Hot Toys Iron Man Fade Issue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the process of buying a normal MK3 at the moment. Don't want to spend to much on one since I already have the BD. My guess is it will come apart fairly simple compared to the BD. If not that's why I like to use glue :D

Lol.
I took apart one of my normal MKIII figures just now.
It comes apart fairly easily for the torso, but the arms will be a pain to get apart and paint as individual pieces.
But i fancy have a go at it before my HOA gets here.

I too was waiting for someone to do the BDMK3 but I could not resist. The fade on him was horrible. I think if I would of gaved my torso 2 extra coats of Gaia #41 it would of been perfect. But I was satisfied how it turned out with just 2 wet coats and did not want to overdue it and ruining it.

image_zpsb0299985.jpg
image_zps725dc06c.jpg

Very nice job and thanks for posting.

Did you just paint directly over the torso or did you do a rub to get any paint off?

On my Mark IV I did an acetone rub on the interior of the panties to get the factory silver paint off before I hit them with the airbrush.

Lol.
I took apart one of my normal MKIII figures just now.
It comes apart fairly easily for the torso, but the arms will be a pain to get apart and paint as individual pieces.
But i fancy have a go at it before my HOA gets here.

That's good to hear. Im planing on taking the chest apart but not the arms and legs into individual pieces. I Will have to use masking tape for the arms and legs. But we will see once I have one in hand. And I'm jealous you are getting the HOA! I'm still missing Mark V.

Very nice job and thanks for posting.

Did you just paint directly over the torso or did you do a rub to get any paint off?

On my Mark IV I did an acetone rub on the interior of the panties to get the factory silver paint off before I hit them with the airbrush.

I brushed the paint off with lacquer Thinner with a toothbrush lol.

I have been contemplating coloring a Mark II AU figure if I can snag one for on the cheaper side. Is there a specific shade of gold that is the correct gold to use?

I have been contemplating coloring a Mark II AU figure if I can snag one for on the cheaper side. Is there a specific shade of gold that is the correct gold to use?

I really don't know. I currently have a bottle of Metallic gold and will be experimenting with it.

I really don't know. I currently have a bottle of Metallic gold and will be experimenting with it.

Well I would very much like to see pictures when you are done.

I am in no rush to start mine. I am just going to keep checking ebay. Someone is bound to put up a loose/no box Mk II AU figure. I don't want to buy MISB for a project that I am probably going to mess up on :rotfl

If you're spray painting, Dupli Color Sunburst Gold matches the Mark 3 gold. Google it and you'll see that it's the gold that a lot of people use on their Iron Man Mark 3 prop.

Ask HologramAI. He has been painting his custom MKVII faceplates and they look spot on.

That's good to hear. Im planing on taking the chest apart but not the arms and legs into individual pieces. I Will have to use masking tape for the arms and legs. But we will see once I have one in hand. And I'm jealous you are getting the HOA! I'm still missing Mark V.

I've had mine on order for ages, but i expect it will be a while yet before it gets here.
I am in no rush for it.
For the MKIII, you'd have to prise off the rear flaps(The larger ones). They cover a couple of screw holes that would really hinder the chest removal otherwise...

This is why I value this forum so much. It gives amateurs such as myself a fighting chance to fix our figures. Lol....

I too had these problems with BD MKIII, IV, VI. Bought me an airbrush & compressor for 80$ on eBay. First time doing this sort of work and I have to say it was simple and fun. I actually wished I had more suits to fix since it kept me entertained. Planing on buying a reg MKIII and painting the whole suit giving it that Bright Candy Red Look.

93109909-0a81-488f-9344-23fdd7b520f5_zps5ad697a1.jpg
98e221a6-2c98-41f8-a136-98d2b107606e_zpsc885b6b8.jpg

image_zpsb57e3cac.jpg
image_zpsa1f4920b.jpg
Nicely done. How did you separate the torso from the abs? Or remove the rubber neck piece for that matter.

Happy to report it came out pretty good just giving the rubber abs and neck piece a fresh top coat. :D

Thanks again Clownz :hi5:

Mk3BDTorsoFix2_zps4cf3dc0d.jpg

Well I checked out my figures last night and my Mark III BD badly needs a repaint. My Mark IV is getting there and will probably be there soon enough. The Mark VI looks a lot worse in person than it does in pictures.

27372CD4-8FBB-4BFC-A85A-57796B1F7C89.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

7013D2A3-B804-4E99-BA8A-558FC1DEEFD5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

0D0C8969-78A8-43AF-BE98-70F4B64C51DB.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Nicely done. How did you separate the torso from the abs? Or remove the rubber neck piece for that matter.

I pulled the inside enough to get my exacto knife in there to cut the rubber plug. Once apart I scraped the remaining rubber from the hole so when I put it back I have enough to plug it back in with epoxy glue. If this makes sense lol.

Back