Hot Toys John Wick

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loose parts available at Monkey Depot. I just got some loose coins, a coin stack, an extra HK pistol, 1 each extra marker, (open and closed) and.....an extra set of hands to JW3.

Need to find a good watch...JW had a watch on and it will hide the hand joint nicely for that gun in hold position nicely...shame it was not included at all.

Got mine today. My first impression right out of the box was that something was "off" on the headsculpt, that is to say it seemed like either his nose was too big or they didn't age him as much as they should have (he looked more like he did in Bram Stoker's Dracula than John Wick). Thing is though, after looking at him from every angle and putting all the different guns in his hands and posing him up and then looking at some pictures from the movie, I can TOTALLY see how fantastic the headsculpt really is (one of Hot Toys best). It might take you a bit of time to see it (about ten to twenty minutes for me) but once you do, you'll be blown away. Forgive the vanilla poses, I'll do something more dynamic with him down the line.
3e4d75f092a7a86458b03e56cb896c45.jpg
dfd79eba604cb8be8995593a0368a271.jpg
48927ec502394338ad88233ecef9011e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Got mine yesterday. Is anyone else finding the articulation in the arms really difficult? Just getting a straight forward arm pose seems very restricted; I think it may be the triple layering of the coat, vest, and shirt working against each other. Maybe I’m just overly cautious, but wanted to see how others were finding it.

Other than that, it’s a gorgeous fig. I agree the sculpt is much better in person.

Got mine yesterday. Is anyone else finding the articulation in the arms really difficult? Just getting a straight forward arm pose seems very restricted; I think it may be the triple layering of the coat, vest, and shirt working against each other. Maybe I’m just overly cautious, but wanted to see how others were finding it.

Other than that, it’s a gorgeous fig. I agree the sculpt is much better in person.

I had this problem as well. I ended up removing the jacket to see if I could get them to move and/or loosen up and it seems to have done the trick. It's still somewhat difficult with the jacket on, but not impossible like it was before.

I seen reviews where it looks really difficult to raise those arms and others where they rotate forward with relative ease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I seen reviews where it looks really difficult to raise those arms and others where they rotate forward with relative ease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had the same issue with hot toys The Wolverine. It gradually worked itself out but articulation in the arms was never completely smooth because of the tailored suit and jacket

I got mine from Sideshow and it was delivered today. Did they sell out of their initial stock? Just checked and it’s still listed as a pre-order...

I called them a couple days ago. They said they have all their stock but the preorder status has to be updated. Ordered mine and was shipped the same day.

Got mine today. This is honestly the first time I’ve gotten a figure and been pretty underwhelmed, almost disappointed, by it. If you’re gonna sell a figure of a dude in a suit, the headsculpt to me should be top tier. This one . . . isn’t. It’s not bad, but Keanu/John has pretty distinctive facial hair and it’s far too light and just looks like generic five o’clock shadow as opposed to having the points that come up to the side of his mustache. He just looks like he has a Van Dyke. Also the likeness is ok, I’m usually one that finds these things far better than what internet posts would lead you to believe, but there’s just something off about it. I think it’s the beard.

Also, since the day I preordered this I planned on having him in his CAR stance with just the handgun, only to find that he can’t really be posed like that. I don’t know if the articulation is limited by the suit (tailoring is definitely the high point here) or what, and maybe I’m doing something wrong, but I just can’t for the life of me get the arms up enough so he has the pistol gripped with both hands at eye level. Like I’m literally standing in the mirror looking at the positioning of my arms and trying to mimic it on the figure and I don’t think it can be done. So that’s pretty lame.

I dunno. I love the John Wick films and I was really excited for this one, but I’m just feeling pretty meh about the whole thing.

The box is really nice though. ☺

Edit: Just for reference this is what I'm trying to do, just with his wrist slightly turned. Seems like it should be doable.

john-wick_john-wick_gallery_5c4bcc1f26fb4.jpg

Last edited:
Got mine today. This is honestly the first time I’ve gotten a figure and been pretty underwhelmed, almost disappointed, by it. If you’re gonna sell a figure of a dude in a suit, the headsculpt to me should be top tier. This one . . . isn’t. It’s not bad, but Keanu/John has pretty distinctive facial hair and it’s far too light and just looks like generic five o’clock shadow as opposed to having the points that come up to the side of his mustache. He just looks like he has a Van Dyke. Also the likeness is ok, I’m usually one that finds these things far better than what internet posts would lead you to believe, but there’s just something off about it. I think it’s the beard.

Also, since the day I preordered this I planned on having him in his CAR stance with just the handgun, only to find that he can’t really be posed like that. I don’t know if the articulation is limited by the suit (tailoring is definitely the high point here) or what, and maybe I’m doing something wrong, but I just can’t for the life of me get the arms up enough so he has the pistol gripped with both hands at eye level. Like I’m literally standing in the mirror looking at the positioning of my arms and trying to mimic it on the figure and I don’t think it can be done. So that’s pretty lame.

I dunno. I love the John Wick films and I was really excited for this one, but I’m just feeling pretty meh about the whole thing.

Edit: Just to show what I’m trying to do.

https://https://www.sideshow.com/collectibles/john-wick-john-wick-hot-toys-903754/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3LnX65Lj4wIVRl8NCh2lCw0GEAAYASAAEgKZH_D_BwE

I can’t for the life of me get him to do this.
Oh man everything you're describing is pretty how much I feel. I love Keanu, I loved JW (1 especially) and I wanted to love this figure, but something about it doesn't blow me away. The headsculpt in hand also doesn't look as impressive as the preview pictures would lead you to believe. I'm still really happy I got it & I'll definitely keep him, but for such a simple design I was hoping to absolutely love this figure.

Your link didn't work, but is it by chance the pose with the handgun in one arm while has the shotgun leaning on his arm? I was trying to get it to look as good as in that picture on their website, but I can't raise his elbow enough to make it look like that and it just ends up looking awkward and unnatural.

Oh man everything you're describing is pretty how much I feel. I love Keanu, I loved JW (1 especially) and I wanted to love this figure, but something about it doesn't blow me away. The headsculpt in hand also doesn't look as impressive as the preview pictures would lead you to believe. I'm still really happy I got it & I'll definitely keep him, but for such a simple design I was hoping to absolutely love this figure.

Your link didn't work, but is it by chance the pose with the handgun in one arm while has the shotgun leaning on his arm? I was trying to get it to look as good as in that picture on their website, but I can't raise his elbow enough to make it look like that and it just ends up looking awkward and unnatural.

I edited my post, photo linking is still kind of a pain in the ass on a tablet.

Agree with you guys on the headsculpt. If the beard was sharper and more well defined I think it would significantly improve the likeness. I was pretty disappointed when I first opened up the box but after playing with a few poses it's grown on me enough that I don't regret purchasing it at least.

DSCF1077 2.jpg

I tried futzing around with him again and I think I’m going to have a to find a new pose for him I like. So that sucks. In other disappointments, the hand they show for the two-handed pistol grip doesn’t appear to have made it into production. So the two hands that kinda work for that only . . . Kinda work.

It is pretty cool that they were able to use the Taran Tactical logos and such on the guns. Awesome little details.

Edit: Just for reference this is what I'm trying to do, just with his wrist slightly turned. Seems like it should be doable.

View attachment 463349

This is the first post I’ve read that sums up my feelings precisely, based on what I’ve seen in the overwhelming majority of photos I’ve seen of this guy. Every post I’ve read, like with most figures, assert that the sculpt is better in hand. Which often times, it is. There’s also often times at least some photos though that reflect that the shortcomings of the sculpt could be due simply to poor lighting, bad angles, etc. In other words, some photos where the sculpt actually does look good, corroborating the assertion that it indeed looks better in hand. RotS Obi-Wan, for instance.

However, with this figure, I just don’t see that. Granted I don’t have it in hand, but I have not seen one photo where the beard doesn’t look like a very soft five-o’clock shadow, and the face seemingly lacking sharp details that dilutes the likeness a bit. I would think if it does indeed look better in hand, there would at least be some photos that would reflect that the sculpt can indeed look good. I personally haven’t seen one yet.

It’s a bummer because I really like JW and want to like and have this figure, but to me it looks more like a generic representation of JW rather than discernibly Keanu as JW. I may still get it in the future just because I really like the character, but I wouldn’t mind getting it used on eBay for a cheaper price. It’s one of those figures for me where it’d be cool to have if I can get it a little bit discounted, but if I don’t ever get it, sad to say because I like the character, it wouldn’t be that big of a deal.

Not a good photo, ground level in a glass, mirrored cabinet.. and I'm terrible at posing, but he's here and next to a certain 80's action superstar icon.

johnwick.jpg

Back