Hot Toys Justice League Superman

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May I ask why ppl are obsessed with ''light'' superman? I was born in 90th so I have no nostalgia about old movies, for me it is unwatchable, sorry not sorry. Comic books very often were pretty much dark and what made me fall in love with that character was Snyder... who actually gave him some emotional layers and sense. I absolutely hated JL version of him, it was so forced and out of place. I believe Snyder cut still includes Superman I love. Anyway if they are going to make MOS2 I hope they will keep and balance the tone.

I agree. Idk what it is for other people, but most of the DC comics I've read are pretty dark, including Superman. And I used to buy all the Super titles up until about a 2 years ago (just not enough space for them all). Was there hope in them? Sure. But in no way in the last 25+ years did I ever feel like I was reading a comic that resembled the Reeve movies. Heck even the Fleischer cartoons are pretty dark until the very end when Clark smiles at the viewer after Lois asks where he's been or compares him to Superman. I mean DC literally had the problem of Superman being too light which is why they did the the "What's So Funny about Truth, Justice and the American Way?" run.

I like Reeve for what he did in Superman 1 and 2 (Richard Donner Cut) but, I honestly don't want Cavill to completely light hearted about everything. They tried to make more Reeve like superman movies with Superman Returns (and potential sequels) and look what happened... majorities didn't like it.

I liked all of Cavill's slightly lighter dialogue in JL (which wasn't much to begin with) to the "Is this guy still bothering you?" line...everything after that (mostly his dialogue with Batman and Cyborg) and the resurrection lines were horrible.

It’s not necessarily light in terms of humor or anything. It’s that Superman stands for something for a lot of people. A testament to nature vs nurture. He’s a character who can do ANYTHING, and chooses to be a hero. An alien who respects humanity more than most humanity does. And amidst everything he does, he acts like a guy who came from a farm in Kansas. He’s optimistic sometimes to the point of naievity, as Batman likes to point out, and really represents the best in humanity.

That being said ... I’ve enjoyed Snyder’s take in trying to get him there. I like the arc he’s got so far, starting in Smallville. A lot of people were shocked by some of Jonathan Kent’s attitudes, that maybe he should’ve let Pete die. I appreciated this from the viewpoint of a parent, in that he’s afraid what will happen to his son if his secret gets out. But yet, he still knows he’s destined to become something greater. Can you imagine the epic feeling of responsibility in having to raise a child that will become the most powerful being in the world?

I enjoy that both MoS and BvS focused on Superman kind of finding his place. He’s met with skepticism and proponents and detractors, much as he would be were he to arrive in our world. And he’s struggling to find his place in that.

I’m so relieved that that will supposedly be paid off in Snyder’s Justice League. We got glimpses of it in Whedon’s film, but I’m much more interested in Snyder finishing his arc.

It?s not necessarily light in terms of humor or anything. It?s that Superman stands for something for a lot of people. A testament to nature vs nurture. He?s a character who can do ANYTHING, and chooses to be a hero. An alien who respects humanity more than most humanity does. And amidst everything he does, he acts like a guy who came from a farm in Kansas. He?s optimistic sometimes to the point of naievity, as Batman likes to point out, and really represents the best in humanity.

That being said ... I?ve enjoyed Snyder?s take in trying to get him there. I like the arc he?s got so far, starting in Smallville. A lot of people were shocked by some of Jonathan Kent?s attitudes, that maybe he should?ve let Pete die. I appreciated this from the viewpoint of a parent, in that he?s afraid what will happen to his son if his secret gets out. But yet, he still knows he?s destined to become something greater. Can you imagine the epic feeling of responsibility in having to raise a child that will become the most powerful being in the world?

I enjoy that both MoS and BvS focused on Superman kind of finding his place. He?s met with skepticism and proponents and detractors, much as he would be were he to arrive in our world. And he?s struggling to find his place in that.

I?m so relieved that that will supposedly be paid off in Snyder?s Justice League. We got glimpses of it in Whedon?s film, but I?m much more interested in Snyder finishing his arc.

My exact thoughts as well.

That “Must there be a Superman?” montage in BvS I felt was a very good way to depict this because in today’s convoluted and more divided world where almost everything is political, that’s how he’d be received. And I like the fact that in that montage, one person made the remark “maybe he’s just a guy trying to do the right thing,” which was the case.

That montage basically buttressed what Jonathan Kent’s position was in MoS, because he knew Clark would be received this way. A young Clark would in no way be able to shoulder this burden, which Jonathan knew. He knew he was here for a reason and was destined to be a beacon of hope for this world, but in order to get there, he first had to be able to take the flings and arrows per se and was going to have to go through a period of introspection.

Despite the extremely dark tone of especially BvS, the essence of the character Superman and what he’s supposed to stand for I felt was still present beneath the layers and themes they imparted on his character. It just wasn’t as straight forward and imo simplistic as Reeve’s Superman, from a simpler time.

Stop it, you guys are making too much sense!
:rotfl

I couldn't agree more with your assessment of Superman in Snyder's movies, I loved the character and the struggles he faces. Let's hope we get more Superman movies with Cavill.

I like Reeve for what he did in Superman 1 and 2 (Richard Donner Cut) but, I honestly don't want Cavill to completely light hearted about everything. They tried to make more Reeve like superman movies with Superman Returns (and potential sequels) and look what happened... majorities didn't like it.

I'd argue SR failed because it lacked action - it was boring in large parts. Not because it had the Donner/Reeve tone.

I don't remember Superman being dark in the comics I've read. Maybe New 52 but thankfully Rebirth brought the old Supes back.

The world around him can be as dark as you can imagine but Superman himself should always be that beacon of light. Patty Jenkins got that balance better with Wonder Woman than Zack did with MoS in my opinion.

Whedon's Superman sucked because it was so terribly written not because he smiled.

Stop it, you guys are making too much sense!
:rotfl

I couldn't agree more with your assessment of Superman in Snyder's movies, I loved the character and the struggles he faces. Let's hope we get more Superman movies with Cavill.

Yes I agree as well. I love BvS extended edition, it's there to watch any time and we won with the JL Snyder Cut. It's coming too.

I'm sure Cavill will get something more as Superman. He wouldn't have turned up in the Snyder reveal if he wasn't.

So exciting !!!

I asked this earlier and didn?t get a response.

The light up attachment only took two batteries for it to work. The figure came with three. Does it need all three or the two will be just fine?

I only ask because i don?t want to risk damaging the light.

Cavill will get another solo Superman film. He has proved himself with the success of Witcher--the most watched first season of a tv series ever for Netflix, which in turn is by far the most successful entertainment vehicle ever to exist (nearly doubling Disney's revenue in second place, even with all of Disney's billion dollar films). Henry is sitting pretty right now. He's one of the marquee characters for a franchise that's white hot right now, i.e., the rebirthed Snyderverse on HBO Max. They'll pay Henry what he asks, find a story and director that he likes, and we'll get an outstanding film.

I wouldn't rule out a HBO Max tv miniseries for Henry's Superman either.

I think the entire Snyderverse... moving forward now with ZSJL and the Ayer Cut of SS... will appear exclusively on HBO Max first. This is not to say that we won't at some point see it also get a theater run. But this is like a magnetic pole shift from streaming first, to theater run second.

I think he played the game right. He won't appear in anything or budge from the role because he wants it, he just wants control now over how he's portrayed which I think is complete fair game. He's great for the role. I think the divisive take of him becoming Superman is in the past now and going forward he's able to put the charm full on and be the Superman people expect him to be.

I wouldn't be surprised if he does some free extra shooting for Snyder for the JL to get some more of this in there. The fact that he showed up to the watch party with Snyder shows their great relationship.

I think he played the game exceptionally. With all the rumours at the same time as Affleck had his of leaving the role as a vie for more control and more money from the studio, given how successful he had just been in MI and the upcoming Witcher... and now that that's been incredibly successful he's got great footing

Despite the extremely dark tone of especially BvS, the essence of the character Superman and what he?s supposed to stand for I felt was still present beneath the layers and themes they imparted on his character. It just wasn?t as straight forward and imo simplistic as Reeve?s Superman, from a simpler time.

Eh, I absolutely loved his portrayal in MOS, but BVS just made the character a little too grim and serious for my taste, especially coming after the growth we saw at the end of the previous movie when he seemed to have become more confident about his role in the world. In BVS he just looked utterly miserable throughout, and barely spoke to anyone or acted friendly in public like you would expect him to, and so people could actually warm up to him. Instead Snyder just kept him as this enigmatic "savior" figure in order to justify why Batman might hate and mistrust him so much, and eventually want to kill him. And it all just felt so contrived to me.

I certainly thought JL took things too far in the other direction, making him way too jokey and lighthearted, but it was still nice to see him crack a smile and hopefully the next movie will let us see that friendlier side of the character again.

I could certainly see how that would be the case for a lot of people feeling that way, completely understandable. Although it worked for me personally.

You mentioned that at the end of MoS, he was confident about his role in the world. While I understand what you’re saying, for me personally I’m not so sure if I’d call it confident and already sure of what his role in the world is, as much as I would sanguine. The perception I got in that segue from MoS to BvS was that being that he felt what he did in stopping Zod from terraforming Earth was ultimately a good thing, everyone would just basically love him and consider him a savior and a hero. I don’t think the magnitude of the destruction that fight caused had really sank in with him yet until the fallout from it caused people to be skeptical of him. This revelation is what haunted him throughout BvS, that no matter what he did, despite him just trying to help, bad things still happened and he’d get blamed for it. I recall Snyder saying that Day of the Dead scene where all the people in the skeleton masks were reaching out to him, as if pulling him down, was supposed to be imagery that reflected the internal struggle going on within him in the sense that he was being haunted by all of the lives he couldn’t save in MoS during the battle with Zod.

I actually didn’t mind his demeanor in JL as much as I did Batman’s. I felt they really tried to push his character as being more humorous when it just felt completely out of character for him.

I think what a lot of people are missing (and perhaps even Zach couldn't really convey this as it was not possible at the time). But his vision was that Superman goes through like a multi film arc. MoS, BvS, JL 1, another stand alone movie, JL2 and maybe 3 ??.

MoS was the origin story and coming of age
BvS was coming to grips with the real world. It is not all rainbows and unicorns. If you are powerful people are out to get you, no matter what you do. Dealing with that is not so uplifting.
The rest of the arc covers him getting to the Superman in bright blue that many seem to only want and understand.

He needs to go through tough times for it to pay off in the end.

In this way it is far deeper and has major character building rather than the standard "Superman grows up in Kansas, works at the Daily planet and fights bad guy at the end of the film" scenario.

But in any case it's coming, and I hope Cavill gets his post Snyder Justice League so he can get to the final chapter for Superman, and maybe another Justice League chapter too.

I think what a lot of people are missing (and perhaps even Zach couldn't really convey this as it was not possible at the time). But his vision was that Superman goes through like a multi film arc. MoS, BvS, JL 1, another stand alone movie, JL2 and maybe 3 ??.

BvS was coming to grips with the real world. It is not all rainbows and unicorns. If you are powerful people are out to get you, no matter what you do. Dealing with that is not so uplifting.
The rest of the arc covers him getting to the Superman in bright blue that many seem to only want and understand.

In this way it is far deeper and has major character building rather than the standard "Superman grows up in Kansas, works at the Daily planet and fights bad guy at the end of the film" scenario.

But in any case it's coming, and I hope Cavill gets his post Snyder Justice League so he can get to the final chapter for Superman, and maybe another Justice League chapter too.

This is really well said and makes a ton of sense. Good job!

Yes, exactly. And I actually like how the hue of the suit actually reflected these growing periods for him. MoS suit was sort of a mixture of the BvS and JL hue, BvS was darker, and JL was light.

What I absolutely hated in BvS was the courtroom scene. First the idea of putting Supes on trial is really interesting and funny. Something the comics would do. Like 'Thanks for saving me, oh btw Summons!' It could've been a really cute scene with them cross examining him. Maybe he has a court appointed lawyer and its their first day and they're not ready. I actually wanted to watch the trail but then Zack has to turn it into a bloodbath. (nothing against bloodbaths they're fine when they make sense) But Superman would have never never (never) let that bomb go off. Full stop. That was just factually inaccurate. Does not compute. It defies the rules of the character. It broke the movie. He would have detected that bomb. Even if the wheelchair was made out of lead, that would've just made it more suspicious. 'Hmm thats odd, that wheelchair is made out of lead. Probably something they don't want me to s-its a bomb.' For him not to have had that thought is inexplicable. Even if he was distracted by the questioning :)cuckoo: ) he would have heard the chemical reactions or smelled them. Or he would sense that Lex's heart rate was too high. There is no explanation. No excuse. You couldn't convince a 5 year old to believe this. Its just bull ****. And they don't even try to justify it in the movie. Like oh.....it was a cloudy day. He had a cold. There was Kryptonite in the courtroom. Nothing.

What should've happened is, Superman grabs the wheelchair with the guy in it, flies through the roof, pulls the guy out of the chair and throws the chair up right before it goes off. Then the guy tells the police that Lex Luthor gave him the chair. Lex gets arrested. Bats and Supes have a picnic. Thats the only logical outcome. Theres only 3 possible reasons for the scene to play out the way it did: 1) Hes not really Superman, he doesn't have all of his powers. 2) Professor X is there and he psychically masked Superman's senses so he doesn't notice anything. But why would Professor X do that? or 3) And it really seems like this is what they're implying- Superman detects the bomb...and decides to do nothing. Just to be a jerk.

Also I think that trial was called because they accused Superman of killing those hostages at the start of the movie. But the hostages were shot, Superman doesn't use a gun, why would anyone assume Superman did that? It doesn't make any sense. And the whole thing with Flash traveling through time and then going inside Batman dream. I didn't know Flash could do that. Those are 2 very different powers. I don't know if that was bad editing or Zack just making **** up but its another example of a blatant disregard for the rules of the characters.

What I absolutely hated in BvS was the courtroom scene. First the idea of putting Supes on trial is really interesting and funny. Something the comics would do. Like 'Thanks for saving me, oh btw Summons!' It could've been a really cute scene with them cross examining him. Maybe he has a court appointed lawyer and its their first day and they're not ready. I actually wanted to watch the trail but then Zack has to turn it into a bloodbath. (nothing against bloodbaths they're fine when they make sense) But Superman would have never never (never) let that bomb go off. Full stop. That was just factually inaccurate. Does not compute. It defies the rules of the character. It broke the movie. He would have detected that bomb. Even if the wheelchair was made out of lead, that would've just made it more suspicious. 'Hmm thats odd, that wheelchair is made out of lead. Probably something they don't want me to s-its a bomb.' For him not to have had that thought is inexplicable. Even if he was distracted by the questioning :)cuckoo: ) he would have heard the chemical reactions or smelled them. Or he would sense that Lex's heart rate was too high. There is no explanation. No excuse. You couldn't convince a 5 year old to believe this. Its just bull ****. And they don't even try to justify it in the movie. Like oh.....it was a cloudy day. He had a cold. There was Kryptonite in the courtroom. Nothing.

What should've happened is, Superman grabs the wheelchair with the guy in it, flies through the roof, pulls the guy out of the chair and throws the chair up right before it goes off. Then the guy tells the police that Lex Luthor gave him the chair. Lex gets arrested. Bats and Supes have a picnic. Thats the only logical outcome. Theres only 3 possible reasons for the scene to play out the way it did: 1) Hes not really Superman, he doesn't have all of his powers. 2) Professor X is there and he psychically masked Superman's senses so he doesn't notice anything. But why would Professor X do that? or 3) And it really seems like this is what they're implying- Superman detects the bomb...and decides to do nothing. Just to be a jerk.

Also I think that trial was called because they accused Superman of killing those hostages at the start of the movie. But the hostages were shot, Superman doesn't use a gun, why would anyone assume Superman did that? It doesn't make any sense. And the whole thing with Flash traveling through time and then going inside Batman dream. I didn't know Flash could do that. Those are 2 very different powers. I don't know if that was bad editing or Zack just making **** up but its another example of a blatant disregard for the rules of the characters.

Have you seen the director’s cut? This is all explained much better. It may have been in the theatrical version as well but I haven’t seen it since the theater since it’s pretty bad and REALLY doesn’t make any sense. Anyway, the wheelchair used for the bomb was lead-lined.

Also the Flash time-travel scene was to be paid off in later films.

Last edited:

Dude im sorry but you're dumb, all of your questions is answered by the movie itself.
Pay attention while watching the movie and you will understand the answer for all your questions

Back