Hot Toys - Iron Man 3 - Mark XXXIX / Starboost

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you like it, guys.

My god, what kind of lense are you using...

It's a Canon macro lens ef 100mm 2.8. Also, I'm not comfortable with people calling me god. ;)

What background are you using?

Just plain old boring black paper. It has a strobe up against it, which creates the gradient. The only thing I did in Photoshop was to resize the image for web. That's straight out of the camera.

Glad you like it, guys.

It's a Canon macro lens ef 100mm 2.8. Also, I'm not comfortable with people calling me god. ;)

Just plain old boring black paper. It has a strobe up against it, which creates the gradient. The only thing I did in Photoshop was to resize the image for web. That's straight out of the camera.

Odd I use that lense :lol

Smaller aperture and stand like 50ft away? :lol:lol:lol

I have that lens too. Good glass. I just got they reading a review of the new 5ds. 50mp. Man would that be nice. Pair with the 60mp-e or the 16-35 or 50L. Man. I think even I could get some good photos.

I can't wait to try to photograph some figures once I have them set up. I highly doubt I'll be achieving results like what has been shown here, but I'm anxious to try. Trouble is, I'm rocking a 2006-era Nikon D80 and a couple of stock lenses - nothing too special. What's worse is that I have little photographic talent! :slap

Honestly the camera is not as important as the user. Though u said you had no skill, you may surprise yourself. Are you the type that does really neat (or any lol) poses to display your figures? If so you will be fine. Besides, if you enjoy it or like the pics the rest doesn't much matter right?

Lighting is a big big deal though. It will effect the image more then anything else.

I have that lens too. Good glass. I just got they reading a review of the new 5ds. 50mp. Man would that be nice. Pair with the 60mp-e or the 16-35 or 50L. Man. I think even I could get some good photos.

Sounds impressive. I'm not much of a gear-head, to be honest. My tech knowledge is pretty limited. I haven't looked at new cameras in years. (My personal kit is built around an aging Nikon D200.) My only real criterion is that the sensor has to have the same surface area as a 35mm negative. We have 5D Mk IIs at work, which is where this was shot. They meet that condition nicely.

Honestly the camera is not as important as the user. Though u said you had no skill, you may surprise yourself. Are you the type that does really neat (or any lol) poses to display your figures? If so you will be fine. Besides, if you enjoy it or like the pics the rest doesn't much matter right?

Lighting is a big big deal though. It will effect the image more then anything else.
I definitely agree. I'm the type of photographer that takes tons of pics and hopes a few turn out well.

As for my figures, I haven't displayed them yet because I have been reorganizing the theater lobby to accommodate them. With each passing day, I get a little closer to doing that. Once I have them out, I want to use them as a chance to practice photography. That's secondary to just flat-out enjoying them, of course!

Sounds impressive. I'm not much of a gear-head, to be honest. My tech knowledge is pretty limited. I haven't looked at new cameras in years. (My personal kit is built around an aging Nikon D200.) My only real criterion is that the sensor has to have the same surface area as a 35mm negative. We have 5D Mk IIs at work, which is where this was shot. They meet that condition nicely.

Can I ask why you only want full frame sensor cameras? (That's what a 35mm film equivalent is called in case u didn't know)

It's the biggest sensor (capture area) for the invested lenses.... or largest variety of lenses

I get that it's bigger surface wise. But that's not all that important.

And as for lenses...the smaller crop type sensors actually offer more lens choice. The lenses designed exclusively for crop body camera do not fit on full frame, but full full frame all fit crop body.

I am just trying to see why you limit to only full frame. I shoot with canon myself, but Nikon has pretty much a competing lens or body for anything canon does. And a couple of canons crop body's are better then the full frame. Full frame is better if you go best vs best, but they are also a lot more money. If you are not blowing the image up super large then a crop body is as good as full frame from my experience. Especially if you are looking to compare an older full vs a newer gen crop.

Hey guys, look for my Son and I again in the next Sideshow email.

Richter Boys Review Hot Toys Iron Man Figures

IMG_5822-900x600.jpg

I get that it's bigger surface wise. But that's not all that important.

And as for lenses...the smaller crop type sensors actually offer more lens choice. The lenses designed exclusively for crop body camera do not fit on full frame, but full full frame all fit crop body.

I am just trying to see why you limit to only full frame. I shoot with canon myself, but Nikon has pretty much a competing lens or body for anything canon does. And a couple of canons crop body's are better then the full frame. Full frame is better if you go best vs best, but they are also a lot more money. If you are not blowing the image up super large then a crop body is as good as full frame from my experience. Especially if you are looking to compare an older full vs a newer gen crop.

It's a personal preference. I'd get into it, but I visit this board to take a break from thinking about photography, which I have to think about all week. :wave

Personally I'm just used to shooting on a full frame camera, it's what I always have used for portrait photography. I've had a 5D and 30D for years. Whenever I use the 30D I feel like I'm looking through a tunnel because I'm not used to the crop factor.

That said, if I shoot something far away like sports, or animals or something like that, I use the 30D because it "gets me closer" sorta.

But if I used the 30D to shoot portraits of someone, I feel like I'd have to stand much further away than I'm used to. Not a huge deal, it's just different.

Anybody thought about shooting photos of Starboost with a 3ds camera? Would be nice to shoot photos in 3d

Someone needs to strap Starboost with a GoPro camera and send them both up in a weather balloon into space filming the way up and the fiery crash back down to Earth. :lol

Personally I'm just used to shooting on a full frame camera, it's what I always have used for portrait photography. I've had a 5D and 30D for years. Whenever I use the 30D I feel like I'm looking through a tunnel because I'm not used to the crop factor.

That said, if I shoot something far away like sports, or animals or something like that, I use the 30D because it "gets me closer" sorta.

But if I used the 30D to shoot portraits of someone, I feel like I'd have to stand much further away than I'm used to. Not a huge deal, it's just different.

Makes sense. I've also got both style bodies. My crop camera is newer though and I've found it takes a little better quality pics. But I am really looking at the new 5ds as an upgrade and get rid of the others. On top of the 50mp full frame sensor it has the ability to function like both smaller canon crop sensors (1.3 and 1.6 crop factors) at the push of s button. So that will allow me to keep that extra reach on my long glass and still get the full frame effect on the short/wide end. Couple the 5ds with the new wide angle L and I'd be in heaven!

Back