Hot Toys - MMS 117 Terminator 2 Model T-800 spec + hi-res pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's not Sideshow's, sadly, Sideshow's costume is even worse than that, that's a custom T2 costume that was, might still be, for sale. Sideshow's was so bad and the Saturday Toys one sold out so quick, someone decided to try and sell one that was somewhere between the 2 in quality. Still can't beat HT's though.

8303_press04-001.jpg
900815_press16-001.jpg

83031_press01-001.jpg
900815_press12-001.jpg

8303_press01-001.jpg
900815_press01-001.jpg

Last edited:
WOW, never saw that sideshow piece of c***. Looks like somebody's 10 year old constructed the figure. How much did it sell for?

WOW, never saw that sideshow piece of c***. Looks like somebody's 10 year old constructed the figure. How much did it sell for?

$50.00 in 2006. :gah:

Look at one of the comments,Only positives of course.

King Darkness from Gallup, NM US
T-800

I had my doubts about this figure, but let me tell once you have it in hand, you will not be disappointed! The sculpt is top notch, and once posed with his glasses and shotgun you will think you have a mini Arnold in the house! Highly recommend.
:slap

TBF, if it wasn't for Sideshow and their effort, we wouldn't have the HT version, or even HT themselves. Right? Right?

Pretty sure if anyone paved way for Hot Toys as a company, it'd be Medicom, not Sideshow.

As far as the comments about the Sideshow figure, when it shipped, it did seem awesome, especially when there really wasn't anything else T2 out that was up to that level, believe it or not, those Sideshow figures raised the bar a bit for their time. And at that time, Hot Toys wasn't anywhere close to where they're at today, so it was easy to feel better about the Sideshow figures, though from day one, T-800's coat and pants were pretty lame.

Awesome comparison pics. 1:6 collectibles have come a long way in such a short time period. Can't wait to see what we'll get in the coming years.

The waist line and baggy pants are just awful.No matter when this was produced.those pants were just pathetic.SideShow forgot the common sense somewhere else.

Awesome comparison pics. 1:6 collectibles have come a long way in such a short time period. Can't wait to see what we'll get in the coming years.

I imagine that next improvements are gonna be on more realistic bodies...and where there's a better way of hiding the joints. Can't complain when the figures are fully clothed but when displaying them bare-chested, lets say Barney Ross, it doesn't look very nice.

I imagine that next improvements are gonna be on more realistic bodies...and where there's a better way of hiding the joints. Can't complain when the figures are fully clothed but when displaying them bare-chested, lets say Barney Ross, it doesn't look very nice.

They've already achieved that though, that could be done today, HT's used muscle bodies, while the sculpts could use some improvement, with today's paint jobs and the right sculpts, they could look very lifelike, but they'd lack posability. Ultimately, you can't have joints hidden, fully articulation, and have the body always look real in any pose, you either have to make the skin thin and you end up with weird folds that you dont' get in the human body, or the skin is so thick, you can't pose things.

The new bodies are really the best option for a collectible figure, it looks more realistic than a standard base body, but it has most of the posability such a body would have.

Some people may care more to have figures look as nice and realistic as possible, but I think for the majority, the allure of figures is the posability, and we just luck out that we also get such a nice aesthetic. There are statues out there for people who care more about seemless bodies and all. I don't see the figure market ever being comprised of a majority that would sacrifice function for appearance.

I completely agree with MaulFan! I have seen the evolution of the 1:6 scale figure in person since I was a kid in the 1970s. I had some of the first 12" figures made by Kenner for Star Wars. So, I've seen them go from those then where you could really only lift up the arms and legs and move them up and down. Much like a bigger version of a 3 3/4" Star Wars figure. Now with Sideshow, and even better with Hot Toys, we have very realistic head sculpts, and much better articulation. Sure, it may not be the perfect super-highly articulated figure we've always wanted...but isn't it close enough? It is for me at this point. I like the Premium Format statues that Sideshow sells, but I don't own any of them. These 1:6 scale figures are different than those statues. So we can't expect them to be as smooth at the joints as those statues. At the neck, shoulders, elbows, knees and ankles. Joints that have to have jointed parts to properly move in the 1:6 scale figures.

Overall I'm very satisfied with Hot Toys. Sideshow has room for improvement, but I don't bash them. They were one of the first companies to acquire the licenses for some of my favorite movie characters, and make them in 1:6 scale. I have most of the ones I want from Sideshow as 1:6 scale figures. I appreciate the attention to realism that Hot Toys is doing now, and hitting the mark for the most part. I think one glaring area that is lacking for Sideshow is paint applications on the head sculpts. We can all agree on that since most of us have repainted one of their head sculpts at one time or another. I've only had to repaint some Hot Toys heads to make them more film accurate such as Pvt. Drake and Ripley from ALIENS.

Absolutly, man.
Looks stunning and I´m actually thinkg about doing that myself.
Little tutorial goin´on?!
:hi5:

Decent reactions from those who commented. Thanks Endo, Marrowman and Skiman.

It was pretty simple really. I boiled some water, dipped the endo arm in and pulled off the hand - the thin wrist rods stayed attached by their balljoints to the hand. This left only the 4 thicker rods of the forearm into which the thin wrist rods fit - ala a piston. These 4 forearm rods I tried to pull out but mostly had to break off. And it was these pieces that I shortened by cutting them at each of their bases with a switchblade, albeit with a bit of trial & error at first. The goal is to make the oveall endoarm at least a fist hand shorter than the stock endoarm, so cut accordingly - of course its best to cut too short than too much or else you ___k the whole thing up.

So you cut each of the 4 rods at the base while making sure that they stay the same proportional size to eachother that they were originally for accuracy sake, then you glue them back into position. Then reconnect the hand which should stay put solidly by the balljoints.

The overall effect is the shortened endo-arm. The problem is the outer armour of the forearm (closest to the elbow) is too big now and it kind of dominates the forearm in a way that it shouldn't, making it all look a bit squat and maybe the hand a bit oversized (which it is, slightly).

I completely agree with MaulFan! I have seen the evolution of the 1:6 scale figure in person since I was a kid in the 1970s. I had some of the first 12" figures made by Kenner for Star Wars.

I remember those star wars figures, I had the Boba Fett with the telescopic eye

aug375.jpg

Thing is worth a small fortune now :p

They've already achieved that though, that could be done today, HT's used muscle bodies, while the sculpts could use some improvement, with today's paint jobs and the right sculpts, they could look very lifelike, but they'd lack posability. Ultimately, you can't have joints hidden, fully articulation, and have the body always look real in any pose, you either have to make the skin thin and you end up with weird folds that you dont' get in the human body, or the skin is so thick, you can't pose things.

The new bodies are really the best option for a collectible figure, it looks more realistic than a standard base body, but it has most of the posability such a body would have.

Some people may care more to have figures look as nice and realistic as possible, but I think for the majority, the allure of figures is the posability, and we just luck out that we also get such a nice aesthetic. There are statues out there for people who care more about seemless bodies and all. I don't see the figure market ever being comprised of a majority that would sacrifice function for appearance.

I do realize the technical limitations. Obviously a true human like articulated body where the muscles appropriately flex and extend with each motion would be impossible to achieve(well with the right amount of funds it might be possible but would be extremely expensive and definitely not a mass production product), and realistically it's not gonna happen in the near and not so near future. However, the joint construction can be improved and be hidden under a rubber. I don't own any fully rubber covered body figures but I've heard from some members that in time the rubber deteriorates...cracks...etc. Not sure if they changed the material with Leonidas but rubber can be made much more durable and long-lasting.

Durable and long lasting rubber, I'm afraid not. Look at the Mars Attacks thread. Shocked to see it on such a recent release.
I was one of the guys loving the rubber bodies until this.

maybe if they used Duroplast, like what the T-850 had in T3.

"Notes

* In Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, T-850's skin is made of duroplast, a form of pliant plastic instead of the living tissue."

I don't even care about the durability, it's the posability. The old Rambos look nice but the pose options suck, Barney Ross will have more options and sill look good. The only use of rubber on a figure that doesn't hurt posability is the T-800 style body where it's to hide the neck, the neck is as posable as any figure.

Perhaps if some form of rubber or rubber like substance is invented that can expand and contract numerous times without compromising the material and resulting in breaks, we may get fully realistic looking figures that are as posable as non-realistic bodies, but until such time, the materials today are just too limited.

Have any of you seen Sean Longs review of this guy? what the hell is wrong with the neck on his one? It looks really weird all sucked in at either side...?

Anyone else had this problem?

I think some of that is lens distortion, but one of mine has a thinner looking neck like that, I think it looks more realistic than my other figure which looks almost too beefed out and not proper human shape.

Back