Hot Toys Iron Man Mark 1 re-release

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Josh;3852135[I doubt many are sick of these lines otherwise they wouldn't be making them.[/quote said:
Well that time is coming, Nearly everything has been done, the only thing left to do is remakes, and it's obvious that many are not happy with that.

I think what it is you are sick of these lines because you want something else made. Let's at least be honest about things.

Very well Josh, i don't want to get into an argument, lets just say, I'm tired of the amount of figures that Iron Man, Batman and Predator get, when other licenses get only 2 figures sometimes, it is not fair.

The other licenses may not bring in the cash that remaking and over-indulging in Iron Man does, but that doesn't mean they aren't as worthy and doesn't mean fans of Elias from Platoon or Loki from Thor shouldn't get the figure when HT already have the license to make it.

I'm sure someone will say that milking those licenses give HT the financial ability to take "risks" with other licenses, but HT were making lots of figures from different licenses before depending on the cash flow from Iron Man and others to make them.

I just looked through their catalog. Most of the big updates are a good two years apart for these franchises. I suppose if you're not getting any of these things within the first year, you might as well wait it out for a second version. I may have left one one or two but I did not include stuff with exclusive items like an extra arm or badge.

If you're not getting any sort of Dark Knight stuff, you may as well wait for the new movie to come out and have Hot Toys announce The Dark Knight Rises related merchandise.

Releases to Updates

BATMAN SERIES:
The Dark Knight: MMS71 (11/2008) -> DX02 (2/2010)
Batman Begins: MMS12 (6/2006) -> MMS67 (8/2008) -> Bruce Wayne TF Exclusive (10/2011)
Joker: MMS68 (8/2008) -> Banker Joker (12/2008) / DX01 (11/2009)

IRON MAN SERIES:
Iron Man Mk I: MMS80 (8/2009) -> V2 (2012??)
Iron Man Mk II: MMS78 (4/2009) -> Unleashed (12/2011)
Iron Man Mk III: MMS75 (1/2009) -> Battle Damaged MMS110 (4/2010)
Iron Man Mk IV: MMS123 (12/2010) -> Iron Man Mk IV Gantry w/Mk IV Figure (4/2012) - Alternates: Secret Project (Grey) and Stealth Armor (Blue)

Predicted for future rehashes/updates/wishlist???
Iron Man Tony Stark Mech Test (5/2010) -> ???
Dark Knight Bat Pod MM70 (1/2009) -> Dark Knight Rises Version????
Dark Knight Tumbler MM69 (7/2009) -> Dark knight Rises Version????

~~~~~~~~~

But I mean how long are some of you going to wait? Nobody is getting younger. This is a hobby for the most part anyhow.

No. BRJ was a standard release in that line that came with an additional head to improve the Joker. Now you could argue that the Joker DX was a re-release on the first Joker offering since it included upgrades to the Purple Joker look (which ironically is being re-released itself into a 2.0).

Of the list rattled off the way to look at the "upgrades" were: Mk3=Mk3 BD, Mk2=Mk2AU, Joker=JokerDX=JokerDX2.0, BB Batman=TDKOC=Bruce/Wayne "First Night Out", TDKBatman=Batman DX. Batman pieces have been redone three times in some cases.

The only one to have been straight re-released was the Mk4 which is now included in the gantry setup if you bought it. From the sound of what HT announced on their FB the new Mark I isn't a re-release (the reissuing of the same exact figure) but another upgrade. Not that it makes people feel any better but there is a thin line between the two. It was only a matter of time really until they went back to the wells to capitalize on the secondary hubbub. If people are willing to fork out $700 for a Mark I it's only good business sense to release one for less that people would buy despite whether or not the individual collector like it or whether people think it's good practice for them to do.

agreed on all points. i guess people have different definitions of 're-release.' Hot Toys is calling this new Mark 1 a "relaunch" (their own words). some think a re-release is a 2nd run of a previously released character (regardless of changes, improvements, accessories, new paint-deco, etc.) in any case, this new Mark 1 will be a big seller for Hot Toys. count me in for one.

Last edited:
It was only a matter of time really until they went back to the wells to capitalize on the secondary hubbub. If people are willing to fork out $700 for a Mark I it's only good business sense to release one for less that people would buy despite whether or not the individual collector like it or whether people think it's good practice for them to do.

Not too mention get the price of the figure up toward the $250+ range as this sounds like a deal compared to the $700 market rate.

I really am getting sick of HT doing all of these remakes now. If people didn't jump on the items back when they are available, that is their problem and they can pay the current going rate for those items. HT is really going to shoot themselves in the foot with all of these rereleases because people are going to stop buying V1s of items just to wait for the better V2.

The only thing needing improvement on the Mark 1 was the Tony sculpt. And frankly you should have the helmet down anyway so it could have been a generic face under there for all I cared.

If they insist on rereleasing figures that go for large sums of money, they need to do them from different filmes. Ie Wolverine. Make him in his Logan outfit from any of the original 3 X-men films. People who own the original will be happy and those that missed out will be happy. Just remaking just to remake really take away from these being 'limited edition' collectibles.

I really am getting sick of HT doing all of these remakes now. If people didn't jump on the items back when they are available, that is their problem and they can pay the current going rate for those items. HT is really going to shoot themselves in the foot with all of these rereleases because people are going to stop buying V1s of items just to wait for the better V2.

The only thing needing improvement on the Mark 1 was the Tony sculpt. And frankly you should have the helmet down anyway so it could have been a generic face under there for all I cared.

:goodpost: Hot Toys are dividing their consumer very fast

No they aren't because people aren't protesting with their wallets. They _____ and moan here but when it comes out, it sells out no problem and then we ask for more. If a re-release came out and did nothing, rotted the shelves then they'd get an idea that it's not the best move for them but until that occurs why change the status quo for them? They are making money hand over fist by including a new hat or a different pair of sunglasses and we buy it, myself included.

The hole figure was a bit underesized too, if that matters much.

But it really was HT's best figure of the time -- that's why I wanted it so bad, but not bad enough to pay scalper prices. Happy to get another chance to grab one.

But whether this one is truly better is up to the individual. For example, I didn't see the improvements on the new OC Batman suit worthy to warrant an upgrade. It had a nicer sculpt but a less-than-improved "rubber" suit. So this new Mark I may have an improved sculpt but maybe the suit itself won't be as good.

I think the size does matter, Davy Jones for example was extremely undersized (similarly to the fact that Jack was oversized) and I'd love for them to redo that piece and make it correct. I loved Jones in the films but didn't like how he was shorter and more squat than Jack side by side.

No they aren't because people aren't protesting with their wallets. They _____ and moan here but when it comes out, it sells out no problem and then we ask for more. If a re-release came out and did nothing, rotted the shelves then they'd get an idea that it's not the best move for them but until that occurs why change the status quo for them? They are making money hand over fist by including a new hat or a different pair of sunglasses and we buy it, myself included.

:exactly::goodpost: well said. At the end of the day we all vote with our dollars.

We'll see how this turns out. If it looks amazing, consider me on the list of preorder customers.

TRUE! Just because people here on this forum complain about rereleases just watch how fast a new MK I will sell- HT is in business to make money and they know what they are doing- which is why DX Batman will get rereleased as well as Wolverine and Blade eventually...

Well i'm starting to protest with my wallet, on a figure by figure basis, but you're right this will sell out, but every HT sells out, some right away, some not long after release and some a bit longer, but its' always the same result for HT.

Look at Jack Sparrow DX and Indiana Jones, two iconic characters that are still available at SSC when they will be relased very soon. Indy has problems, but Jack doesn't.

HT needs to get out of the frame of mind that "unless it sells out straight away it isn't profitable" especially in this economy.

Look at the Star Wars 12-inch range, Cody, Bly and others are still available and they Rule!!, it's just a matter of timing and money for some, not lack of interest.

If HT doesn't release a figure again

y_u_no_guy_y_u_no-555px.png

angry board member said:
ARGH! ____ YOU HOT TOYS! I HAVE TO PAY THROUGH THE NOSE FOR THIS PIECE?!?! Y U NO RERELEASE SO I CAN HAVE IT?!?!?

If HT re-releases a figure again with no changes

Angry Board Member said:
ARGH! ____ YOU HOT TOYS! WHY DID I HAVE TO BUY THIS ON THE SECONDARY MARKET IF YOU WERE GOING TO RELEASE AGAIN!?!?! Y U NO KEEP IT TO YOURSELVES? Y U NO SAY ____ THOSE WHO DIDN'T BUY IT?!?!

If HT upgrades a figure

ANGRY BOARD MEMBER said:
ARGH! ____ YOU HOT TOYS!! Y U UPGRADE FIGURE MAKE ME BUY AGAIN BECAUSE I HATE MINE NOW?!?!?! Y U NO GIVE ME SECOND SOLDIER FROM THE LEFT IN CAPTAIN AMERICA INSTEAD OF GIVING ME A BETTER _______!?!?!?

If they are damned if they do and damned if they don't, they might as well make some money off of it.

Look at Jack Sparrow DX and Indiana Jones, two iconic characters that are still available at SSC when they will be relased very soon. Indy has problems, but Jack doesn't.

I doubt anyone is protesting Jack Sparrow. Besides, Jack is an open-ended sale like Batman '89 or Superman. They will take as many orders as they can grab until they start to ship.

I hope people will protest on Indy if he's bad though. I know I will.

Well that time is coming, Nearly everything has been done, the only thing left to do is remakes, and it's obvious that many are not happy with that.

I don't know if it is or not. Some may not be happy but I bet many more are happy.

Very well Josh, i don't want to get into an argument, lets just say, I'm tired of the amount of figures that Iron Man, Batman and Predator get, when other licenses get only 2 figures sometimes, it is not fair.

The other licenses may not bring in the cash that remaking and over-indulging in Iron Man does, but that doesn't mean they aren't as worthy and doesn't mean fans of Elias from Platoon or Loki from Thor shouldn't get the figure when HT already have the license to make it.

I'm sure someone will say that milking those licenses give HT the financial ability to take "risks" with other licenses, but HT were making lots of figures from different licenses before depending on the cash flow from Iron Man and others to make them.

Wasn't looking for an argument. Just adult discourse thats all. Well, those figures make money are are from far more popular lines than many of the other ones they have. It is annoying when they only do 2 figures from say Thor when they should do at least three. However, licenses like Platoon aren't popular enough to make them all.

its pretty simple.. is anyone that doesn't own this figure mad about this updated version.

I don't own it. I am excited for it.

Yeah Hot Toys knows what they're doing! of course they do, one word Noland :cuckoo:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back