob. The paint job is sure subpar with the new head.

^ What VALVOLINER said.

But from the point of view of size and your point of digital scanning. Larger sculpt scanned to be made for smaller final figure, And not the other way around. by enlarging you loose details (that would fine for a smaller scale) and scanning will not be able to pick-up all the finner details in the 1/6 sculpt.

All this while HT sculptors have been sculpting at 1/6 scale (and some 1/4), why would they not sculpt bigger and srink it down using scanning (or enlarging it for their 1/4 bust). They have not done so in the past and will likely not do so with Alice. It's much easier for HT's many talented sculptors (in Alice's case one sculptress) to just resculpt a bigger head.

A crude example would be Berserker/Super Preds why would they release a smaller than prototype body, when they can digitally "increase" the size before the metal molds.

But pure digitally made mechas like the Ironman fig. and busts are computer designed from the ground up are easily resized.

They only made a minor adjustment to the size of the head. You hardly loose any noticeable detail with such a minor increase. Reason why they didn't just re-sculpt a bigger head is because it take about one month to sculpt a head (Yulli mentioned before she takes two weeks to sculpt a head, and a week to do any revision).

My point ultimately, is that mold sizes can be adjusted to compensate for any final size matching. I have seen a lot of HT proto with oversized HS and they look fine in the final product. Sure, sometimes the HS will have some shrinkage but not to some of the extend I have seen. Case in point, the BR Joker proto has a freaking huge nogging.

Not sure what you are trying to say with your predators body example.

Are you trying to say that the final product shrunk so much from the mold or Joseph Tsang actually resculpted the whole body? I can tell you for sure that the body did not shrink that much from the mold and surely HT did not sculpt a smaller body. It is obvious they resized the mold for final production. It's just quicker and more cost effective.

Also, if you resculpt the head, the result might no be the same as before even (or maybe this is what happened with Alice. They resculpt a bigger head and something is lost in translation along the way)

One thing I realized about resizing is that they always look weird if it's a major resize. You can't just take a bigger head and then shrink it down to half its size and expect it to look right all the time.

Adjustments have to be made and compensated to adapt to any scale.

One good example is that a lot of HT weapons are actually oversize in relation to their body size. I know a gun nut who is also a 1/6 scale collector and he pointed them all out to me. But the figure look better with the slightly bigger gun. If it were in exact scale, the guns will look quite tiny to our eyes.

Proto was awesome, new looks like crappy ass TriadToys version :dunno

If HT want to release figure with this head - they are psychos. And of course this will put some great END to any potential future releases of Alice from the previous movies because they can't get freakin' rights to use Milla's face (so after eight months, JEEEEEs).

It's a shame that Hot Toys believes no one will notice the change from gold to crap. :censored

I'm really disappointed, since I didn't preorder a cheap doll with a likeness of 0. Anyone who still thinks that it's just the camera angle should see an eye doctor... immediately.

everyone says its the lighting the new pics the head looks wider and the hair is differnt glad i didnt pre order this ____

I was really looking forward to this figure. This reminds me of the Thriller figure. The proto was unbelievable. I will probably cancel this figure if I do not see better in-hand pictures.

i do noot think that this is alice with the same head. the "n ew" one looks like crap!

prototype was hot, but this? no way!

Must....not....complain...before....seeing....it....in....hand.

It's so hard not to. I don't think it's just a paint problem. That sculpt looks completely diffferent.

attachment.php

It's just night and day when looking at that picture. If the sculpt on the left is the one being released I sadly will cancel. The one on the right is clearly more Milla, easy. Not even a competition in my eyes. I still have faith though.

You fell victim to the chickenlittle pic we were laughing at about 10 pages ago (the one I actually said looked photoshopped). This is just more chickenlittle bull____. When she comes out, those who've kept her on order will be stoked to see she doesn't really look all that different from the prototype, while the idiots who canceled on a chickenlittle whim, will continue to ____talk the figure they don't own, to justify their fail to themselves in an effort to keep their fragile little egos in tact on the message boards. This is just your a-typical, same HotToys thread, different genre.

Is this one clear and close enough for you guys ?

678_hot+toys.jpg

url

Doesn't change the fact that the head's at a bad angle. If it were down to where the eyes were looking forward like in the prototype shots, you'd have a better case. It's not and you don't. Thank you, drive through! :wave

As with Superman flash and glass does not help. Personal I think Hot Toys should have kept it the way it was, but I am sure in hand this will still look good. It could be a mad rush to get it once it comes out, just like Blade. Who knows, time will tell?

Doesn't change the fact that the head's at a bad angle. If it were down to where the eyes were looking forward like in the prototype shots, you'd have a better case. It's not and you don't. Thank you, drive through! :wave

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl bad angle :rotfl:rotfl:rotfl...ya whatever.

Back