Hot Toys Justice League Superman

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My relationship with Hot Toys was born from DC movies. Looks like that's how its gonna die.

I wish Hot Toys would just give up certain licenses like DC, so another company could take a shot at it. Only problem is I'd have no idea who. Dam Toys seems to make quality stuff, Blitzway seems about average, and I don't want Threezero anywhere near it.

Imagine a full Watchmen line, new Brandon Routh Superman, and characters that HT ignored like Faora from MOS.

I wish Hot Toys would just give up certain licenses like DC, so another company could take a shot at it. Only problem is I'd have no idea who. Dam Toys seems to make quality stuff, Blitzway seems about average, and I don't want Threezero anywhere near it.

Imagine a full Watchmen line, new Brandon Routh Superman, and characters that HT ignored like Faora from MOS.

ENTERBAY.

Unfortunately the figures are tied to the movie popularity as I'm sure you know. As much as people like the designs and characters...if the movies suck, they're just not going to buy (or cancel their pre-order to spend their cash elsewhere or on the "next version" of the character). Another company taking the DC license would probably struggle with it and do the exact same thing Hot Toys is doing. There was one point when there were like three companies (Hot Toys, Medicom, and Enterbay) all doing 'The Dark Knight' figures and look who came on top there...Hot Toys. Is Enterbay even still around?

WB has been tanking the DC movies...so the likelihood of any of the figures you mentioned is slim-to-none...especially if the movies aren't favored "fondly". I do see there being a SLIM chance of a new Routh Superman, but the reason for that is because that figure was one of the ones that put Hot Toys on the map many years ago (along with their Colonial Marines and AVP stuff...and they have revisited the Predators and ALIENS figures and made 2.0 versions). So it might be viewed favorably by the company.

What's strange is if popularity is what Hot Toys watches then maybe they could open the internet once in a while to see that Aquaman is the highest grossing DC film and top 20 of all time, hugely popular and people want more. Wonder Woman is the same. The fact that every Cavill Superman and Affleck Batman Hot Toy figure has sold out worldwide shows there's demand and popularity. If they still had warehouses full of BvS Supes and Bats I'd understand, but those sold like crazy. So popularity isn't an excuse.
It's the same attitude film critics have adopted, because Marvel is "popular" every new franchisethat has come out (Alita a perfect example, Venom another) gets ripped to shreds and compared to Marvel while the audiences are like "Umm no you're wrong we love this not everything has to be Marvel". So they're trying to cater to a popular opinion that isn't there. Hot Toys keeps flooding the market with Iron Men and Stormtroopers meanwhile every single post on social media is FILLED with disappointed customers wants variety.

[...]Hot Toys keeps flooding the market with Iron Men and Stormtroopers meanwhile every single post on social media is FILLED with disappointed customers wants variety.

I love Iron Man and Stormtroopers, but I agree -- there's a lot more they could do and they would be a much more interesting company, and probably get more of my money. I'm almost done with those properties and there's nothing left to catch my wallet. Sure, there are possibilities down the road, but Hot Toys could do so much more with other licenses right now.

They're like a band I used to really love -- and now they're huge and I'm watching them lose their edge. :dunno

I honestly don't know why people are that upset. We're going to get it we just have to wait a little bit longer. What's the rush so you could take pictures for two or three days and then it being a detolf for years. Be more upset about the things that we haven't gotten like Rorschach, Faora, Shazam, Black Manta and King orm. It's a travesty that hot toys made a Agent Coulson and Agent Hill and five different black widows but yeah we still don't have a Shazam or a Black Manta or Mera at least

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

I honestly don't know why people are that upset. We're going to get it we just have to wait a little bit longer. What's the rush so you could take pictures for two or three days and then it being a detolf for years. Be more upset about the things that we haven't gotten like Rorschach, Faora, Shazam, Black Manta and King orm. It's a travesty that hot toys made a Agent Coulson and Agent Hill and five different black widows but yeah we still don't have a Shazam or a Black Manta or Mera at least

Or 85 different variations of iron man

Or 85 different variations of iron man

Lol, it’s not 85 it’s actually 76 which includes all variations, repaints, reissues, diecast remakes, 1/4 and War Machines.

Wow, that’s quite a bit out of the 524 figures made/announced! If you break it down though, especially considering how popular IM is (especially in Asia) it actually is just under 15% of their lineup.

Oh I'm way more upset that they haven't announced Mera and Black Manta. Shazam will come but the pattern for DC is they announce it AFTER the movie is release as opposed to Marvel who announce it weeks before the movie is released. How there is no Mera is beyond me. More people want her than a weird re-coloured Wonder Woman.

Oh I'm way more upset that they haven't announced Mera and Black Manta. Shazam will come but the pattern for DC is they announce it AFTER the movie is release as opposed to Marvel who announce it weeks before the movie is released. How there is no Mera is beyond me. More people want her than a weird re-coloured Wonder Woman.

It all comes back to movie success. How many flops have Marvel had recently ? Zero. I'm a DC fan, and love BvS Ext edition and Mon of Steel. Justice League was a disappointment due to all the Snyder related debarcle. But for many, these were not seen as good movies. So companies like HT put them as second priority.

As a pure business operator with no vested interest in any franchise, what would you do ? Make and sell toys with the franchise that is winning or one that will have limited sales ? Unfortunately that's what it comes down to.

I think the biggest problem recently is that Marvel is releasing 2 Avengers movies in consecutive years.

Any time a solo movie gets released, they might produce 2 or 3 figures so there is more time to work on multiple projects, but when you release a team movie, now you're talking 10 -12 (or more) figures for that movie. Combine that with another Avengers move 1 year later and you have a mad scramble to get all the figures released from IW before Endgame hits. Something has to give and in this case, it's the JL line.

Once all the IW figures are released, I think things will get back to normal.

On a side note, DC isn't the only ones suffering from this. Reports on some of the Marvel threads talk of QC issues and sub par sculpt work on production figures possibly due to the accelerated release schedule.

I think the biggest problem recently is that Marvel is releasing 2 Avengers movies in consecutive years.

Any time a solo movie gets released, they might produce 2 or 3 figures so there is more time to work on multiple projects, but when you release a team movie, now you're talking 10 -12 (or more) figures for that movie. Combine that with another Avengers move 1 year later and you have a mad scramble to get all the figures released from IW before Endgame hits. Something has to give and in this case, it's the JL line.

Once all the IW figures are released, I think things will get back to normal.

On a side note, DC isn't the only ones suffering from this. Reports on some of the Marvel threads talk of QC issues and sub par sculpt work on production figures possibly due to the accelerated release schedule.

Yeah I heard about those QC issues. Maybe they should start the whole process much earlier. I've always found it a bit of buzz kill to get figures a year or more after a movie releases. Ideally they can release figures closer to a movies release without sacrificing quality.

[...]As a pure business operator with no vested interest in any franchise, what would you do ? Make and sell toys with the franchise that is winning or one that will have limited sales ? Unfortunately that's what it comes down to.

Some of the decisions Hot Toys appears to make as a company follow seemingly obvious market forces logic. Sometimes they're a little weird and inexplicable, which I assume may come down to less obvious things like factory time, skilled labour, licenses and schedules etc.

Looking at my wants list, there's not that much...

- JL Superman MMS465 ——— depending on final product.
- Captain Marvel MMS522 ——— that's a 'maybe' based on film and final product.
- FFH Spider-Man ——— no solicit but it will surely get made.
- Wonder Woman ’84 ——— no solicit, will likely get made but hard pass if they miss the likeness again.

Waiting on Strange, Black Panther, R2D2, Spider-Man Advanced Suit and diecast Mark VII.

After that...yes, the odd thing is going to pop up from time to time, but without interesting or quirky properties outside of the big ones they've been mining, I don't really see what else I would want on my shelves, unless we start talking about stuff that doesn't exist yet or will likely never get made.

Maybe there's an end in sight, if they don't do something out of left field.

Back