Hot Toys Mandarin Order Poll

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you ordering Hot Toys 'The Mandarin'?

• Yes

Votes: 95 31.1%
  • No

Votes: 174 57.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 36 11.8%

• Total voters
I'm getting him because he's on my list of characters from the MCU that I want for my collection but also because I thought the character was a riot in the film and I loved the twist.

I'm a completist so yes. I PO'd 2 (1 from SS, another from BBTS)

This figure, the grey War Machine, and the majority of the suits featured at the end of the film - are all great examples of why Hot Toys should actually see the movie before they start making figures. Mandarin is a fake character, the majority of the armors get all of 2 blurry seconds of screen time, and the grey war machine isn't even in the damn movie. Imagine all the time their artists wasted making these instead of working on other licenses.

Once the hype has died down and Iron Man 3 is in the past, five years from now nobody nowhere is going to say, "boy, I sure wish I'd gotten that Mandarin figure from Iron Man 3".

This figure, the grey War Machine, and the majority of the suits featured at the end of the film - are all great examples of why Hot Toys should actually see the movie before they start making figures. Mandarin is a fake character, the majority of the armors get all of 2 blurry seconds of screen time, and the grey war machine isn't even in the damn movie. Imagine all the time their artists wasted making these instead of working on other licenses.

That would be ideal. And I'd be ok with it. However, look how people freak out about the wait now. Imagine having to wait another 2-6 months for releases. :horror

That would be ideal. And I'd be ok with it. However, look how people freak out about the wait now. Imagine having to wait another 2-6 months for releases. :horror
Well, if they weren't making A DOZEN figures from a single movie - that might help lower wait times, too. They could have made the Mark 42 Die-Cast, Mechanic Tony Stark, Rave Party Killian and been done with the license. Iron Patriot never even fired a shot, and the Mechanic better represents the film than the workshop Tony figure.

How is making ridiculous sums of money a waste of time for any business? :huh

Well, if they weren't making A DOZEN figures from a single movie - that might help lower wait times, too. They could have made the Mark 42 Die-Cast, Mechanic Tony Stark, Rave Party Killian and been done with the license. Iron Patriot never even fired a shot, and the Mechanic better represents the film than the workshop Tony figure.

I disagree with this. I respect your opinion, but that just your personal tate. My opinion is I don't mind waiting and I'll take all the IM, Spiderman, Avenegers, or any Marvel they make.

How is making ridiculous sums of money a waste of time for any business? :huh
I guess I'd be surprised if Hot Toys can actually sell all of these Iron Man 3 figures at the same volume they've sold past figures; there's only so many adults interested in collecting $250 dolls, and at some point I'd have to imagine they'll have over-saturated the market.

They made five figures from Iron Man 2; they've announced over a dozen figures already for Iron Man 3 and with more on the way. If I have 20 people interested in my expensive niche product and each one buys all five that I offer, I've sold a hundred units. Now if I then decide to produce 10 products, am I going to double my sales or is it more likely my customers will simply be more selective and purchase their favorite five of the ten? I'd say the latter is far more likely.

I think the sculpt and figure as a whole looks great but after seeing the movie, I am not a fan of the character and the price is way too much IMO.

I guess I'd be surprised if Hot Toys can actually sell all of these Iron Man 3 figures at the same volume they've sold past figures; there's only so many adults interested in collecting $250 dolls, and at some point I'd have to imagine they'll have over-saturated the market.

They made five figures from Iron Man 2; they've announced over a dozen figures already for Iron Man 3 and with more on the way. If I have 20 people interested in my expensive niche product and each one buys all five that I offer, I've sold a hundred units. Now if I then decide to produce 10 products, am I going to double my sales or is it more likely my customers will simply be more selective and purchase their favorite five of the ten? I'd say the latter is far more likely.

I see your point. Though, I'm pretty confident the demand for this line of figures is not slowing down anytime soon. Like others have mentioned before, what we have here on this board is a tiny indication of the demand as the Asian market is berserk for them with no signs of slowing down.

I believe Hot Toys knows what they're doing in terms of edition sizes and production, it's not like there's too many older IM releases that are still available that I can think of. For the most part they are sold out everywhere with a handful popping in stock at certain retailers sporadically. You may be right, there may come a day where they vastly overestimate the demand for their product and hurt them financially.

I see your point. Though, I'm pretty confident the demand for this line of figures is not slowing down anytime soon. Like others have mentioned before, what we have here on this board is a tiny indication of the demand as the Asian market is berserk for them with no signs of slowing down.

I believe Hot Toys knows what they're doing in terms of edition sizes and production, it's not like there's too many older IM releases that are still available that I can think of. For the most part they are sold out everywhere with a handful popping in stock at certain retailers sporadically. You may be right, there may come a day where they vastly overestimate the demand for their product and hurt them financially.
Hot Toys does have the pre-order system on their side, so they can obviously use that to gauge demand. But it was almost overnight that they doubled the number of Iron Man 3 figures they were offering, so that could come back to bite them in the ***. We didn't know there'd be a dozen figures to choose from when we pre-ordered Iron Patriot back in March; I can imagine a lot of order cancellations for War Machine, Iron Patriot, Workshop Tony Stark and the Mark 42 as people free up funds and shelf space for the Silver Centarion, Heartbreaker Mechanic Tony Stark, etc.

The way I see it, there's only a certain number of people who have the interest and the expendable income to collect $250 movie dolls, but their expendable income isn't limitless and neither is their shelf space; by making over a dozen figures from a single license, Hot Toys is competing with themselves at this point.

I didn't like the character in the movie, so I am not buying it. I am getting the Mk 42 and silver Centarion. I canceled Iron Patriot. I make a lot of money, but over spending on these is getting ridiculous. I have drawn the line and have decided to pick and choose what I buy from Hot Toys. I feel a sense of relief to finally have broken my addiction to Hot Toys.

Back