Hot Toys - MMS 106 - Alien - BIG CHAP collectible figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Part 3

The box has a translucent slip cover, somewhat emulating the dome over the Alien skull. The construction of the figure feels much closer to the AVP figure than the Aliens Warrior...the elbow & knees joints seem to be notched, I'm guessing to add stability for posing. However, it might be a bit less stable when getting in between those points. The body feels more akin to Hellboy, with a rubber skin over the exoskeleton, tighter & not as floppy as say the Aliens version. The chest area is indeed a harder plastic, hopefully to avoid any of the paint flaking issues of the past. The joints feel tight, but not brittle. Part 1 photos feature the bendy hands, I didn't mess with them much...part 2 uses the other pair, which I prefer to use.
Over all the level of detail in the sculpt & paint is very good. There is that obvious seam in the dome which is a bit of a turn-off. I couldn't get the mouth to close all the way, and I wish I could, as closed mouth might be the best result for it to look the best.
But the real issue here is screen accuracy, and as been discussed for the last 85 pages or so of this thread, could certainly be a lot better, specifically in the head, mouth & teeth areas. It just isn't as accurate as it should be, and is lacking in the menacing department. Look at the teeth as compared to the other two figures, it's just lacking in this area of the figure. As noted earlier, the inner jaw is painted the wrong color, it should be more of a bone white.
To summarize, it's a well constructed, sculpted and painted figure overall, and an improvement from past Aliens in that regard. However, for hard core Alien fans who demand a higher degree of screen accuracy, perhaps this figure is not for them. Curious that Hot Toys did not put more time & effort into getting this as exact as they could, given their track record for other releases. But it is what it is. It makes a nice addition to your existing HT Aliens, but as an end-all, be-all Giger Alien figure, it comes up short in my opinion.

Honest, concise, thorough... and even-tempered. Excellent review.

Thank you!

Excellent pics and Review, Karnis. The body does look terrific and the Jaw doesn't look THAT Leno-ish. Shame about the head sculpt, but still, posed in the right way, it makes a striking display.

It's a Good Figure, just not the one I wanted. Oh, well.

Cool review and pics, thanks!
How does the "suit" feel? Does it allow for a good range of posing? Does it feel like it will withstand long-term posing in more "extreme" poses, like the ball-pose?

Great review.

Can you get it into the crouched "ball" pose we've seen in other pics?

Cool review and pics, thanks!
How does the "suit" feel? Does it allow for a good range of posing? Does it feel like it will withstand long-term posing in more "extreme" poses, like the ball-pose?

Well, that's the million dollar question, isn't it? I haven't futzed with it in a couple hours since I took the pics, but it seems like the elbows & knees do have enough range of motion & play in the suit...but I would be concerned about the hips, though. I'm not sure I want to push my luck ;)
And the instructions clearly say not to pose the legs more than 15 degrees apart, too.

Here, here. Excellent pics and review. Honestly I like the non-flash pics Karnis :peace:D

Thanks everybody. The only reason I took the flash pics was to point out some of the details in the sculpt & paint....I prefer the non flash myself. I also purposely didn't get the figure in any exotic poses so everyone could get a good look at it.

I was so looking forward to this figure. It looks good, but not great. Where is the menace factor? That F-ing triplewide jaw leads me to believe that this is the special "Alien as portrayed by Robert Zdar" version.

thanks for the pics and the impromptu review, karnis. nice to see some even-handed judgement being exercised here.

and i agree with u about the ugly seam along the dome. i really dislike it. of all the things that scream inaccurate and reeks of toy-ishness, the seam is the most glaring one. strange that the negative nancys keep going on and on about the face but don't make as big an issue of the seam. even if the alien's face were perfect, once u see that seam, the illusion of realism is destroyed. to me that's far more serious.

having said that, i still feel this is a pretty good alien figure overall. will be getting it further down the line... :D

2aa.jpg

3aa.jpg

4aa.jpg

5aa.jpg

6aa.jpg

7aa.jpg

8aa.jpg

9aa.jpg

10aa.jpg

I need a new camera and a good tripod ... some more 'free' time would be nice, too ... :D

Back