Hot Toys Justice League Superman

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish they kept the same design they used from the proto they had at SDCC. I really liked that one more. It had the bigger crest and the suit colors and appearance look way better than what Sideshow has on the site. Don't get me wrong, I am still buying, but it is something that has been bugging me for the past year.

Hot toys for sure has DC on the back burner

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Agreed and it is a shame. I think the Upcoming Releases picture from 12/31/18 says it all--7 new releases shown, 4 on the right are all Marvel and have been released in the span of 43 days while the other 3 all received delay notices. :mad:

Attachments

• HTUpcoming.jpg
    HTUpcoming.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 150
Re: speculations about the delay possibly being in order to feature a JL accurate head sculpt, I really doubt it as this is what they were showing at Tokyo Comic-con only two months ago (see at 1:40):

Here's the link for the bookmark: https://youtu.be/Mn32GHpydmE?t=1m40s

This is strictly a matter of personal taste but I actually wasn't crazy about the way Henry's hair laid parted on the other side in JL. For me, the stern looking BvS head sculpt gives him the gravitas that matched the vibe of the character in BvS. To get that repainted and a brighter, warmer colored suit is exactly what I'm looking for. It's an amalgamation of BvS and JL in a sense. And honestly, until I see the Snyder cut (and we will see it eventually) I'm reserving judgment on how Superman is depicted in JL. I'm not loving anything I saw in Josstice League. But that's a subjective taste thing, so please appreciate it as such. If others loved the theater release of JL fwiw they have my respect. Who am I to tell someone else what should strike a chord with them?

Re: speculations about the delay possibly being in order to feature a JL accurate head sculpt, I really doubt it as this is what they were showing at Tokyo Comic-con only two months ago (see at 1:40):

Here's the link for the bookmark: https://youtu.be/Mn32GHpydmE?t=1m40s

This is strictly a matter of personal taste but I actually wasn't crazy about the way Henry's hair laid parted on the other side in JL. For me, the stern looking BvS head sculpt gives him the gravitas that matched the vibe of the character in BvS. To get that repainted and a brighter, warmer colored suit is exactly what I'm looking for. It's an alamgamantion of BvS and JL in a sense. And honestly, until I see the Snyder cut (and we will see it eventually) I'm reserving judgment on how Superman is depicted in JL. I'm not loving anything I saw in Josstice League. But that's a subjective taste thing, so please appreciate it as such. If others loved the theater release of JL fwiw they have my respect. Who am I to tell someone else what should strike a chord with them?

Its funny, I didnt hate the theatre release of JL at the time. I saw it 4 times BUT now I realize I think I was in such denial about the direction it took and I'd spent so long staunchly defending BvS and Man of Steel (which I adore) that I was a bit blinded by my own fandom.
I bought it on bluray but hadn't watched it again until about 2 weeks ago. And let me tell you, time + all the snippets/screenshots/clips/comments by cast and crew of things Snyder included that got cut did not help the film age at all. The movie has good moments, GREAT moments in fact. And I stand by my statement at the time that if this movie were an animated film people would love it. But in terms of what was set up compared to what we got... eeep. Makes me want to cry. I still can't believe they haven't released the Snyder cut. At this rate I wonder if it will take as long as the Donner cut.

Between the league. Everything else was meh. I was too like the post above me, I was in love with the movie. When it came to home video I watched it maybe twice.

I must of watched a different movie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same movie, just differing opinions.

Between the league. Everything else was meh. I was too like the post above me, I was in love with the movie. When it came to home video I watched it maybe twice.

Yeah, when I first saw it, I thought it was good. It’s still an enjoyable film for what it is, but I rank it only above Suicide Squad (which isn’t difficult to do) on my personal list of DCEU films. The only thing I’ve watched lately of it is the clip on YouTube of Superman handing the entire JL their collective asses.

Yeah I agree with @benjiman and @SilverStar17 that when I first saw JL in the theater I kind of liked it. But when I learned about what we could have gotten it kind of left a hollow feeling. And the five film arc that Kevin Smith described several weeks ago? Damn.

JL 1 - Snyder cut more or less of the basic story we saw in Josstice League but with a boom tube opening at the end and a reveal of Darkseid (who kills Steppenwolf). Well, actually, story also significantly different from Josstice League as well. And tone still much more like BvS than wanna-be-The Avengers.

JL 2 - JL goes cosmic and takes the fight to the Fourth World universe. Lanterns involved. JL gets their asses handed to them. Think Empire Strikes Back, The Two Towers, Infinity War.

JL 3 - Darkseid ravages earth per Bruce's vision in BvS. Batman gives his life to kill Darkseid. Somehow Lois is the key to resetting the whole timeline to avoid it all taking place. Clark and Lois have a child and name him Bruce.

That is epic AF.

Plus had WB left writers and directors alone we probably would have had a standalone Batman film starring and directed by Ben Affleck. Yes, Ben was going through some serious stuff at that time, so maybe not. But I think the straw that broke the camel's back was Geoff Johns didn't like his script and kept meddling with it. That was mainly coming from a place of WB feeling that everything had to be "course corrected" based on the critical response to BvS and it failing to make $1B.

It’s a bummer that this universe has little to no direction at the moment. I personally think it would have been cool to see Orm/Ocean Master reappear as the JL2 villain. They sort of set it up nicely in Aquaman, with him wanting to take over the surface world in the first place.

There was never to be three films. Only two then it shrank to one. I think Kevin Smith was fed ********.

The story has been around for a while. Jay Oliva broke it first. Oliva drew the storyboards for BvS and reported he had lots of discussions with Snyder about the five film plan. He's also a director in his own right.

But yes, in the wake of the poor reception to BvS the studio intervened and that plan was changed.

It’s a bummer that this universe has little to no direction at the moment. I personally think it would have been cool to see Orm/Ocean Master reappear as the JL2 villain. They sort of set it up nicely in Aquaman, with him wanting to take over the surface world in the first place.

I think they do have a plan but they're playing it close to the vest for now.

Ezra Miller just recently shared that the Flash solo film is definitely in development, and in so doing he mentioned that they are going a kind "multiverse" route. (Which matches the rebranding of "Worlds of DC" from the unofficial name of "DC Extended Universe" or DCEU that everyone has been using.)

Ezra says that the multiverses will however be connected by the speedster characters that use the speed force. So whereas the MCU is one big story, the Worlds of DC will be more like pocket planes or independent worlds that stand alone but are in fact connected.

I think this is fascinating because it actually leaves open what Snyder started. And if the Snyder cut ever gets released it can be part of all this. Just one part of many. But it will sort of validate it, in a way.

And I know by all indications Ben Affleck seems to be done. But it does leave the door open for a return. I found it intriguing that for Ben's "official statement" on Jimmy Kimmel he posed it as a question: "I dunno... I guess it means... I'm not Batman?" And then they had fun by retiring his cape/jersey. How many sports legends have unretired? (A bunch.) Anyway, it would be neat to see him reappear within this whole framework. If he finally gets a script he loves, why not?

No I concur that them not doing things the Marvel way is part of the reason why I like the DCEU. They don’t have to follow their format. But nobody knowing what Superman’s status is, Batfleck for all intents and purposes being out, and all these side films planned for what are pretty much B characters, can’t portend well for the future of the franchise. Don’t get me wrong, I hope this franchise succeeds because on a film by film basis, I like the majority of the DCEU films over the MCU ones, but where they’re going with this is a bit nebulous right now. It seems like they’re making it up as they go along.

Just throw us some Doom Patrol figures meanwhile. I would love to have those freaks.

No I concur that them not doing things the Marvel way is part of the reason why I like the DCEU. They don’t have to follow their format. But nobody knowing what Superman’s status is, Batfleck for all intents and purposes being out, and all these side films planned for what are pretty much B characters, can’t portend well for the future of the franchise. Don’t get me wrong, I hope this franchise succeeds because on a film by film basis, I like the majority of the DCEU films over the MCU ones, but where they’re going with this is a bit nebulous right now. It seems like they’re making it up as they go along.

Can't disagree with anything you say here. It's bizarre to me that they're putting projects like... and I sh&t you not... Super Pets (!)... and The Trench... a one-off indie Joker origin... Harley Quinn and the B-listers in BoP ... ahead of marquee characters of Superman and Batman.

Heck, even Aquaman and Shazam for that matter.

Can't disagree with anything you say here. It's bizarre to me that they're putting projects like... and I sh&t you not... Super Pets (!)... and The Trench... a one-off indie Joker origin... Harley Quinn and the B-listers in BoP ... ahead of marquee characters of Superman and Batman.

Reeves Batman will go ahead though and everthing the man has said fills me with optimism for that movie.

It looks like it's Superman that will miss out again. Still not had a legitimately great movie since 1978! How WB fails to make the most of this truly iconic character is just beyond me.

We'll probably get Supergirl instead now and I really don't care about her. At least Powergirl somewhat has her own identity instead of just being a female copy of Supes.

I like Harley but it frustrates me Catwoman is still not a priority for WB. There are few more compelling characters in either Marvel or DC. Is the memory of the awful Halle Berry movie still the issue?

For WB to make a movie about the Trench creatures before MOS gets a sequel is a complete joke. Same goes for Batman, really. Still doesn't have a solo movie yet, after all the developmental hell it went through, but they can sure churn out Suicide Squad and plan for sequels and spin offs of that.

Shazam would have been the perfect opportunity for Superman to get some major screen time. Adapt that origin story from the comics where Superman is furious at the Wizard for giving Billy Batson his powers and the Wizard suggests that Clark can give him a guiding hand.

Reeves Batman will go ahead though and everthing the man has said fills me with optimism for that movie.

It looks like it's Superman that will miss out again. Still not had a legitimately great movie since 1978! How WB fails to make the most of this truly iconic character is just beyond me.

We'll probably get Supergirl instead now and I really don't care about her. At least Powergirl somewhat has her own identity instead of just being a female copy of Supes.

I like Harley but it frustrates me Catwoman is still not a priority for WB. There are few more compelling characters in either Marvel or DC. Is the memory of the awful Halle Berry movie still the issue?

I love Man of Steel in part because it is roughy in a deconstructionist vein same as BvS and Watchmen, implicitly asking 'if superheroes existed for real and actually inhabited our real world, would that acctually be a good thing? Is that something we would really want?' Etc. Because MoS is more of a first contact scf-fi film about an extraterrestrial living among us and an alien invasion than it is about the traditional Superman character from the comics. I think the Black Zero event is a metaphor for humankind exerperiencing a psychological shock in learning it is not alone in the universe, the trauma of that paradigm shift. But anyway it's because of this layer of meaning that, for me, personally, I actually love the film much, much more than the 1978 Reeves film. Snyder commented once that earlier depictions of Superman in film annd television reflected an American identity that is an "apple pie and Chevrolet, American Dream in a weird way" sort of vision and personally I agree. MoS and BvS are the collision of postmodernism with that sensibility that what society tells you is absolute truth can be trusted, that the world can easily be made sense of, right and wrong are simple, etc.

I'm hopeful for the Matt Reeves trilogy, but I do find it hard to accept that WB reportedly kept messing with Ben Affleck's script for his own solo Batman film to the degree that he walked. And Reeves I'm sure doesn't deserve this from me, but WB bringing him on board to revamp Batman reminds me of them bringing Whedon aboard to reshoot Justice League. I absolutely loved the 'fallen' older TDKR inspired Batman that Affleck portrayed, and wanted to see him finish out the 5 film arc that was originally planned for him, plus his own solo film. Intellectually I can understand that we're going to see a new Batman with the Reeves trilogy. But it bugs me that I won't see my favorite Batman continue. And emotionally, unfortunately that may sour me somewhat to the Reeves trilogy.

Back